DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

That search for the next Lucha Underground wrestler is going to be so great when it turns out they're all just systematically fed to Pentagon Jr. as sacrifices to his master.

I went to the taping for this week and next week's shows and they kicked ass and huge shit happened and then huger shit happened then I went home and took a huge shit from the food I ate from the food truck

• Like 2

El Rey is posting some clips teasing tonight's show.  Big Ryck is bringing in a pair of goons apparently.  Also Johnny Mundo is facing Angelico which should be a lot of fun and hopefully advance Angelico, Iveslisse, and Son of Havoc's shared angles.  

Mil Muertes never got his revenue for Johnny hitting Catrina during Aztec Warfare.  WTF?

The pair of goons are Killshot (new character played by Shane Strickland) and the great WILLIE F'N MACK.

They've announced Mundo vs Angelico and Aero Star vs Drago in part of their series.

There's also SUPER MEGA ULTRA IMPORTANT SHIT that I'm surprised wasn't announced ahead of time that you all shouldn't be missing. 

Pentagon Jr. and Aero Star are my two legit favorites.  I don't know what I'd do if they wrestled each other.

In fact, if you hear someone yelling COME ON AEROSTAR RIP HIS TONGUE OUT tonight, that was me.

• Like 1

So its just been announced on twitter. I don't want to post anything spoilery even if spoilers are out there because I don't want to seem like the news is coming from me and get banned from the fucking temple. 

The tournament for the trios title starts TONIGHT.

Dario Cueto's twitter has a nice shot of the new belts, which kick ass.

REMEMBER IN THIS THREAD WHEN YOU GUYS WERE ALL DUDE THEY NEED TRIOS TITLES SO BAD

HERE YOU GO

• Like 1

So its just been announced on twitter. I don't want to post anything spoilery even if spoilers are out there because I don't want to seem like the news is coming from me and get banned from the fucking temple. 

The tournament for the trios title starts TONIGHT.

Dario Cueto's twitter has a nice shot of the new belts, which kick ass.

I don't Twitter, but I really want to believe it's one giant belt that fits around three people at once.  Just getting to the ring would be epic.

• Like 1

The Lucha Underground twitter presence is fucking great, dude.  Dario Cueto has one of the most entertaining accounts out there and I'm not just saying that because he's been retweeting and replying to me today.

He did this thing one day where he was just giving Johnny Mundo shit about that dog wrestling movie.  Whoever is running the account writes some GOLD.

There was a Lucha Underground roundtable at WrestleCon this past weekend featuring Morrison, Striker, Big Ryck, Jack Evans, Lil' Cholo & I'm not sure who else. They did Q&A for like 30 minutes. I wish I could give more details but I was busy hanging out with Aero Star who didn't take part since his English consists of "Hello" & "Thank you". :P

Also, the guys from LU who worked WrestleCon got huge "LUCHA" chants. Even Big Ryck! Lots of LU shirts at the convention too. I'm pissed I didn't get one when I had the chance.

You're either gonna love or hate that opener I guess with all those contrived Matrix spots ala Red vs LoKi from USA Pro over 10 years ago. I loved it back then, I love it now! That opener was NUTS! In a sense they set the bar way too high. LOL

Aero Star/Drago was too short and I felt they edited some stuff out. Felt like that Drago/King Cuerno match with the table spot where they did a quick edit and both guys were selling exhaustion 20 seconds in. Aero Star still had a couple awesome spots and it's nice to see some anger heading into the final match which I guess is next week?

Main event was a fine introduction for Big Ryck's new crew. Teams worked better together than I'd have imagined. Pentagon Jr. is just out of everyone's league. It's ridiculous. I sense bad things coming up for Miss Sexy Star.

Storyline stuff was killer as usual. Dragon Azteca (Raiden) is training Black Lotus (Sonya Blade) as we all expected. Sexy Star may have some competition down the road. Alberto wasn't too nice to Johnny and Johnny wasn't too nice to Alberto. Nice planting of seeds. I couldn't stop cracking up during the Angelico/Son of Havoc/Ivelisse deal. HE DUMPED HER! I SAW IT WITH MY OWN TWO EYES!

