DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

No promotion is as so dumb to self immolate themselves like that. (Except maybe TNA)

However, if you're a running a subscription site and need more people to sign up, this is a pretty good story to keep going. Whatever's happening on Tuesday won't be the end if it - Vince Russo is in the business of getting people to talk about Vince Russo.

So if there is famistan for "the p.r.o.duct" (you know what I mean), can we get one for "Vince Russo"?  Something insulting about him would work.  Because if he does anything with LU a famistan would save me from doing extra typing.

It's amazing to think how he hasn't been blackballed by everybody.  How can anybody possibly like the fucker?

Lucha Underground Report 2/25/15

Aerostar vs. Drago: Aerostar gets the jobber entrance but his costume is BALLER. No idea how Aero bounces off the bottom rope inside out to the bottom rope outside for a dive, that looks so easy to screw up. He seems to botch a flip over Drago in the corner as he basically sentons into his face but they just keep going instead of letting Drago get hurt off it like it looks. They do this insane ten-step rollup pin before Aero splatters Drago with a sunset flip powerbomb outside and wins with his toprope dive. Felt like much more fun of a sprint than the first one. Dario comes out and says they're gonna go best-of-five against each other for "one of my "unique opportunities"" (air quotes his). Lets see if they can do more than lightning matches after this. I'd like to see one be able to ground the other for a little while and let their work breathe more though that's clearly not their forte.

Prince Puma vs. Cage: Cage is immediately tossing Puma around; they fuck up a headscissors then Cage dumps Puma right on his head on a toss to the apron and the outside. Cage curling his opponent before the fallaway slam is pretty funny and a good heel spot for a guy that big. Puma finally comes back and hits a fucking insane springboard Shooting Star to the outside. Luckily Cage is a good base! He misses his 630 dive and Cage goes into finisher mode. Konnan comes out to ringside to encourage Puma but Cage powerbombs him several times and hits the Weapon X (the Gory Special into Sister Abigail), starts punching him in the mount and... Konnan throws in the towel? Well I haven't seen that since Arnold Skaalund was alive. They'll probably anglefy this into Konnan turning but that's fine by me; Cage gets his title match and things move right along. Some of the transitions were sloppy but Cage sold well and Puma bumped like a freak. Pretty good match. People that complain about every Sheamus move being a finisher should watch a Cage match and see what that really looks like.

Konnan's in the back telling Puma he did him a favor, they need to work their plan, walks off. Sexy Star is complaining about getting it done alone to Dario so he puts her in a match with Big Ryck where interference is guaranteed not to happen so no one can save her. Sexy smiles in response to this (really?) and Dario gives her a sleazy wink. I certainly wouldn't be happy about being put in with Ryck but I bet she lays down for him so he can go stomp the Crew. Oh and Pimpi and Mascarita are in the hospital. Missed some of this as I was typing and they were speaking Spanish. 

ROH ads are playing on Lucha Underground. Fits because Alberto's on the bill for the 13th Anniversary show. 

Pentagon Jr. vs. Vinny Massaro: SQUASH TIME! Pentagon says the match is dedicated to his master. I think it's funny that they actually give Massaro a moment of backstory on commentary. The driver (whatever kind that is) crushes Massaro and Pentagon sets up a table then powerbombs him through it off the top before the arm break. Massaro is a total pro and sells great for all this, takes some mean slaps from Pentagon too. Keep the jobbers coming! 

King Cuerno vs. Johnny Mundo: They're playing the knee up on commentary so hopefully Mundo sells the fucking thing this time. They brawl before Mundo hits a cool kind of tornillo where he's curled his legs in like a cannonball. Cuerno starts working the knee but they blow it off; Mundo hits a really good spear. They say they're showing everything but some of this almost looks clipped when they do something off, like that roll-through armbar something. Big arrow tope then another one that sends Mundo into the announce table. He's selling the knee again... ugh. THIRD tope from Cuerno! Both guys are just standing there and they do a DDQ? C'mon guys, at least stay laying on the floor. They brawl and Mundo hits a wild tope from the floor through the corner ropes. They brawl up into the balcony and Mundo splatters Cuerno through a section of chainlink fence. Fun stuff, but Mundo, just don't sell the leg. It's pointless. 

