DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

I was watching last week's show on Unimas and Vampiro started with Hugo but then mid way through, Vampiro disappeared and Hugo was solo on commentary.

This happened with Vamp did this a few weeks ago. By the shirt he was wearing, it was clear they had taped the Unimas desk shot the same day they had done the Perro Aguayo Jr. tribute and it seemed like they just had him do the open and a minute as to not have to explain why he wasn't there. Hugo called the rest of the show on his own - there wasn't any silences or moments where he seemed like he was reacting to someone we couldn't hear. I didn't listen to this past week's show, but I wonder if it was the same thing (though no idea why Vamp would disappear this time.)

I've never listened to him, don't know if he's good or not, but Hector Guerrero leaving TNA would make him a choice for a replacement host for season 2.

Swearing might not be as much of a problem as we're used to, at least on El Rey. I was listening to this past week's Roddy Piper podcast because Chavo, Mundo and producer Eric were on it, and the producer described his guidelines meeting with El Rey Standards and Practices. It's usually lengthy with other networks. With El Rey...

[it was a] 30 second call, where the guy basically says 'well, just let us know if you want to say 'fuck'

Not that you can't say it. Just let them know. 

• Like 2

I've been watching the UniMas version of LU and I noticed that the producers shoot English and Spanish versions of some scenes. For instance, Melissa does ring introductions in both English and Spanish. During the Trios final show, Dario Cueto introduced The Crew to the temple crowd in Spanish. Obviously the El Rey version had him cutting the same promo in English.

For those who have attended the TV tapings, do the producers shoot the English and Spanish scenes back to back or save the Spanish scenes for later?

Tonight's show has-

Crew vs Son of Havoc and Angelico

King Cuerno and Cage vs Hernandez and Puma

and an Alberto El Patron vs Johnny Mundo match that is supposed to be fucking amazing

EDIT:  Forgot Daivari and Texano.  Luchablog reminded me of this one.

Sounds like a fun show.

Going to back to last week I was blown away how much that Cueto/Hernandez/Puma backstage segment accomplished.  After it ended it felt like a massive light bulb was turned on over my head.  You had Cueto trying to stir shit with Drago, then trying to convince Puma to not show mercy.  Then he has Hernandez state he doesn't care for Puma which causes worry with him.  THEN the match is set a number one contender and Puma's about to shit bricks.  This was so well-done and the simple beauty of it was wonderful.  It's not going to be remembered like Angelico's dive, but it's such a cool reminder why this show rules and is the best show of the week.

I swear, I'm going to go through some mad withdrawl symptoms (of the non-drug kind) when the season ends.

Lucha Underground Report 5/6/14: 

Awesome, they aren't going for a three-way! And we get Alberto and Johnny in a match. Good deal. 

Son of Havoc/Angelico vs. Cortez Castro/Mr. Cisco: Ivelisse is on crutches so this is a straight tag. They immediately work some tag miscommunication spots, Ivelisse moves her jaw and Vamp calls her a bitch. Shit, Havoc almost cracked the back of his skull on those steps, not very bright. Angelico has great knees and a way better doublestomp than, for example, Killshot but some of his other stuff looks whiffed. I complain but then he takes a huge spill through the ropes just on a tag out and I have no problem with this dude again. "YOU STILL SUCK" chant for the Crew haha. Actually they fulfilled their role perfectly well here and I just missed the corner dropkick spot, but it's good that they don't do it every time out I suppose. 

Daivari texts and drinks scotch with Dario and gets a match. Dario reveals to Hernandez that him and Puma are teaming. God I love Dario. What a smug, sadistic bastard.

Daivari vs. Texano: Melissa says "oh shit" and bails from the ring as Texano runs in! They brawl before Daivari bails, then spits and NAILS TEXANO IN THE FACE! And we go to commercial break! Talk about building something up. 

...wait, it's over? Okay. I guess that can wait. 

Prince Puma/Hernandez vs. King Cuerno/Cage: Cage and Hernandez immediately hoss it up. Hernandez struts and acts like a fucker. The spot with Cuerno taking Puma's knee out and Cage incredibly doing the 619 was great. This dude is just nuts for being so huge and doing perfect lucha spots. Not like Puma isn't for his previous insane feats of athleticism either. There is a batch of communication and miscommunication and Hernandez murders Puma with the Border Toss to the apron... ouch. And Puma still takes the Weapon X. Minor match but it moved the angle along. I hope Puma doesn't take some incredibly stupid bump and injure himself because he seems perfectly willing, yet he also seems like a Teflon Don as a pure athlete, so who knows. Just don't let Hernandez throw you again. Please. 

