DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Opening trios match was nuts! Rest of the show was good-ish. Loved the Pentagon-Santos angle because it was done in a realistic manner and sets up a few different things for the future.

Screens -

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/101-mexico/42109-lucha-underground-4-15-15-tv-report-drago-vs-aerostar-finish-their-best-of-5-series

351c43403877836.jpg

4a4ffc403879111.jpg

93dd98403879128.jpg

882c1f403880089.jpg

bc76c1403881966.jpg

8d3cc2403881968.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/qqzehpr4pw9nr1d60yohau24ncule705

Okay, so I can blame you if it goes bad? :)

Like I said - the promotion has enough good will that I'm not writing it off completely. I'm just worried based on the history of the guy involved since he's always only looked out for himself and stepped on many guys to get where he wants. He's a smooth talker and execs tend to fall for that kind of thing.

(

Are you talking about Vampiro or Carlos? :)

Time to play catch-up as I was out drinking and carousing last week. It was good to meet up with old friends and my brother-from-another-mother James at Champaign's #1 bar and national treasure the Blind Pig, but I miss my LU...

4/8/15:

Opening six man was good though seriously DDT heavy, which they even pointed out on commentary. Fenix's ropewalk into elbow drop on Angelico while he was caught hanging was DOPE. It was like Fenix was thinking "what can I do to top the last couple spots?" and came up with that out of nowhere -- you're expecting a double stomp but no way Jose. The angles in this were nice too with Ivelisse walking off, Drago and Aero Star not getting along, and Angelico's hilarious reaction after getting the shit beat out of him and still winning. He's so smug that you want to slap the taste out of his mouth every time. His selling in this was OTT too.

The reaction from the crowd for Dario's match change was perfect. They were all about him and then he takes a giant shit on both competitors and they totally turn on him, as well as Super Fly. I've never seen a female wrestler do the hair toss on a man before. Her plancha shot from the low angle was sweet and overall Sexy had her work boots on for this one. Damn, Super Fly has some old school scar tissue on that mug. AND PENTAGON JR. FOR THE RUN IN TO KILL SUPER FLY!!! Fantastic.

I like Cuerno slowing down Puma, his bizarre "hunter" machinations, and the interference from Texano was different. Puma botches pretty big towards the end and I can do without the Hernandez shit. Given more time and no tag team BS this could have been a classic. Who the hell knows how Puma/Ricochet does what he does; the guy is a freak of nature.

4/15/15: 

"If you see a shooting star make a wish... but be careful what you wish for. Everything in my Temple has a price." Dario is such a pimp, goddamn.

Wow look at the '70s facial hair on the bass player in that band! Dude looks like one of the brothers in Bachman-Turner Overdrive, or maybe somebody in Foghat.

I bet that kid in the Puma mask was so happy and will remember that moment forever. Awesome. It just makes you feel good to see something like that. And BY GOD what a spotfest he has to remember. All six guys start slow and speed it up to Dragon Gate speed out of nowhere; I was getting dizzy watching that stuff with Cage in the corner. I haven't seen Hernandez since LAX days and him goofing it up with his dancing and beastliness was fun too. Hope that Puma mask kid got a hug from Puma afterwards since he got murdalized by Cuerno. 

Well I guess Cage only got in the ring at the end so he can do the three-way with enough stamina. WILLIE MACK~! and Son of Havoc are out and I expect more of this from most (any) three-ways. And they go out and have a fluid and balls-out sprint which isn't really my thing but was greatly appreciated tonight. Everything was so smooth and Willie's whole character is my favorite, with his mannerisms, facial expressions, selling, look, athleticism, he's just the shit and I'm shocked I haven't seen him before and even more shocked that WWE dumped him. Dude is the man. Cage won which is necessary so I didn't mind. 

PENTAGON JR. IS OUT. Hail The Master! Oh shit I think they just jumped the line and really made Pentagon a true heel with the crowd, that was nuts. Old school, hard-edged, uncomfortable and completely necessary. Pentagon is now a complete psycho for attacking an innocent woman who is not a wrestler and it's good that they cut that and changed to Drago/Aero Star, going farther with a jobber injury might get some really bad heat. 

"RING DA BAAAAAAAAAAAHL!" Dario stays at ringside to drool over the violence and it is awesome. Aero Star has a death wish leaping flatly on his back on that dive and it looks like it jacked him up, more great camerawork on that one. This one is more power moves like they're both going for the killshot (no pun intended). JESUS FUCK Aero Star almost completes his death wish by faceplanting on the table bump. After the nutty DDT there's the even nuttier roll-up and Drago wins. I think if they put a time limit on this match it would have been even more interesting, just a little extra touch. Drago gets a title match with a banishment stip and I can see him losing and going back to AAA for awhile, but after this he's deserved a vacation. This was another really great episode, what more can I say? Lucha Underground rules.

I was concerned how they would handle Pentagon Jr's explosive popularity given that he's supposed to be a heel, but I think they handled that nicely last night.  There was a pretty weak attempt at a "cero miedo" chant afterwards but the air had been sucked out of the room.  Good call.

Also a good thing that they didn't push it and have Hampiro get involved, breaking his arm would have had the opposite effect.

I was concerned how they would handle Pentagon Jr's explosive popularity given that he's supposed to be a heel, but I think they handled that nicely last night.  There was a pretty weak attempt at a "cero miedo" chant afterwards but the air had been sucked out of the room.  Good call.

Live crowd totally turned on Pentagon after that one - it was crossing the line for them.

It was also a longer segment, with Pentagon whispering to Melissa a few times and Melissa walking over to the announcer side of the ring to talk with the production crew about something or other a few times before.It was only maybe a minute or two, but there are sometimes minute or two breaks while they sweep the floor or something so it fit. Since we didn't know what Pentagon was out there for to begin with and Melissa didn't talk on the microphone at first, it seemed like Pentagon's whispering was just part of whatever problem was going on, and it too long enough to bring the crowd all the way down before shocking them with the attack. If that was on purpose, it was really well done.

