DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

I have my loyalties in order. Sorry if you don't.

You'll probably see me cheer worse.

Yeah, you'll see me cheer worse.

On another note-

LA times article on Lucha Underground totally kicks ass. If you check out the photo gallery I'm the one with the hat next to Drago towering like a giant

• Like 1

I'll post more thoughts tomorrow when calmer, but:

I LOVE LUCHA UNDERGROUND!!!!!!  TEN STAR MATCH!!!!  HOLY FUCK!!!!

Anywho, if anybody's on the fence about this show this is the episode to see.

Yeah it's a shame we never got to see the Pentagon match because it never happened. I heard he beat her so bad at the tapings they couldn't show it. Cubsfan can verify

That trios match was a great way to open the show!

Lucha Underground Report 4/22/15~! Realtime as always, sucka!

Thank Rodriguez for replays. Cutting Crew has (pardon the pun) cut into the three weeks of LU you can get on Wednesdays but as long as you keep up you're cool.

Vignette time! The Asian gal is in training and she fights four guys in silhouette, pretty rad. Then teacher turns the lights on and he Pai Mei's her. Neat to have a nod to Shaw Bros. and Tarantino on the show and quite fitting. 

Those belts are as baller as the main one and I dig the red background; reminds of the old Big Red Belt from All Japan Women's. 

Sexy Star vs. Pentagon Jr.: Uh oh. This is gonna be rough. Melissa looks worried and exhales visibly on camera outside. Some good commentary talking about the breaking of arms being unethical. Pentagon goes for the stomach and gloats. Sexy come back with a trip and some work in the corner and gets a two but Pentagon waves his finger at the camera after the kickout. Did Vamp just say he had "demiens"? The slapping on the kicks is real nasty, sounds like someone breaking a stick. Sexy sneaks out of the armbreak and bails, Pentagon gets a huge airplane spin thingy on her but she DDTs him and he has a great dizzy sell. Sweet between the ropes tope from Sexy! Pentagon responds after the count with two powerbomb/lungblowers but Sexy escapes the armbreak again. She responds with her own lungblower for the flash pin. Did I just see tromataker front row pointing at his LU hat? Pentagon is pissed. That went about as well as it could have without her just getting manhandled I guess. The thing is Pentagon is gonna come back and just wreak havoc and fuck up Sexy after that loss which is gonna rule. 

Backstage again and Johnny Mundo is lifting weights. Alberto comes in to have a conversation and the camera goes around and around and around. A nothing segment really. 

Wait, are the belts red or pink? Maybe it's the lighting. I am mildly colorblind. 

TRIOS CHAMPIONSHIP THREE-WAY ELIMINATION MATCH -- King Cuerno/Cage/Texano vs. Son of Havoc/Ivelisse/Angelico vs. Big Ryck/The Mack/Killshot: Goddammit, I forgot this was gonna be a three way. Having known the champs since I made the mistake of looking at the LU Wiki page (DON'T DO IT) I completely forgot about one of the teams here. What do we call Havoc/Ivelisse/Angelico? Team Love Triangle? Team Breakup? Team Jobroni? No insult meant, their work with the angle has been fantastic so far. There probably won't be me calling this as it goes much but I'll try and hit the big spots and stuff. 

I dunno why they just don't call Willie Mack "Willie Mack". Hell, the crowd does. This is three people in, elimination rules, and you have to tag a team member. Cage does a double suplex on the two skinniest of all nine wrestlers. Team Cuerno is already double-teaming. We get a double tag and Mack and Havoc are in; Mack of course immediately hits a huge spinning bodyslam and tope. Now we got Cage and Ryck and after Cage slams Ryck he hits a fuckin moonsault to the outside off the top, splattering Killshot like a bug and injuring Ivelisse's knee. Angelico really shouldn't slap the leg every damn time he uses a leg move. Flying knee to Texano who falls on Daivari in the front row (it is Daivari, right?) who chokes and paintbrushes and tosses Texano into the chairs before storming off. Killshot hits a crappy doublestomp on Texano and the heavy hitter team is out? Well I'll be damned. So much for your former AAA Mega Champ! Alright then, we'll see what they come up with from here, at least that was pretty short so it's only two teams. 

Ivelisse is still hopping around and Angelico is getting crushed. BIG lariat from Mack. Angelico's selling is really great here. Mack hits a Macho Elbow, gloats and gets a well-deserved chant. Havoc is back in; jesus Killshot hits a Spanish Fly and attempts a reverse toprope Frankensteiner. Yuck. He fails at the latter; you ain't Koji Kanemoto motherfucker! Havoc succeeds at the same in-ring, hits a plancha on everyone outside, and Angelico hits a wicked Razor's Edge into the corner where Killshot's head bounces off the rail. That's what you get for sucking! Dario looks bemused by the win but what the fuck... aw man he says they have to fight the Crew and it's No DQ. The look on his face was so good walking out. Angelico looks totally crushed and Ivelisse is still injured.

