DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

The AAA story is they wanted a name that no one else anywhere is using, so he would be the first thing to come up when you google it. The issue is you end up with a bizarre looking name that no one can spell or is even sure how to pronounce. 

The thing is, I know how to spell Mr. Mxyzptlk the correct way from memory, but have no fucking idea what the correct spelling of Mistico's new name is.  As for how to pronounce it, the answer will be "BITCH" after this weekend so that's all you have to know.

I had a rather large group of friends asking for tickets.  About half of us got into the tapings - which means despite having a WWE house show the same weekend, LU ticket requests were probably filled in an hour or so.

Yeah, it's free, but I wouldn't go to a free non-NXT WWE taping and sit through two shows worth of Kane and Big Show tag matches or something.

There's a Pentagon Jr. mask on Ebay right now but it won't come in time for the show.  The seller mislabeled it as an Octagon Jr. mask.  You guys can go for it.

Pentagon Jr. is fucking awesome.  Angelico/Ivelise was sleazy yet an interesting of doing man vs. woman matches.  It works in him not wanting to hit her yet she's just out to destroy him.  Fun stuff.  The video packages were TREMENDOUS this week.  King Cuerno riding to the arena was some of the coolest stuff around.  I loved that so much.  And the cage match was lots of fun with neat ways of using the cage.

And for the first time in ages, I'm extremely excited for a casket match!  The previews have me insanely hyped for this.  And unlike TNA who spoils their stuff, you get a taste of next week yet in no way do you know how it's going to turn out.  I love this show with all my heart.  Between this and NXT, LU won for sure.

King Cuerno riding to the arena was some of the coolest stuff around.  I loved that so much. 

I didn't think twice about it, but my daughter *loved* it.  And she's scared of King Cuerno, so once she realized who was driving she changed her mind about how cool he was.

The poor kid, she's scared of Pentagon Jr and King Cuerno.  She thinks Konnan looks like Old Charlie Brown though, as long as she can come up with one line that good every show I'll always share my popcorn with her on Wednesdays.

• Like 1

Most weeks I like the show a good bit, but man did I hate the Mundo/Cuerno cage match.  A gimmick that limited the strengths of both guys, and in the case of Mundo really shined a lot on his weaknesses (absolutely awful looking strikes of all sorts).  I really wanted to like it, but it was one of the more disappointing matches of the year given the hype.

That said Pentagon Jr. is indeed awesome

They screwed up not having Cuerno lawn dart Mundo into the side of the cage with the Arrow tope. Maybe it was just too dangerous to pull off at full speed. I kept waiting for that all match and got nothing. 

EDIT: Well I guess that would be Cuerno lawn darting himself into the cage, really. Whatever. 

I don't understand why Mistico would take up such a goofy name when he has license to use his own or even Sin Cara, which I thought was WWE property but he actually owns the rights to. Myztezyz reminds me of Mr. Mxyzptlk from DC Comics (had to look that up).

Let's see if anyone can trick him into saying his name backwards.

• Like 1

For all the inherent problems and flaws of the premise of the match, Sexy Star and Angelico was actually a blast. One of the better abjectly performative matches I've seen in a while. I never at any point thought I was watching a real athletic event but it was fun. 

I just caught up on that AAA TV show from Arena Naucalpan. Man, that's probably my show of the year so far.

Are people pretty high on Hijo del Pirata Morgan? He seems to fit the profile of a guy who's going to be a big star some day.

He's been in IWRG a lot and he hasn't had many standout matches but has consistently been good. 

AAA is high on him. He's been in and around the company since he was a teenager but AAA suddenly discovered he's tall this year. It's strikes of AAA's tendency to get really excited about a future prospect only for him to be out of the company twelve months later. (Pirata and crew is getting the Daga/Eterno/Steve Pain spot, basically.)

Always been a fan of Pirata. He looked super impressive even in his teenage years when he was working with the Aero Star, Gato Eveready, Super Fly, Barrio Boys crew.

