DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Back in for my weekly "I enjoyed this show" post.

Loved the Big Ryck promo in the confession box.

El Patron was excellent, both with Dario Cueto, and in the ring on the mic.

No Prince Puma this week, or Cage, but Fenix, Pentagon, Mundo & Havok were all decent watches.

Striker made a great point about Havoc needing to get a payday, a win, because that's what it's all about, blah, blah, blah.  Point being, it was great:  so simple, one of the built-in stories of pro wrestling.  So refreshing to hear.  

It's extra-great because Son of Havoc has the extra incentive of his girlfriend - the baddest bitch in the building - not wanting to be known as someone who tolerates the company of losers.  I can see lots of fun things coming out of this subplot.  I've enjoyed Son of Havoc's in-ring work and he seems to have connected with the crowd pretty well, I hope this bodes good things for him going forward.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/02/lucha-underground-episode-14-workrate.html

Pretty rough episode in terms of in ring work, but probably the strongest as far as non in ring goes. Mundo looked awful in his match and the announce team over pushing that phantom "blown out knee" was embarrassing. But all the vignettes were so damn good that I'd call the episode a win.

Lucha Underground Report 2/18/15

Mil Muertes vs. Chavo Guerrero Jr.: No Catrina coming out with Mil. Chavito gets tossed about early until he hits a sweet pescada and goes after the leg. Really dug Mil's delayed sell of a kick to the chest as he was coming through the ropes. Now here comes Catrina... in... a black... latex... dress... Whoops sorry there, back to the match. Mil has the biggest straight right ever. Big spill over the ropes from Chavito then Catrina has Mil distracted with that stone thingy. Chavito with the chair to no avail, only to get Flatlinered on it (as least that is a decent use of the move). Damn, Mil grabs her by the hair to give Guerrero the lick of death, she refuses so he goozles her again! Fenix out comes to be chivalrous and saves her from the Flatliner, gets some tongue of his own for his efforts. Some guys have all the luck. Pretty good work with Chavito not quite getting Eddy-level with the sneaky tricks but doing enough to make a match out of it. 

Black Lotus (wearing more black latex, I like this theme) unlocks a door and ascends a staircase... TO WHERE?

If you haven't seen City of the Living Dead before, that shit rules, watch it. Ooooo, and it looks like we get Francis Ford Coppola in The Director's Chair! Niiiiiice.

The Crew have their own jerseys and are talking to Dario. I hope they don't wear those all the time because it'll be confusing me again. Dario acts the complete asshole and gives them a No DQ three-way against our minority group of Pimpi, Mascarita and Sexy Star. What a prick. 

Ivelisse vs. Angelico: Son of Havoc promptly gets his nuts cut off as Ivelisse takes the match away from him. She really looks tiny next to Angelico. They work some potential kiss spots though Angelico is pretending to be a gentleman. This is really worked out well, she hits a great flying headscissors and some nice kicks on him before Havoc interferes with a headkick to help her with the win. Angelico gets his heat back, sleazing up on Ivelisse and pushing Havoc off the apron. All this was solid evolution in their characters; I smell a face turn or at least another match or two here. 

Super Fly vs. Texano: I guess we're cutting off the "Jr." for Texano here. All I remember from him is the team with Terrible, and that's been awhile, so no idea how good he is. Before the match he gets into some backstory about him and Alberto with Vamp. We start off with your basic mirror spots and they go back and forth for like a minute total before Texano wins with the backbreaker-into-neckbreaker. Alberto is here! He beats on Texano and uses the bullrope before the crew breaks it up. The swinging rope clears the ring! Match was absolutely nothing but we're moving things along at a good clip with the two as Vamp and Striker hint at the AAA belt being defended on the show. I want a damn bullrope match.

Cage barges into Dario's office and demands to be champ; Dario gives him a non-title match for #1 Contendership. Cage tosses him the scraps of the belt. Then Chavito barges in and quits; Dario wishes him well in his future endeavors (heh) and mutters about the gods not being pleased as he looks at the belt. Black Lotus in her Underworld suit has found ze monstah and says when she was a girl she wanted to be the one to kill it with her bare hands. Okay then. 

Escarlotta Pimpinella/Mascarita Sagrada/Sexy Star vs. Bael/Cortez Castro/Mr. Cisco: Okay, the Crew took off their jerseys. Well this is a bit uncomfortable as Pimpi gets choked out with the cane and sent to the back, Mascarita fights back before getting curbstomped on a chair, and Sexy gets her lip busted. She gets the duke by flash rollup after Big Ryck comes down and distracts them. I can see this bothering some people but in all honesty it's tame in comparison to ECW and even Attitude Era WWF because the heat was in the right place and the underdogs came off tough (except Pimpi, who is more just looking for a kiss than wanting to fight). They really are pushing the sexual themes hard in this episode though in all but one of the matches. I think everything came off well but I don't want to see another whole episode revolving around it again.

I was trying to get a look at what Dario was writing in his notebook during the scene with Cage. There were two words written on top of the page. The first word was definitely Taurus. I couldn't read the second word.

That segment was immediately followed by Black Lotus finding the monster. If you blinked you missed it, but Lotus was captured/kidnapped at the very end of the segment.

As hokey/corny as some of the telenovela bits are, they are immensely more interesting than anything the WWE has put out in years.

• Like 1

I was trying to get a look at what Dario was writing in his notebook during the scene with Cage. There were two words written on top of the page. The first word was definitely Taurus. I couldn't read the second word.

Yea, SD did not help on that bit (if it was meant to be a bit): B-LGy-HCUAASq2n.png

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there somewhere online to watch LU that isn't horribly cropped?

The Full Show ones on youtube I've been able to find just mess with me and I can't watch them like that.

Just to warn everyone, the LU Wiki page will spoil a big future happening on the show for you (and no, it's not who the damn monster is) so you might want to avoid going there.

EDIT: Ha, other funny things you find on Wiki. Re: Catrina/Maxine: 

Perez is of SpanishCubanItalianHawaiianEnglish, and Chinese ancestry.[citation needed]

Um... that is possible, right?