DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Take an equally comparable guy to Sexy Star, he's getting destroyed as being incompetent & useless. But Sexy Star is purdy & has boobies so "she's okay". Women's wrestling fans are so transparent.

Hi. I'm CrazyMax46. I'm the guy not judging people on what you like and don't like. How are you?

I'm also not a "women's wrestling fan" I'm a wrestling fan.

• Like 1

I still don't think Sexy Star sucks. She's merely okay.

You didn't see all the stuff edited out of the shows, including matches that had to be completely retaped. I did. She sucks.

That explains it. Based on what we saw on television, I never thought she was that bad either. Not fantastic but not shitty either.

Take an equally comparable guy to Sexy Star, he's getting destroyed as being incompetent & useless. But Sexy Star is purdy & has boobies so "she's okay". Women's wrestling fans are so transparent.

Who said something like that?  The whole thread has been mainly us trashing her as either being at best not good and at worst fucking horrible.  If somebody said she's not that bad then they might not have seen what was at the tapings (like what Jamal said).  And it has nothing to do with her looks.

Besides, for years people were ripping apart HHH for marrying Steph.  He wasn't shitty, true, but still got his share of criticism.  So no, doesn't appear to be a gender issue in this one.

There are a few problems with Sexy Star in Lucha Underground, a combination of ability and positioning.  

One of the biggest issues I have with her is that she's simply not very good in the ring.  Lucha Underground's style is typically flashy and athletic, and Sexy Star simply can't compete in these areas.  This creates the awful spectacle of her opponents having to slow down and throttle back to accommodate her limitations - this is the same issue I see with Pimpinela Escarlata, where they are trying to work a style consistent with the other luchadores but their bodies aren't up to it.  

Making matters worse is that Sexy Star is booked against men exclusively, which only exacerbates his weaknesses as a wrestler who isn't strong enough, fast enough, or athletic enough to have a credible match against men bigger, stronger, and faster than she is.  Because of the size and skill differentials her opponents have to constantly protect her during high-impact moves, which is obvious and detracts from the match.  Sexy Star makes matters worse in this regard because her offense isn't credible against her larger, stronger male opponents and forces them to actively assist in the execution of her offense to a much higher degree than against similarly-sized opponents.

To compound each of these issues above, the primary problem with Sexy Star in Lucha Underground is that despite all of these obvious drawbacks, she is constantly booked as an elite wrestler and regularly goes over on her more talented male opponents.  This can be seen, most obnoxiously, in the absolutely bizarre decision to book her over Pentagon Jr at the peak of Pentagon's push, to the point of having her go move-for-move with Pentagon in a submission match, after spending months building up Pentagon as a crippling submissions master while Sexy Star had never shown any submissions acumen.  

In a promotion that features a dragon, a spaceman from the cosmos, and a face-crushing monster, Sexy Star as a credible luchadore is the least believable thing on TV.

• Like 1

While we saw it as Pentaogn Jr. at his biggest push, my guess is the writers were writing it as horror movie tropes - Pentagon Jr. is the serial killer (...of arms) who is taking people out for weeks, and it's surprisingly the blond girl who surprises everyone by putting an end to the monster. All the build was only building up Pentagon to make the upset seem bigger

The problem is a) Pentagon is awesome and the fans really didn't see anything wrong with him breaking people's arms (except when he tried to do it to Melissa) and b) like you said, they treated Sexy Star like she was on one of the best wrestlers and she didn't seemed fearful of the scary serial killer, so it didn't come off as the big upset. 

Season 2 starts today. Hooray.

They often said they changed creative directions due to the fan reactions.

I don't think they expected everyone to love Pentagon so much.

This season should kick fucking ass because they know now and it just isn't us in the temple reacting to the dude, it's all the people who watched the show at home loving him too.

Plus he has THE MASTER taking him to "a dark place"

People are asking a lot of questions about the upcoming season and there's a lot to think about, but how about this-

We haven't seen Konnan since he got locked in that coffin and carried out.

Mil Muertes was sold as being super dead after that happened and came back to life.

Are we gonna get Zombie Konnan?

They often said they changed creative directions due to the fan reactions.

I don't think they expected everyone to love Pentagon so much.

This isn't really about Pentagon so much as the terrible way they shoved Sexy Star down our throats.  It isn't as if her limitations weren't obvious to anybody who watches wrestling either.  The only Sexy Star match that truly made sense was her match against Big Ryck, where she was dispatched with ease.  

Well isn't the whole thing with Star because she's married to Jhonny Gonzalez (big-time boxer in Mexico)  Is there any validity to the rumor that either he wanted her pushed or AAA did as a favor to him?  I've heard it was either of them, but both are because she's married to him.  Might have also been a way to curry favor with the boxing magazines.

Regardless, I believe there's something to one of those rumors.  But regardless, as much as Ivelisse kicks ass and Melissa will, I doubt they'll get that big-name appeal like they were trying with Star.

Man, imagine if Sexy Star had said she'd retire.  They'd have to say Marty murdered her in his basement.

I've received email confirmation for the 14th and 15th.  Asked for all four dates, but they do the confirmations one at a time.

I think I read that's the case. I seriously loved Vampiro's commentary after initially being irritated. Ah well, Schiavello was good and the chemistry with Striker will improve over time if they're a permanent fixture.