Oh man the luchador training Black Lotus is totally and intentionally dubbed in a ridiculous voice! We get a brief segment and then a band plays before

Alberto El Patron vs. Johnny Mundo: I love how they are building up contender upon contender to get a massive title match down the line. WWE should pay attention, to say the least, but with how they work that probably wouldn't even fly... unless they impressed it upon their audience... HINT... HINT... Anyway. 

ROBERT ZEMECKIS IS YOUR NEXT DIRECTOR'S CHAIR. WATCH. 

These guys are both great at working a vacuum-style match so lets see what they come with. Alberto seems to be working heel in this though and that's always the best Alberto. Mundo does some pretty weak offense but hits a solid kick that I will say is RVD-esque. Alberto's plancha crushes Mundo into the fence and it sounds and looks mean. He lariats the shit out of him before Johnny comes back for a tornillo and starts working on the back. GODDAMN the reverse superplex Alberto busts out in return was nasty. Mundo hits his finish but Alberto gets the ropes and gets the jujigatame and Mundo reaches the ropes. They're going for a 2.9 kickout thing but finally they have the flash finish with the Alberto kick which is just fantastic and both guys play totally worn out. I dunno, it was an alright match. Both guys sold and did some hard stuff but it might come off like your generic spotfest in retrospect. Alberto needs to go full heel always and just be crippling fools like Pentagon Jr. and Mundo needs to... I dunno... feud with Fenix. 

And now Mil Muertes is coming back to kill everyone. I can't even use the caps anymore. Cannot wait.

• Like 2

Hailing from th...OH SHIT

We laughed like hyenas at that part.  It was said in that worried tone like "I gotta get the fuck outta here"  So funny.

I'm glad Daivari and Texano didn't have a match yet, sensing a good feud to come out of this.  Hernandez turning on Puma was expected but was so well-done.  He was being a dick but tried to cover it up, and the more it happened the more Puma and Konnan were annoyed.  Finally Hernandez was like "Aw, fuck it" and did the full turn.  I have a feeling Puma will screw him out of the Mundo match as a form of revenge.

And Mil Muertes awakens!  Not sure why Katrina is back with him all of a sudden, but damn was that a glorious segment.  The eyes opening at the end was striking and a killer way to end the show.  Fun times!

Two theories-

The more Mil dies the less human he becomes and the more he becomes under the rock's (and Catrina's) control

or

She was trying to help Mil at the end of Grave Consequences, not Fenix.  Check out the end of the match again.  She closed it WITH the rock inside to keep him alive.  She knew he would revive.

• Like 2

Wow, I totally missed that.  Thanks for the clarification.

So when he comes back I would imagine he'd go against Fenix to gain revenge.  Maybe Katrina will have some explaining to do.

Meltzer thinks the Lotus angle is lame, but judging from the observer he also seems to think Matanza was just introduced when Cueto called him his brother, so maybe he should pay attention a bit more instead of wondering what kind of doom and gloom shit he can make up next.

Wrote this in my review of Drago v. Puma

"I am with Eric about the booking though, I think we are forgiving a lot of horseshit because Dario is such a good actor and the production is cool. This is the second time in a month they have burned through cool heated gimmicks on face v. face matches with no build and no hate, just so Dario can smirk evilly. I was really sick of heel promoter before this fed, forgave it for a bit because I liked Dario, but now it is the same tired shit we have seen in wrestling for the last 20 years. For a fed with a lot of cool different ideas, it sucks that this is the one they are still clinging too"

This is a fed that gets very little criticism, but their booking is really starting to bug me.

They kind of stop doing all that bullshit right after this few episodes. 

but keep in mind I couldn't see backstage segments.  Booking fixes itself once they start building toward UltimaLucha

Meltzer thinks the Lotus angle is lame, but judging from the observer he also seems to think Matanza was just introduced when Cueto called him his brother, so maybe he should pay attention a bit more instead of wondering what kind of doom and gloom shit he can make up next.

My eyes glaze over when I see Meltzer or Keller or JR or some slob at SB Nation talking about this show. It's critic proof.

LU booking at least take you somewhere. Try following AAA and CMLL. AAA is fun but Triplemania is 3 months away and we have no idea about the card. CMLL booking is non existent and am not surprise they lost their main tv.

Dave is set in his ways about wrestling. LU is not meant for him. Its TOO DIFFERENT for him.

Meltzer thinks the Lotus angle is lame, but judging from the observer he also seems to think Matanza was just introduced when Cueto called him his brother, so maybe he should pay attention a bit more instead of wondering what kind of doom and gloom shit he can make up next.

If LU wants to cury favor with Meltzer, they just need to sign someone from New Japan or UFC.

If LU wants to cury favor with Meltzer, they just need to sign someone from New Japan or UFC.

Los Neuvos Bucks