DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

Looking forward to what's on-tap at the Temple tonight, which will feature the formal introduction of Alberto El Patron with matches featuring Fenix, Pentagon Jr (CERO MIEDO!) and what I'm looking forward to seeing, a match between Johnny Mundo and Son of Havoc which will undoubtedly feature Mundo going over.  Son of Havoc is lucky Ivelisse has more character than to fall for the oily, sleazy charm and frequent wins that Johnny Mundo can boast.

When are they going to get some merchandise?  Phooey!

They were selling logo shirts (which were popular) and Prince Puma shirts (which were not as much) prior to the tapings this weekend, plus LU trucker hats and stickers. I didn't see Prince Puma masks at the small merch stand, but there were definitely three-four people who had them on Sunday so someone's making them.

They briefly had a web store with that gear (and more) on sale, but it went away quickly and hasn't been back up yet though there's always talk it'll be back 'soon'. I think this is one of the ways Lucha Underground is a TV Show and instead of a Wrestling Promotion - TV shows don't usually sell much merch and don't spend much time thinking about it.

Lucha Underground Report 2/11/15

I walked in right as Alberto was asking for blood so that's that for that.

Argenis vs. Fenix: Wow that one Fenix dropkick didn't touch shit. Argenis did a kick to the taint but that's the only thing to make you think he's a rudo. They run through a bunch of stuff and then Catrina comes down to ringside (Vamp: "I wish I could tell you how I really felt..." in a mournful and creepy way; afterwards both guys get even pervier talking about her). Argenis hits a massive super rana and a big something-driver but Fenix wins with the Fire Thunder Driver and Argenis gets the lick of death. They really just sprinted through a ton of shit with no selling or structure, so me no likey. I will let Vamp and Striker's comments about Catrina serve for my own. 

Next is a segment with Mil Muertes literally picking up Catrina by the throat then saying "I... NEED... LOTUS!" Then he beats up Chavito in a hallway and says next week he'll pay his debt. We switch then to Big Ryck confessing to a priest that he's gonna take care of the Crew. He's got an eyepatch! Goddamn I love these things. Treating it like a telenovela is somehow way more realistic than anything WWE, TNA, etc. do with their backstage bits. Strange.

Son of Havoc vs. Johnny Mundo: Havoc gets the jobber intro as he's standing in the ring the whole time the band plays! At least they let him have the mic for a minute. Havoc trying to book it away from Johnny's dive only to get crushed anyway was funny. Johnny lands on his head after Ivelisse takes his legs out from under him on a springboard. He intermittently sells the knee from last week but everything he does involves the legs anyway. Since he's had a week to recover it doesn't make much sense anyway aside from to remind people about Cuerno. Havoc actually gets some hope spots which is nice and the crowd is into it but I just can't bring myself to care about the erstwhile M-Dogg 20. Havoc delays his SSP for an absurd amount of time to let Mundo revive and finish him off, then Cuerno comes in and dumps Mundo on his head. I was going to complain about him not going after the leg again but if Mundo isn't gonna sell it anyway, there's no point. Looking him up, Havoc is a handsome dude, maybe he should lose the beard, mask and valet and turn face. 

Pentagon Jr. vs. Ricky Mandel: Vamp confuses Ricky Mandel for Rick Martel which is dumb (and seemingly only there so they could namedrop) but I got a chuckle out of it. Pentagon has finally come into full force as a creepy dude who beats the shit out of jobbers and breaks their arms. Another quality squash. 

El campion del AAA, Alberto El Patron! Alberto cuts a great face promo until Texano Jr. comes in and whips the shit out of him with a bullrope and says he's taking back the belt. It's weird that they're talking up the AAA championship with nary a word about the LU title. Maybe both belts will be defended a la WWE? Interesting either way, and fuck the haters -- I've always liked Alberto and I'm happy to see him on my TV again.

Not a big fan of the matches this week but the angle stuff and the squash were great.

• Like 1

Like I said on twitter... New Japan was okay. NXT was very good. Lucha Underground was great!

Alberto vs Dario in a battle of smirks was fantastic.

Fenix vs Argenis was just a total spotfest. Felt longer than the 5 minutes listed. Too many amazing spots to go over but Fenix looked fantastic. His first dive was beyond unreal. Who knew Argenis could go? I knew he wasn't as bad as his brother Argos but didn't know he could keep up with Fenix.

Mil Muertes is ready to kill some people and even choked a woman! I had no issue with it although I saw a few people did. Eh. I'm curious as to what her deal is here. Chavo getting killed was funny. I've been waiting for that since episode #1!