"Everyone here knows what's in store"... no shit. The typical beatdown occurs. I had no idea the Crew were gone for over a month and didn't miss them one bit. It might be cool if they had a New Jack to cut promos for them but they don't, so I don't. Of course Ivelisse gets cornered in the ring so they can beat on a woman but Havoc actually helps out. I will say the double corner dropkicks are always mean as hell. Angelico and Bael are on the balcony and Angelico gets backdropped over the rail while Ivelisse gets beat up and choked in the ring. Whoa, bad botch on a suplex off the rail to Havoc but he responds with a gorgeous moonsault only to get dropped again. SHIT! Angelico comes out of NOWHERE with the flying plancha off the balcony to splatter the Crew in ring!!! Ivelisse is caning motherfuckers! And Havoc and Angelico hit a dual SSP/doublestomp to win. For however the match ran, that was such a killer comeback, neon Angelico aping Johnny Mundo and selling the fall was amazing. The crowd erupts and Striker underlines the story of Havoc's success story and it's fucking awesome. You can say what you want about the match but that really was some great storytelling with the bickering underdogs finally getting the win and the belts despite everything, hating each other, an injury, Cueto throwing an extra match at them with fresh guys, just great. Hopefully it doesn't lead to a feud with the fucking Crew though.

Yeah it's a shame we never got to see the Pentagon match because it never happened. I heard he beat her so bad at the tapings they couldn't show it. Cubsfan can verify

That trios match was a great way to open the show!

What are you talking about? A different show than what I just watched I presume? And was that you in the hat during Pentagon/Sexy?

Okay I get it you are being facetious

I fucking love this show. I sat there laughing and having a great time through like 75% of the episode. Angelico is fucking insane in the membrane. That main event was booked and edited so perfectly.

Lucha Underground fucking ruled. The babyface trios champs came off like megastars after that final match - holy shit. That was like EC3-Spud where in one night, you go from "okay, this should be fun" to "goddamn, they've got something special here."

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/101-mexico/42204-lucha-underground-4-22-15-tv-report-trios-champions-crowned

That wasn't me pointing to my hat, I wasn't at these tapings. May have been Cubsfan though, he actually was at these ones.

I'll be out of the temple until mid-late May and I don't get front row until the last three shows

So last week I left my "smart mark" hat at the door and was sucked into the Pentagon, Jr. segment.  Last night I forgot where I left that damn hat and was into everything.  I was getting flashbacks to that magical time where I didn't know about insider knowledge and all that jazz.  It was wonderful.

If there was a Pentagon/Sexy match that was unairable I'm honestly okay with that.  It was just the right amount of uneasiness with the attacks on Star.  When she won it felt like a big deal, though I also felt they could have waited a couple more episodes before doing this.  Felt like a blowoff match of sorts.

That mothafuckin goddamn trios final was my favorite match this season.  It was SOOO, SOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!  I never in my life saw my wife so invested in wrestling before like she was with this.  The moves, that Angelico dive, and both times they won just had us hooked.  Shit, we even high fived in excitement TWICE!  Over a wrestling show!  Considering the attempts to find something she can get into over the years, this show more than accomplished that.  That episode is not leaving the DVD for some time (or until it comes to On Demand), I just have to see this again.  The dive alone we must have seen five times or so.

Also really loved Vampiro throughout this.  He was so damn excited for everything, the best part was when he just wanted to hug Striker for no reason.  And i could go for a gif of when explaining the finals match.  He didn't know what to do, so he just did weird things like stretch his arms out or wave at the camera.  It was so wacky.

I love this show with all my heart.  Seeing tromataker fanboying over this show I understand that 1000%.  It's so easy to get excited over.

• Like 1

If there was a Pentagon/Sexy match that was unairable I'm honestly okay with that.  It was just the right amount of uneasiness with the attacks on Star.  When she won it felt like a big deal, though I also felt they could have waited a couple more episodes before doing this.  Felt like a blowoff match of sorts.

Yeah, I was *not* happy about that outcome at all.  As I commented on the previous page, it seems like every time a heel gets a little heat going on this show they get taken out promptly.  The way the promotion handled Mil Muertes, who was also obviously popular with the fanbase, with equally head-scratching because it doesn't seem like Fenix got anything out of winning that blowoff match.  King Cuerno just finished losing main event matches with Johnny Mundo and Prince Puma.  Those two, along with Pentagon Jr, were easily among the most popular wrestlers with the crowd, so it astounds me that the promotion hasn't protected them more successfully.  

I get that this is wrestling and Pentagon can get some heat back next week, but in my opinion is was way, WAY too early to have him putting over Sexy Star cleanly in the middle of the ring.  The shock from his heinous attack of the ring announcer last week had barely subsided and here he is pinned against a woman whom Big Ryck beat like a joke last month.  

• Like 1

Agreed, we shouldn't go into speculative bitchery like this is WWE, let's let it play out instead. I have some faith in them. Yeah the heels should be kept stronger, and last night did feel like a punk card busting Pentagon back to where he was when the show first started, but I figure there are some bigger tricks up their sleeve. Mil will probably come back as a tweener, Pentagon is going to do something real real bad again soon, Cuerno... well fuck there is a real complaint there because at this point he feels pretty much buried. I don't think he's won since he tried to twist Fenix's head off (that was Fenix he fought in the no DQ match ages ago right?). 

Hey, I just went into speculative bitchery out of nowhere haha. IWC! IWC! IWC!