Yeah, that was extremely uncomfortable because he was really ragdolling her. I said to my friend (and LU needs to be watched in company) that Vamp needs to do something and then BOOM, headsets are off. He's so fucking good though, because it wasn't the typical "old man plays the hero!" bit; Vamp looked fucking terrified but he's a man and shit, so something had to be done. Until Sexy Star saved the day for him. I hope that hint at Vampiro stepping to Pentagon Jr. is followed up. I know if this were WWE, there's a good chance it would be forgotten by the next day but LU seems pretty good at the long-term gameplan. The best part: you don't need working arms to be an effective commentator.

This show continues to dominate every other wrestling show on TV right now. It's so good that even NXT comes off quite often as boring these days.

Yeah, that was extremely uncomfortable because he was really ragdolling her. I said to my friend (and LU needs to be watched in company) that Vamp needs to do something and then BOOM, headsets are off. He's so fucking good though, because it wasn't the typical "old man plays the hero!" bit; Vamp looked fucking terrified but he's a man and shit, so something had to be done. Until Sexy Star saved the day for him. I hope that hint at Vampiro stepping to Pentagon Jr. is followed up. I know if this were WWE, there's a good chance it would be forgotten by the next day but LU seems pretty good at the long-term gameplan. The best part: you don't need working arms to be an effective commentator.

The only upside that could have come out of Vampiro lumbering his fat carcass into the ring would be the image of him in the upcoming weeks with both arms broken, trying to do commentary while whining for someone to move his microphone and scratch his butt.

It was such an amazing segment and supremely effective at reminding the audience that cool is ok, but a heel is a heel and heels need to be hated.  Sexy Star is going to get slaughtered, Pentagon Jr isn't some half-ass gangsta with delusions of chivalric conduct like Big Ryck.  Pentagon Jr is a remorseless killing machine. 

I haven't seen this week's episode yet but I only found out this week that Melissa Santos is a trained wrestler. I was actually going to post on here that I wondered if she'd be used in that capacity on LU at some point, ha.

I think it speaks volumes that nomally these type of angles in WWE or TNA accomplish nothing, go nowhere and are generally uncomfortable for all the wrong reasons, but people here are pretty favourable about last night turning a cool heel into one who needs to get a beating. Really looking forward to checking the episode out (and eternally jealous of all you guys who actually go to LU tapings in person!)

Didn't say this in my review but it was some straight-up Kevin Sullivan slapping Woman shit. You want to dig the insane, occult heel but then that happens. If Vamp wants to leech off of someone else's heat then this is better than much else he could do; he certainly doesn't need to get in a feud with Konnan.

EDIT: I also have to say: did you ever think in a million billion years you would have a promotion in 2015 that had of all people VAMPIRO AND KONNAN in workable, functioning roles? That's how good LU is.

Man, I wasn't at this taping or that Cero Miedo chant wouldn't have been so weak. I think I hold cubsfan personally responsible.

Don't worry- by the end of next month I'll be there for every single show until the end of the season, representing properly.

• Like 1

Vamp looked fucking terrified but he's a man and shit, so something had to be done.

If that's an Eddie Murphy standup reference, a million stars to you.

eddie-murphy-delirious-o.gif

Also, I really wanted Aero Star to win the best of 5 but I get that Drago is their boy and they're building him up. Aero Star is my favourite pure high flyer - he's so suicidal. 

• Like 1

Can I just point out I love you guys and the LU talk that goes down here?

I'll tell you why I loved the Pentagon Jr. angle & I saw someone touched on it already (Cubs?)... it wasn't that typical wrestling bullshit angle where someone is "trapped in the ring". You know, that ring with ropes & multiple ways of escaping? Melissa was actively trying to get the fuck out of that ring as if her life depended on it so Pentagon had to always have a hand on her or be yanking her hair/feet as she scrambled to escape. Plus there was her screaming. A legit shock moment with a genuine crowd reaction and everyone playing their role perfect. And I'll bet it won't be forgotten next week & they won't be joking about it either in promos or on commentary. Just a tremendous angle. Maybe my favorite so far on the show.

Aero Star IS awesome. I've been preaching that for years. So happy people are finally jumping on thanks to LU. As I said earlier - he'll screw up once in a while and make a fool of himself but that's because he tries the most insane shit way ahead of it's time and with such a high degree of difficulty. But when he nails stuff it's so mind boggling! That table spot was crazy. I may have loved the springboard senton he did more though where he springboards off the 2nd rope OUTSIDE the ring to get back inside. I have no earthly idea how the physics of that work. I saw him do it live at WrestleCon last month including practicing doing it and I still don't get how his feet don't clip the top rope. That 5 match series was just great.

I had my reservations about LU going in and ended up a huge fan from show #1 but even as a huge fan I don't think at any point I'd have even considered Aero Star vs Drago could have been a headlining match on a show. It's amazing how they've managed to establish feuds/charachters so everyone gets their time and their moments to shine where a guy like Puma can go MIA for 2 weeks and you don't feel like the show is just floating along aimlessly.

Trios match yesterday was great too. I admit I still don't get fully get The Mack but I'm coming around. Cage was in his element in that singles 3 way just doing power stuff. That's all he should be doing. That 3 way trios final is going to be ri-god-damn-diculous...

I read all the spoilers but them taping so far ahead is fine by me b/c by the time these shows air I've forgotten stuff. I was genuinely shocked yesterday when Puma's team lost. That's why I don't see spoilers getting out as being such a big deal as the promotion makes it out to be.

• Like 2