That hour goes by way too fast...

Got back from work just in time to see the closing trios. Willie Mack fucking RULES. The Pounce out of nowhere was the best. Killshot looked really good too. The spot where Pentagon threw Sexy up for the rana was perfect; for a second there I thought she was gonna get superbombed but nope. With my schedule I think I'm just gonna cave and purchase a DVR so I can keep up with LU and Raw. 

Watched the previous week's episode. I kind of feel like Senor Naimark, two big gimmick matches in one ep leads to a feeling of burnout, probably because this time we didn't have the difference that the three-on-one from the Grave Encounters episode had. I actually zoned out of the bullrope match and missed the finish. Angelico's big hilo over the post was admirable, but of course Puma effortlessly smoked it twice. The SSP off the post was just absurd -- one foot on the pole and he just floats into it effortlessly. And of course the springboard 450 was just as good. I guess it's cool for Konnan to get some revenge for his blood being spilled but that kind of fell flat anyway. The best thing overall I thought was Son of Havoc getting his win and Ivelisse kicking that sleazebag Angelico in the head anyway.

This was a fantastic episode that I enjoyed much more than last week's (still entertaining) show.  Honestly I can't remember how long it's been since I've found a wrestling show so out-and-out *fun* as Lucha Underground.  Have there ever been more compelling and better-staged vignettes than what LU puts out each and every week?  Has a wrestling show ever completely discarded previously accepted industry standards of athleticism and acrobatics as shamelessly as LU does each and every week?  

Assorted thoughts on the episode:

- The vignette with Big Ryck's team in Dario's office was a blast to watch, but since I don't know who "The Mack" is, can someone explain to be who he is and what's his genetic relation to Ray Candy?  

- I loved the opening match with Angelico and Johnny Mundo, I thought they worked extremely well together and had a fun bout that was given adequate time to develop and made both men look strong.  Angelico is becoming one of my favorite guys on the roster, and my daughter told me during this match that he was now her favorite wrestler.  OK, she said it was because of his cool green tights, but whatever.  

- The outcome of the Angelico v Mundo match perfectly lead to the cutscene in Dario's office with Angelico, Son of Havoc, and Iveslisse.  I'm loving the interactions with these four so much - Angelico never says much, but his smirks and eye rolls are just so perfect for his situation.  So much love for Son of Havoc making sure to clear up any misconceptions on his way out the door.  Good for you Son of Havoc, don't let that bitch muddy the waters with her lies!

- Drago vs Aerostar is always going to have some amazing moments, but the difference in pacing, selling, and transitions between this and the Angelico vs Mundo opener are so stark.  I love the Lucha influence on the promotion but I really hope the presence of more traditional American-style workers will lead to the luchadores firming up their technique a bit.  

- The trios match was just so damn good, everything about it - the match itself, sure, but the multiple sub-angles at play here all worked so well and should serve as a reminder that Lucha Underground's writing is at a whole different level from the rest of the sport.  Pentagon Jr is the most over guy in the promotion, isn't he?  Wow.

- So who likes Kill Bill?  I gotta admit it, it needs to be said - Black Lotus and Dragon Azteca don't have the crisp synchronization of The Bride and Pai Mei.  There, now it's out there.  If you're going to rip off such a memorable scene, you shoot it 100 times until it looks perfect.  

And yes tromataker, the whole Matanza angle is really looking cool.  I just have to wonder how the hell they could come up with a wrestler big, scary, and otherworldly enough to fill the Matanza shoes.  I fear there's a whiff of "Black Scorpion" to the reveal.

People who I could see being Matanza- if you look any of them up you'll see why:

The Mighty Awesome Plague

Extreme Loco
Uro Rocker

Murder Clown

I swear Chessman could work if done right

Mr. Athletic Jeff Cobb (complete gimmick change, BUT THEY GOTTA USE THIS DUDE HE RULES)

Great Khali (he's a free agent.  I didn't say it'd be good)

That's not saying they can't go and make him a crazy little guy that just murders everyone with weapons and horrible mind games.