Uh oh, Black Lotus is in the trunk of a car and somebody in a mask says "what do you know about lucha anyway? Come with me" before yanking her out. 

For a match-heavy episode this was pretty solid. Everyone had their working boots on and even if the finishes were dumb the content was on point. The flying in this ep was so head and shoulders above anything else you will see in the world, maybe even the rest of Mexico, so if that's your thing then enjoy.

Was it just me or was the crowd dead silent in-between chants? Modern wrestling crowds can be downright awful sometimes.

Aerostar's double springboard plancha was nuts. Mundo's double corkscrew was something I hadn't seen before. But the spot of the night had to be Puma's triple jump shooting star press to the outside. He got such ridiculous height and seemed to glide through the air. What a beaut! None of the matches were outstanding but each seemed to have a spectacular, breathtaking spot that needs to be seen.

GTFO of this thread Canucklehead! I'm just kidding of course, you're dead on. The highspots on this show are must-see out of this world stuff. Aero Star is so creative... maybe the most creative guy of all-time in using the ropes for spots. I don't even know how he comes up with the shit he does. Imagine the stuff he tries in training that just can't be done? *mind blown*

Mundo's dive was ridiculous. Who thinks of something like that? I used to spend hours trying to create these incredible never before seen spots and if you gave me the ability to stay awake 24/7 thinking up stuff that would have never crossed my mind.

This show was freakin' amazing and more than made up for last week's very ordinary episode. Like I said on twitter - Lucha Underground is MatRats on speed.

That Aero Star spot seems really dangerous and I can't imagine it's something he can hit 100% of the time. Just going from the gifs and the odd matches of his I've seen, he seems like he has a death wish with those suicide dives leading with his head and not his hands. I mean, sure, I'll watch and enjoy the shit out of it! But, it's scary too, dammit.

I've said it before including to Aero Star himself - he does so much unnecessary springboards like off the 2nd rope outside the ring or the double jump one tonight where the margain of error is so minute he could easily look like a fool... but on the opposite end the times he hits those spots perfectly just make your jaw drop at how it's even possible.

He has this one trick where he dives outside the ring near the ringpost, grabs the post as he's diving through the ropes and uses the momentum to swing around back onto the apron on the other side of the ring. I think it's only possible with a six sided ring though because the apron is closer.

Was it just me or was the crowd dead silent in-between chants? Modern wrestling crowds can be downright awful sometimes.

Yeah, I noticed that as well especially in the opener. It was a weird crowd.

Really glad to see cubs is keeping track of all the broken arms at the hands of Pentagon Jr. He might have to create a special page on the luchawiki or do what he does with masks/hair stip wins but have Pentagon Jr's broken arm record.

It's pretty bad ass that just breaking a man's arm is not enough to appease Pentagon Jr.'s master, that he now needs to put them through tables first. I really enjoy how they're handling the character. Who's his first real big scalp?

No matter what the crowd's reasons were, it was nice that Striker and Vamp covered by saying that they were sitting silently in appreciation of what's going on in the ring. The two seem to be gelling as a pair because I didn't hear many references or joking this time around, they were really focused on the action and it was a breath of fresh air. 

As for the spots, maybe I missed one or two from Aerostar because of the speed of the match, but my numbers one and two for pure madness were 

2. the springboard SSP to the outside from Puma -- if Cage didn't catch him that would've been horrific

1. Mundo skitting through the first and second ropes next to the post from the floor -- no idea how he measured that and didn't catch his feet or any other body part with the speed he shot off at

Who knew the domestic guys might be outdoing some of the actual luchadores in dives on this show?

Vampiro has won me over big time. He's like a poor man's Dusty Rhodes at this point, in that he's got this wealth of experience to call upon but really he's just a fan at heart enjoying the action. My heart warms every time I hear either "oh my gaaaaahd" or a "bruther" but it's best of all when the two combine.

And while I strongly dislike how Raw spends a great deal of time on recaps of what we just saw, I felt like they could've used a recap to remind fans of Cuerno's attack on Mundo last week to refresh the memory of both motivation behind the match and the hurt knee (which was kinda there when it was convenient).