DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Since no one has mentioned (I don't think) what was with that Marty the Moth bit at the end? Not a big fan of Sexy but that whole bit of her being in kind of a cocoon and Marty talking about her meeting his sister. Talk about creepy.

Can't believe how everyone has glossed over the most underrated thing in all of LU season one...Marty the f'n Moth.

• Like 1

ULTIMA LUCHA DOS REPORT 8/5/15 MAFUCKAS~!

"Dedicated to the Memory of the Original Rudo, Roddy Rowdy Piper". FUCK. YES.

Ah man good to see Schiavello. He started out doing Aussie wrestling and the only pro wrestling match I've ever saw him announce was that killer Hideki Suzuki/Josh Barnett bout in DREAM. By the way, if you wanna watch that (and you should), I posted it here: http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/3684-hideki-suzuki/

Johnny Mundo vs. Alberto El Patron: Mundo starting out playing Larry Zybysko is perfect. Sneaky little prick amps it up by hiding under the ring and then throwing POWDER IN THE EYES! Or dirt, actually. After the initial brawling they go for the wrestling because I guess they have to save the brutality for later. The camerawork saves us from Mundo's punches and he's been putting pepper in his kicks. They feint Alberto having knee problems but that gets blown off quick. Both guys do lungblowers and rope-hang double stomps... they look good but I'm not a fan of either move really. Ref gets kicked, we get the visual tapout with the armbar, Alberto goes full Minoru Suzuki with the rope-hang armbar! But then fucking Melina comes out with a belt to whack Patron and win the match for Mundo? Well, I like Melina's haircut. Striker: "I've never been so turned off watching two beautiful people kiss." Then we get the happy go-home with Berto throwing Mundo through the window and spanking Melina. Striker then gets real creepy saying he'll rewind the spanking many times on his DVR. Yuck. Fuck, now John is in my cool book by blading like a FUCKING FREAK for the window bump. It's ten times worse than Alberto got it. I mean he's just covered, full 10 on the Muta Scale. Good job son, good job. I understand them giving the cheap win because El Patron is the Mega-Heavyweight champ in AAA still. Decent match, both guys laid it in, just wish this was more of a brawl. 

Haha Black Lotus kills Dragon Azteca by giving him a palm strike to the back. They let Matanza out and I'm guessing he takes one of Azteca's limbs with him for a snack before they leave. 

Pentagon Jr. vs. Vampiro: Man Melissa is giving it in the introduction here. Vampiro comes down dressed like the singer from Ghost and I immediately want to see him get his ass kicked more than ever. Pentagon should shove that Ghost buttplug they sell up his ass before breaking his arm and setting him on fire. 

And Pentagon gives us what we want immediately! They brawl into the stands. Vamp is just dying for our pleasure as Pentagon drops him on the concrete and punishes the fuck out of him with the chair while they call for the stretcher and a commercial break. I didn't know he had fusion surgery and has been out for years; honestly, taking a beating even half like this now gives me a ton of respect for the lying son of a bitch. 

Vamp beats up the ambo workers and leg lariats Pentagon when we come back. Thumbtacks! Vamp takes a top rope bump on them, and Pentagon goes Big Japan with light tubes, then W*ING with the stabbery! AND HE LICKS THE BLOOD OFF HIS ARM. Shit Vamp is cut in a dozen places on that fat head of his. Pentagon gets hiptossed into more "lighting tubes" (TM Schiavello), rips Jr.'s mask, and hits him with more tubes. Vamp is gassed but he manages to toss Jr. off the top onto the mess in the ring; Pentagon is now spewing blood too. Vamp gets a table, lighter fluid, and a a BBQ lighter but then proves his madness and willingness to put over somebody finally by getting tossed through the table and rolling around ON FIRE. And lets Pentagon break his arm. It's revealed that Vamp is The Master and Vamp gets himself over yet again, the devious bastard. Damn. I can't complain with him getting slaughtered like that. That was balls-out. Not only did Vamp get brutalized but he sold pretty well, probably cause he really hadn't done anything like that in a long time and the shit really hurt. Pentagon Jr. rules... but you already knew that. *wink*

Fenix/Sexy Star/Jack Evans/King Cuerno/Big Ryck/Bengala/Aero Star (Gift of the Gods): The image of lil' Aero grabbing Ryck for an ostensible German suplex is pretty hilarious. I also like how Sexy is on offense against Bengala and they just cut to the announcers to save us all the embarrassment. Basically the story is Ryck running roughshod over all six others which is a nice way to run a clear spotfest like this. I write that and immediately Aero Star does a massive balcony dive. Marty the Moth comes out to get slapped and find his way into a screaming Melissa's lap facefirst. Man the monkeyflip of Cuerno into Fenix in the corner was inventive. It doesn't save Bengala from the 1000000 MPH arrow tope though. Evans loses memory on a DDT. Jesus this has way too much Sexy but she's willing to also lose memory on a chokeslam. Then Jack Evans decides he's the MVP of the match by not only bumping like a maniac and working a bunch of freaky rollups and submissions whenever he's in the ring but eating the Fire Thunder Driver for Fenix to take the belt. That looked heavily edited so kudos to whoever was responsible for holding it together. We also got Daivari interference... ugh. At least the chairshots were solid enough to take out Ryck. On that last one I was just happy that Ryck got his arm up at the last second for his own sake.