I think he'll stick around in AAA b/c Lolita (his wife) just gave birth a while back and that's when Pirata started to get more bookings. AAA may feel like they owe the family a source of income since Lolita isn't back working and who knows if she even will be.

Lucha Underground Report 3/18/15

Aerostar vs. Drago (3rd match out of the Best of 5 Series): Both guys are tied with one win apiece so lets see who gets the advantage going forward! Hey, we start out with matwork for a change, nice. Drago does some cool legwork tying Aerostar up in pretzels. Aerostar does a neat double corner skin-the-cat and ends up kneeing Drago in the face to go on offense. Man, that springboard tope en reversa (la Boldita) is just suicidal. The doublestomp to the apron was pretty contrived as Drago has to hang there way too long. Drago has a super corkscrew plancha, but Aero easily trumps him by running the ropes with one leg on either side of the middle one into a toprope rana. You read that right. Absolutely never seen it before, maybe contrived as well but fuck it was crazy. The springboard splash wins it for Aerostar again and we get another handshake. This was a lot slower than their last two, not as wild as the last one but the spots are just out of this world again. I hope next one they get more heated but as it is this is some Eddy vs. Malenko in ECW Arena level shit with the crowd responding similarly. 

Konnan video with him talking about chess. He beats up some guys with his rebar cane, intercut with him beating Puma at chess in a park somewhere. What can I say? They do this stuff better than anyone. Then we get a Cricket Wireless Signature Move of the Week bit with Pentagon Jr. hitting his package piledriver a couple times. Three up four down baby. 

Big Ryck vs. The Crew (No DQ, 3-on-1 Elimination Match): OH SHIT. This episode is stacked. Ryck has the patch on again! Vamp calls it a prison fight (brother). Crew gets in the corner dropkick spot which always looks nasty. They're just stomping his ass until Ryck mashes them into each other and Bael just EATS a chair stuck in the corner face first. He eliminates Bael then does a double goozle (Vamp says "he's got him by the trachea", rolling the Rs like he's Spanish!) and lariats Castro with the cane, which doesn't look good but it does the job. Now it's Cisco's turn and he pusses out trying to escape until Sexy Star literally kicks his ass down the stairs. Ryck busts his eye open with a big punch and some forearms, then Uranage's him onto an open chair... the seat gives, the back doesn't. OUCH. That was fan-tastic. Crew take their beatings like men (well, not Cisco. BTW Sexy kicks the piss out of him on the floor before tossing him into the ring) and Ryck is gonna be great as a face. Second time we get blood in Lucha Underground and I am of course a happy man.

Next week we get AAA Championship BULLROPE MATCH between Alberto and Texano and a Boyle Heights Streetfight between Cage and Prince Puma for the LU title! They're stacking the card again...

Mil Muertes vs. Fenix (Grave Consequences Coffin Match): We get a bunch of Dia de los Muertes-dressed folks to bring out the awesome coffin. It looks like a procession of voodoo houdons (or a bunch of Papa Shangos for some of you less educated folks). Hey somebody has a Pentagon Jr. shirt in the crowd, guess dude bought it from him in the parking lot. Mil takes a page out of Fenix's book by tope-ing him from the jump. After a brief beating Fenix hits a big hilo which Vamp says is like a mummified body getting tossed off the side of a ship, hahaha. He also talks about "being involved in vampire cults most of my life". Mil takes over again using the flower arrangements to his advantage but Fenix DDTs him on the coffin. He attempts a tope but Mil picks up the coffin and blasts him in the face then stands on the coffin and poses! Just awesome. Then he goes for the mask ripping and takes the bottom rope off. He busts open Fenix with the turnbuckle screw and LICKS THE BLOOD OFF!!! Now he's just chasing him up the stairs punching him directly in the face and tossing him into the rails. He threatens to toss him off the balcony but ends up tossing him facefirst into the air vent making him roll off the balcony. Then he powerbombs his ass on the fucking announce table that doesn't give. Mil pulls the coffin in the corner of the ring and belly-to-belly's him into the damn lid before pulling a full-on Pirata Morgan with the blood drinking/spitting. Fenix hits a great superkick but gets a lungblower off the top; he's pretty much toasted by now. Christ now Mil is beating his ass through the crowd! Fenix recovers though and hits a hilo off the first level railing... then Mil mashes his head into the rail, then Fenix superkicks him again and hits a moonsault off the rail. This is nuts. Mil accidentally lariats Catrina and Vamp accidentally says "shit" on the mic. She gets back up and opens the coffin behind Mil and Fenix doublestomps him off the top; he rolls into the coffin, Catrina licks the stone before tossing it in and slamming the lid. FUCKING HELL that was the best match. Insane brawl, super spots, blood, a possible heel turn from Fenix, if you don't watch this you are fucking stupid. FUCK!

