DVDVR Message Board

The Really Swell News Thread

OSJ

26 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Well, keep in mind that sometimes when there's a light at the end of the tunnel, it's an oncoming train.

Living up to your username, eh? ?

I purposely didn't mention seeing a light at the end, and sure as fuck wouldn't suggest any change in safety policy. Just having a little hope for positivity for a millisecond, that alright?

• Like 2

Got my first dose a bit over a week ago. In MS if you are under 65 it is hard to get it now. Looked at all the things that might let me get it now,and the only one that I thought might work is "If you are a heavy smoker."  They never said heavy smoker of what... So on my way to get it stopped at a local store grabbed a cheap pack of smokes and a lighter and tossed them into my shirt pocket. 

After getting it,got Moderma,I felt like shit for 4 days. Was describing the symptons I had to my girlfriend. "That sounds like a low grade version of the flu". Since I have never had the flu I had no clue. 

Going on April 14th to get dose two.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I got to hug my dad for the first time in more than a year.  That was nice and I recommend it.

I would give anything to be able to hug my dad again.  So glad you got to do that!

• Sad 1

On 4/5/2021 at 6:13 PM, Tabe said:

I would give anything to be able to hug my dad again.

Me too, Tabe.

But only good news.  Hey!  I got my first COVID shot last Saturday (PFIZER~!) and my second appointment is on the 24th of this month!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 7

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I got my second shot. I have not yet developed superpowers, but I can hug my friends soon, and that's good enough for me.

Government gave me and my wife $1,400 each in stimulus money - even though we make too much money to qualify and didn't receive anything from the first two rounds.  Spent wayyyy too much time over the past week trying to correct the error and return the money, only to finally talk to someone today and be told to keep it.  Conversation was so off-kilter that I'm not entirely sure if the agent didn't believe it was an error or just didn't care.  Probably both.

I'm tempted to spend $1,400 in Xbox estore this week, but we'll probably give it to our kids.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm sure if you are well off enough that you could even think about spending that much money on video games, you could probably donate it to a local charity. 

I could, but two of my kids recently graduated college and haven't been able to find jobs in their fields, so they're basically marginally employed at the moment and could use the money more.  

Besides, it's not an either/or situation.  Wife and I have a couple local charities that we've been involved with for years and try to help out with both donations and time.  If it matters to you, I'm on taxi duty for a local shelter this weekend  Saturday morning, I'll be picking up a van full of doggos and chauffeuring them to two different vets and back.  My wife also seems to give to a lot religious groups.  I stay out of that because religion is an issue in our marriage, but we got on all these groups' mailing lists somehow. 

I probably have spent a grand or two lately in various eshops.  Spent a decent bit on PS3 and Vita games since they announced the closing of those estores, and I recently got an external drive for my Wii U so I've downloaded quite a few Wii/Wii U games lately.  It's nuts that Nintendo still charges $60 for Wii U games in 2021, but it's not up to me.

Edited by Eoae
fixed a typo or two.
  • Like 1

Got shot two yesterday.  I'm right at what is supposed to be the worst point for side effects now. Wiped out tired, muscles are weak and got a headache - which is about what actual Covid was for me since I only had a mild case.  I'm assuming the muscle weakness won't go on for months like it did with the actual disease.  Glad to have it done, and ready to ease up a little bit on our family Covid protocols, though we'll still be careful.

• Like 7

Me and my wife had Pfizer #1 dose today - super excited to get this over and look forward to spending our first proper summer in California. 

On 4/5/2021 at 8:46 AM, Octopus said:

I’M GONNA BE A DAD!!!

We became first time parents at New Years - it's scary - but it's so fucking awesome.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Celebrated my 40th by refinancing our mortgage and I'm gonna spend some of the money we save on a grill.  I am going to fucking crush being middle aged.

It’s not like our rate is bad or anything (bought in December 2011) but one big failure was not refinancing last year. There were just too many things to balance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt D said:

It’s not like our rate is bad or anything (bought in December 2011) but one big failure was not refinancing last year. There were just too many things to balance.

We were on an ARM since I had no credit history when we bought the condo so we were pretty desperate to get on a fixed rate.

All credit should go to my wife who's the one who thought to talk to our lender when rates were low.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

We became first time parents at New Years - it's scary - but it's so fucking awesome.  

Good luck.  I don't think I'd want to go through the early years again (we had 4 kids in just under six years), but, 20+ years later, I wouldn't trade any of it.  

If you have a big family, have boys, lol.  We had four girls.  I have no idea how I survived their teen years.  We wanted six kids.  I can confidently say the wife and I were out of our goddamn minds when we thought that might be a good idea.

Edited by Eoae

Six years after arriving, the family and I have the ceremony to officially become Aussie citizens tomorrow morning. Barbie and beer afterwards come rain or shine, of course (and I know how blessed we are to have such a normal life down here, one of the reasons I have avoided the COVID chat in these parts, can’t help but feel guilty about it all)

• Like 6