Texano Jr. vs. Blue Demon Jr.: Well I have no hope for this. The Crew are dressed in suits with blue tie/bandanna, heh. The only way this could work is both guys bleeding buckets but we've already had that a lot tonight. We get a No DQ stip added by Dario so you know it's just gonna be the Crew beating up Texano with plundah. Hey, this actually feels like a lucha match for a second before the bullshit starts. Aaaaaaand here's Chavito. Blue gets the pin with his foot on the chest of Texano and you feel bad for him because as Striker says, Blue had his legacy handed to him and Texano Jr., though he did have a dad who was a superworker, didn't have the advantage of his pops being second in line with El fucking Santo in the lucha hierarchy. And the worst of the Guerreros and two indy guys helped to beat him. At least this was short. 

Prince Puma vs. Mil Muertes (LU Title): Ah Catrina, you rock a different outfit every time and this one is fantastic. The black and violet feather cape on Mil is even more stunning; shit, if I was a wrestler, black, violet and silver would be my gear colors for sure. Puma comes in with the gold belt but a bronze medal in fashion wearing the puma pelt. 

I think you know how this starts: brawling. And Ricky Banderas is one of the primo brawlers of our day so it rules as he spills backwards off rails into the audience between pummeling Puma. Puma uses Catrina as a weapon? Now that's different. We get our second Indy Japan Chair Annihilation of the night and Puma goes all parcour on Mil. "FIGHT, GODDAMMIT!" - audience member (Tromataker?). They keep brawling and Mil makes sure to slam the heavy-ass wooden steps on the floor to tell you "this powerbomb is gonna hurt". Puma's trying but they telegraph the tope into the chair and it is just plain rude upon impact. They finally transition into the ring and it is pretty thrilling. Mil is your new Big Van Vader but Puma is a freak of nature athletically. I have no idea how he did the Northern Lights and deadlifted the big bastard up again for a second suplex. Mil spears Puma through the corner of the table off the apron and then destroys Puma on the remains for two. Puma comes back kicking the shit out of Mil and hits the 630 for two, gets up and spear again, we get the BEST BEST BEST flatliner ever (Puma is RVD-like on the bump here) for another two. Puma takes control again for a second but we get a great Super Flatliner off the top for Muertes winning and the lick of death. The Disciples show up to underline that LU has the best belts ever. 

CUETO TAKES THE BULL!!! Fenix takes off in a sweet Firebird. Marty is a nut who has Sexy tied up. The former tag champs take off on bikes. Drago bursts into flame again while Aero Star looks on. Pentagon and Vamp vanish in smoke. And if we don't get a second season of this fucking promotion/show I think we will go from looking like Dario at the end grinning to the moment seconds before of him stroking his forehead in weariness, only we'll have tears in our eyes.

I also just wanna say it's been a blast staying up late doing these reports (mostly in real time) and I hope you guys have enjoyed reading 'em. And that I really hope Matanza doesn't end up being Abyss.

• Like 2

It would be cool if they brought someone in like a Mary Dobson or a Lufisto.   The only other lucha female I can think of is Valkirye (misspelled badly) but not sure she fits the Moth character.

I agree that except for the Blue Demon Jr match the show was great to see.   The ending video is exactly how you promote a second season assuming there actually will be one  :unsure:

Well, to my pleasant surprise a surprising amount of people I know were watching this live.  It was cool seeing their thoughts during commercials.  The chimichanga and street tacos we had were great, and the tequila was even better (made me realize my poor tequila choices of years past)  It was a damn great night.

Mundo vs Patron was a pretty great match.  I'm sure they wrestled in WWE, but if so I was much more interested in this now than I ever was for them in WWE.  Mundo being a dick played off of Alberto's fiery babyface quite nicely.  I was really happy to see Melina return.  Not sure if they got back together for real, but the celebration sure indicates that.  Love the window shot as it was basically "You hurt me, I'll hurt you even worse motherfucker!"  Lots and lots of blood.

So long, Dragon Azteca.  I find it funny that she was so quick to take Dario at his word last week.  He could be and is telling the truth, but they could always spin it as he was lying and had him taken out to make it easier to get Lotus killed.

Vampiro vs Pentagon, Jr was wonderfully hardcore.  We were going apeshit over Vampiro's look.  The thumbtacks and light tubes especially made my wife queasy, but she couldn't possibly look away.  We were so fucking into everything about this.  And what's funny is Vampiro quietly said he was the master but nobody heard him.  So when he said it again like it was already revealed then the announcers picked up on it.  The reveal was something else, we were completely into all of this.  Highlight of the show for me.