Big Ryck promo video was very good. I also loved the way they filmed it. Having real TV people involved with this company is so beneficial.

Mundo vs Havoc was great! BRIAN XL NAMEDROP MOTHERFUCKER! Finally Havoc got a chance to shine and he brought it. Mundo did some really cool stuff as well.

Pentagon Jr. murdering poor Ricky Mandell was what it should have been. Loved the torture rack into the corner/dropkick combo. I am so happy they are letting Pentagon Jr. be this dude who just kills people instead of getting creative and trying to repackage him as something he isn't. Hope he breaks Vamp's arm next.

Alberto's promo was tremendous. As Zellner said on twitter - perhaps the best of his career. I especially loved the everyone is equal line. I have no issue with Texano jumping him and laying him out since it makes Texano a big player right away but I might have held off a week and had Alberto's first appearence in the ring be all about him and nobody else. Very excited to see these guys do battle here to compare it to their fun AAA work.

As I said, great show. Everything is clicking with my tastes in wrestling.

I loved the show as well. Thought El Patron came off like a big star and Texano look great as well.

Pentagon Jr is finally getting pushed. I wonder if the wrestlers will come back and get revenge on him?

I like how the commentary said that Cuerno hunting Mundo because he is friends with Puma and trying to get to him. They already planted the seeds for a future feud.

Mundo has been the best in-ring performer on the show so far in my opinion.

Cero fucking Miedo!

When I was at the tapings Sat I got a black logo shirt and a pack with buttons and a sticker that is now on my car. The Prince Puma shirt is probably unpopular because its $30 and the rest of the shirts are $25. Plus the graphic isn't all that great.

Basically if you're going to a taping and want merch go the first day because I've heard they don't replenish until the next week.

I thought the show was good, though not as great as the previous week.  The opening match embodied so many of the things I dislike about the Lucha style - bad transitions, nonsensical selling of minor moves to allow lengthy setups for ridiculous dives, completely missed spots, etc.  This is one of the reasons why I like them to avoid too many of these pure acrobatic luchadore vs luchadore matches, it legitimately ruins my enjoyment of the show, like seeing the zipper on a movie monster snaps me out of my suspension of disbelief.  

The backstage stuff was gold though.  The production values of these segments are really something special.  Big Ryck's confessional was so effective and captivating.  I wonder how well he'll be able to wrestle with one eye covered, but I guess if Scotty Riggs could do dives and dropkicks without depth perception a lummox like Ryck will make it work.  

Mil Muertes needs to start killing people yesterday.  Poor Chavo.

Oh yeah, Son of Havoc and Pentagon Jr are really doing a nice job getting over with the crowd.  Pentagon's match wasn't as good as the one from last week but I love the way they're setting him up as a crippler.  Son of Havoc always impresses me with his agility, and I like his pairing with Ivelisse, it works for both of them and creates a nature angle as he keeps losing.  She don't date losers!

• Like 1

Everybody from Eric,Chris,Konnan and even Russo himself denied it. Meltzer open up a can of worms.

This promotion cannot catch a break from the talent pay, fake fans, spending too much and now Russo. its only been 13-14 weeks. I guess its part of the territory.

I didn't catch that Mil Muertes said "Lotus". That seems to fit in the Matanza mystery, somewhere. I'm about two more clues from going from filling up a wall of evidence and using string lines to connect them all.

Alberto promo was great. Wish it happened on another night.

The Russo thing was flat out shot down... BUT... if we are to believe the rumors there are two opposing factions trying to take over political power on the show. One who wants things to stay the course & one who wants to go in the direction of more ex-WWE guys doing more WWE style things. It should be no secret which group would want Russo in & who is alligned with each faction (i.e. Chavo Guerrero Jr. is not in the stay the course faction).

Cubs wrote about it today in his daily update and made the most sense. It's not even worth worrying about right now. After this weekend they'll have stuff taped until something like May or June. So Russo can't effect anything even if they do bring him in. And the decision whether to do more than 39 episodes (which hasn't been made yet) will come in the summer so even if they do bring him in and the show takes a 180 into TNA level nonsense - everyone can jump ship and pretend the show died after episode 39.:)

I simply cannot fathom Konnan working with Russo.  Come on.  

Mundo vs Son Of Havoc was far better than I imagined it would be.  Mundo is really perfect for this promotion.  I'm very much looking forward to Cuerno and Mundo.  Striker made a great point about Havoc needing to get a payday, a win, because that's what it's all about, blah, blah, blah.  Point being, it was great:  so simple, one of the built-in stories of pro wrestling.  So refreshing to hear.  

Sweep the leg, Johnny!