The best episode of Lucha Underground hands down and the best full episode of wrestling I've seen in years. I know, I never see the PPVs and don't get to see NXT, but this has to be right up there with any of them. I'm watching the replay at midnight without fail.

Do yourself a favor and take tromataker's advice. DO NOT READ MY REVIEW, JUST WATCH THE SHOW. I REPEAT, DO NOT READ MY REVIEW, JUST WATCH THE SHOW. The spoilers are truly spoilers this time. 

• Like 1

If you're talking about reading what I wrote I don't really care. As far as talking about what happened let's get to it. People that haven't watched yet have fair warning.

After watching it again, what it really reminded me of was a really good episode of ECW. The first match, as noted, was your Eddy/Dean match, the second was your big angle blowoff like Dreamer finally taking it to Raven, and the last match was your gimmick bloodbath (take your pick of analogies there). Actually it was way way better than your random Hardcore TV. Konnan would probably be pretty flattered to hear that.

EDIT: Also, how the hell is Vampiro becoming my favorite wrestling announcer? The wildly divergent dips into Canadian and Spanish pronunciation of words, the corny namechecks to things he's done before and stuff like boxers and hockey players, and him managing to rein in Striker recently have really won him over with me. Some of the shit coming out of his mouth this episode was hilarious ("vampire cults"! suuuuure Vamp) and he is really enthusiastic every episode. 

• Like 1

Konnan would probably be pretty flattered to hear that.

I think so to, but watching that show and watching Rey de Reyes in the same night really illustrated the difference in philosophies between the two. Konnan definitely runs AAA, and has a lesser influence on Lucha Underground. I'm sure he helped come up with the some of last night's chaos, but Chris DeJoseph should be the name people are putting down on the Best Booker of The Year voting if things stay like this, and the rest of the creative crew deserve credit too.

Also deserving credit: Fenix and Mil Muertes, who are crazy people.

That match was absolutely bonkers and I loved every second of it. I probably need to watch it again, as I was watching with a friend and we inevitably started talking about how great it was and I may have missed some stuff. Fantastic match. I know it's not up against stiff competition but was that the best casket match of all times? Is this the end of Banderas in LU for a while? I hope not, because he's such a bad ass. 

And, yes, Vampiro is David Crockett in the year 2015. He's a bit more reined in than Crockett and has a few valuable insights going back to his wrestling days but for the most part he's just a fan with a mic and it's great. He cracks me up in a good way at least once an episode.

Cubs, I was just talking about Konnan's love for ECW/Heyman booking. If he has had a hand in the actual booking here then kudos to him. Either way he's coming off as an awesome character for the second time since I've been watching him (first time was him in TNA as a mouthpiece, but I've been watching him since WCW and never liked him until then). 

I want Banderas to come back with yet another character. Hell he could come back as Mesias and I'd be fine with that. But for fuck's sake, after that let him win some matches! 

On second though, let Muertes be LU's Undertaker. Have mysterious promos leading to his return and Fenix getting spooked. If Catrina wasn't so wooden she would help with this, but her "worried" face during the match last night was a blank slate. For someone who had personality in NXT she's really failing here in everything but just being attractive.