DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Man, I can't say shit but the tapings were fucking great this weekend.

So much fun. Hardcam side. Probably going to see a lot of me and my friends.

I may or may not have posted a photo with someone really cool on my twitter that may or may not have happened at the show. Maybe.

Its @luchagringo but you probably saw it if you follow luchablog.

I'm not sayin nottin about nottin

Ha! My daughter, who I'm sure only pretends to like wrestling because i do, says her favourites are John (Cena, I guess) & Sexy Star. She also saw Mark Henry on Smackdown and said, "it's Big Ryck!" so she also might be kind of a racist :)

• Like 3

It's one thing to read about kids who like the main WWE guys like Cena and Orton.  It's another entirely when reading about them liking Pentagon, Jr. and Sexy Star.  Bless you guys.  I can only hope when I'm a dad to have similar success.

• Like 1

Hey, I've said it before on this thread, my daughter is *scared* of Pentagon Jr (and King Cuerno).  I'm pretty sure the "Cero Miedo" toy was the bad guy in this altercation.  She likes Aerostar, Drago, Son of Havoc's beard, and the ring announcer. The ring announcer is pretty great by the way, her voice and enunciation is top of the line.

I was underwhelmed by this week's episode.  Two no-DQ brawls in 2 weeks to too much for my tastes, and the baloney with Konnan and Hernandez didn't help.  I still feel like they really screwed up the Alberto vs Texano angle by forcing it too quickly - one week Alberto is just walking through the door, the next week he gets in the ring for the first time and get attacked, the week after that Texano does a very unremarkable squash match where he doesn't come off as anything special or unique, and then we're hotshotted into a "big" match between the two.  Why should I care, exactly?  Meh.

Meanwhile the Son of Havoc, Ivelisse, and Angelico angle has been built up perfectly for several months.  I'm loving how it played out.  Everyone is getting elevated here.

Oh yeah, and the new belt is so cool.  

Does anyone else think LU is at the point where they could really benefit from a second weekly hour of TV?  It's hard to keep the TV audience current when they're only showing 3 matches a night; I love the longer matches, but their roster is big enough that even excellent, compelling talent ends up being left off the show for a month at a time.  Where is Black Lotus again?  Prince Puma disappeared for a month.  As good as their vignettes are, they should do more.

This week was a step back after last week's amazing episode. Yeah they sped up the Texano/Patron build but the real build was probably in AAA.

The Konnan/Hernandez stuff took away from the main event. Looks like Ivelisse will get the bump in storyline that we were hoping for.

Puma makes the hugest highspots look effortless.  The shooting star plancha off the top and the springboard 450 to the floor looked awesome.

Yeah Chuck Taylor once said on PWG commentary that Ricochet uses the same effort for a standing moonsault that Chuck uses to sit in a chair it that fucking effortless. The Springboard Shooting Star was move of the night and fucking gorgeous as well.

re: NDA - my biggest problem isn't giving away what happens, but I'll see someone assume or predict what's going to happen next, and i want to rush in to correct them or congratulate them on the good guess. I've been managing to hold in those impluses so far.

The Jack Evans vs Aerostar vs Andrew Everett is close to a Lucha Underground.match as they have. Everett isn't signed, but maybe after they see that match...

A Lucha Underground event would've been good but logistically tough this year. 'Lucha Underground' guys are already on shows - Puma's on the Evolve show, those guys are on the WrestleCon show, a bunch of guys (including some yet to debut) are on the King of Indies - it'd been tough to schedule one without interfering other shows. And it's getting pretty crowded with events as it is. Running the first ever show outside the Temple is going to be tough for them, and this is a very competitive weekend.

The Dallas area is a good location for a show next year and - as long as they're renewed - it would figure that they've started to run some love shows by that point. The only problem is it seems like the indy promotions had to start locking in venues many months in advance, and LU & AAA don't tend to think that far into the future.