Gift of the Gods was a fun match.  Aerostar had that massive dive which was awesome.  There was some great action, happy Fenix won.

Texano, Jr. vs Blue Demon, Jr. was pretty meh.  I get the story they're telling, but wasn't feeling it.

Puma vs Muertes was just wonderful.  It had brawling, great action, and was just damn fun to watch.  It's great Muertes won clean to establish how great he is.  I like Puma a lot, but this was definitely time for Muertes so good for him.

That damn ending video was top-notch stuff.  I love the setup for all that is to come.  Alliances are made, a new location is established, and questions arise that need to be answered.  There better be a fucking season 2.  If they worry about financial issues, shit I'll start the Kickstarter myself if I have to.  But yeah, season 2 please!

• Like 2

A fun show, tinged with melancholy towards the end as I realized I wouldn't be seeing any more of this in the foreseeable future, and possibly never again.  The closing video was a perfect ending to a brilliant season of innovative and memorable professional wrestling programming.  I literally LOL'd when Son of Havoc had to get in the bitch seat.   

• Like 1

Great finale, with main event as the match of the night. This show was made for binge watching, as I saw 15 episodes in the last few days and it was an awesome ride. Closing video reminded me of outros in Tekken series, as it gave some closure while setting up things for the future. Nice to know that Aero Star is a true spaceman (or alien, or whatever).

On topic of luchadoras, is there any reason why Fabi isn't yet involved with the promotion? She would kick so much ass, if they ever bring her in. Bonus points if her sister and father come with her. (BTW, I've checked how old is she and was blown away that she's not even 35, it feels like I've been watching her matches for ages).

If the second season happens, I really hope that they will finally debut El Bunny.

So, is Rey the New Dragon Azteca, or is mysterious 2nd hoodie guy New Dragon Azteca and just put up the Rey-Symbol on the Billboard to call for help like he's the Technico Nuclear Option?

Great show, Season 2 MUST happen now.  Only dissappointment was no Epilogue for Catrina's Group, but its pretty clear who the big guns for next season are, if it happens.

I also just wanna say it's been a blast staying up late doing these reports (mostly in real time) and I hope you guys have enjoyed reading 'em. And that I really hope Matanza doesn't end up being Abyss.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. I was like, "ugh, hope its not Abyss". He's been in AAA in the past and since I don't follow TNA or Jarrett's group, I wasn't sure if he was still there. Kudos to LU for keeping that secret for an entire year.

Rey mentioned he hadn't signed a deal with LU, but they've been pretty good with keeping certain things quiet and they love those NDAs. Rey's way too bulky and short to be the hoodie guy that made TV, but its possible they just did that to not make it too obvious. 

Thought the show was really good. First hour was great with the Dragon Azteca murder, Alberto-Mundo opener, the Vampiro-Pentagon Jr. match (though I thought the logic behind the master reveal was stupid). Gift of Gods match was good but crowd didn't seem as into it at times and I didn't like the match whenever Sexy Star and Big Ryck were in. Blue Demon Jr. vs. Texano Jr. was boring. Prince Puma vs. Mil Muertes was good. The end of the show was great though.

Sexy Star left Mexico to get kidnapped in Boyle Heights was the funniest shit on that show! I couldn't stop laughing at that.

Ultima Lucha's second part was fucking insane from start to finish - except for the Demon match. Goddamn what a great show.

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/101-mexico/43947-lucha-underground-august-5-results-a-recap-ultima-lucha-season-one-finale

Screens -

6b666d426753146.jpg

1789ff426753131.jpg

22e5ce426753101.jpg

9b2699426753227.jpg

e4d0d1426753433.jpg

2d3d36426753471.jpg

3a85c8426753668.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/f1kbg4z41ojb86dbc2ximfdyx9rzpvu5

• Like 4

I didn't mind the logic behind Vamp being the Master. He wanted to bring out the utmost violence in Pentagon Jr., so he used himself as a tool to demonstrate just how insane Jr. could get, fashioning a false feud to bushwhack the audience. At least, that's how I look at it. 

• Like 2

To the cast and crew of Lucha Underground, while I dearly hope for a season two, three, ten, whatever; I am resigned to the fact that may not happen. So, thanks for a wonderful ride, you proved that the pro wrestling can still be fun, that we can still suspend disbelief and just enjoy the show. If there's to be no more, you left a wonderful legacy that we'll be talking about years from now. Vaya con dios, you crazy bastards...

• Like 3

I'm going to be super bummed if this is the end.  It just can't be.  I'm definitely in the denial stage.

Now if this is it (say it ain't so, Joe!) would AAA be a seamless transition?  I can't imagine it being as crazy as this, but there's enough guys to keep my attention.  For example, I definitely will follow Pentagon, Jr. to see what he's doing.  Might not get Son of Havoc of King Cuerno (yes, I know he's Hijo del Fantasma, just loved the gimmick so much) but I'll be fine with what is there.  Am thinking about Triplemania, but I've paid way too much lately and shouldn't be plunking down another $30-$40.