DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

MY GOD. AERO STAR. That was vintage 1996 style Rey Jr. vs Mr. JL or Jimmy Grafitti level one-man show using moves way ahead of their time. In his first exchange Aero Star re-invented the springboard & how to run the ropes! WHAT ELSE CAN YOU SAY? It's crazy to think if not for our constant bitching AAA would still have him doing opening internet only matches with Nino Hamburguesa.

Fenix/Mil Muertes was fun. Muertes' punches are fantastic.

Didn't overly dig the main event. It just made no sense from the standpoint of Cage doing flying moves (why?) & Puma countering with power moves like the deadlift suplex on Cage. Why build the guy as a machine if he's getting suplexed around with ease? Certainly seemed like they were saving a bigger match with bigger spots for down the road.

The extra stuff was real good. Their skits remain miles ahead of anything in WWE. The Cage one in particular was amazing. Konnan taking the early lead for non-wrestler of the year. Curious to see where the angle with Asian girl plays out. Motanza? I dunno.

Overall I can't call the show anything but great after that six man tag.

I went to a Lucha Underground taping this past weekend. Great experience, and sat ringside. Will definitely be on TV when it airs on March. The only shitty part was during a segment that featured

Angelico vs Ivelisse

In a pretty one sided match that featured a lot of sexist heelin', the guy behind me would not shut up and kept yelling stuff out to the silent crowd about how we should all be ashamed of ourselves for cheering, that Lucha Underground is better than that, delete the tape of the match, etc. Turns out he's some wrestling journalist named Brandon Stroud. Why am I not surprised? Everyone around him eventually snapped and told him to shut up and stop being so dramatic. Anyway, was definitely a super fun show. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Why build the guy as a machine if he's getting suplexed around with ease?

Well he struggled like hell and barely succeeded with the second one. I think they're trying to emphasize that both guys can do each other's stuff, but I don't think it came off like a good idea either.

I went to a Lucha Underground taping this past weekend. Great experience, and sat ringside. Will definitely be on TV when it airs on March. The only shitty part was during a segment that featured

Angelico vs Ivelisse

In a pretty one sided match that featured a lot of sexist heelin', the guy behind me would not shut up and kept yelling stuff out to the silent crowd about how we should all be ashamed of ourselves for cheering, that Lucha Underground is better than that, delete the tape of the match, etc. Turns out he's some wrestling journalist named Brandon Stroud. Why am I not surprised? Everyone around him eventually snapped and told him to shut up and stop being so dramatic. Anyway, was definitely a super fun show. Great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

the dramatics sound crazy but I'd be lying if I didn't say I would be perfectly fine if they actually did delete that storyline. I have no idea if it's going to turn out good or bad and that's not the actual problem - I'm more concerned the sexist heeling is going to end up filling my Twitter timeline with super inane debates about "intergender wrestling" or "women in wrestling" (like the guy in this match times 100, plus the people on the other side times 100) and I'm going to want to murder many people. Please no. 

Fun show, I can't say I'm particularly anxious for the big Konan vs Vampiro blowoff match but I'll take my lumps as a viewer.  They need to do more to build up the various luchadores as characters and personalities, I thought the trios match was a heap of fun but none of those guys have had much chance to really develop their characters, give Cisco, Cortes, and Bael a little mic time to rile up the crowd before the match or something.  They've spent several segments on building up a lummox like Cage when they should be making more effort to connect the more traditional lucha wrestlers with an audience that obviously wants to see a lucha-flavored product.  You can see steroid-pumped goons on every other wrestling show in America.

I also think Naimark needs to watch some Cage matches instead of assuming he can't work because he's ripped as fuck. I've been a fan of his for quite some time. He was basically a badass Indy dude first and then got into bodybuilding, so now he's a monster.

They've spent several segments on building up a lummox like Cage when they should be making more effort to connect the more traditional lucha wrestlers with an audience that obviously wants to see a lucha-flavored product.  

They shouldve crowned a trios title first like Chikara did they went years before crowning a singles champ and even that was secondary.

Chikara held trios tournaments, but they created a tag title. And got years of "why don't you have a singles title? WHEN are you going to have a singles title?" feedback for it.

It was probably successful in separating Chikara from other indies, but Lucha Underground has a lot of other elements which make it distinct. And, you could throw people together as units easily, but LU doesn't have a lot of natural tag teams.

LU is pretty fantastic at building characters at an appropriate pace, if you ask me. I don't want to know everything about Mr. Cisco and his group yet. When they first showed up they were bland hired muscle, but then they turned on Ryck because apparently their loyalty has limits, and they go into business for themselves with Cuerto. Now they're winning trios matches because they have a Shield level ability to work as a team against their opponents. 

Also Cisco gets really mad if you forget the 'mister' part.

I'm digging it. A little bit of what they're all about a few episodes at a time.

Latest episode was probably my favourite to date, despite the screwy finish.

I hate to hang on such a small thing and I know moaning about commentary is old hat but Striker really would be so much more tolerable if he just commited to the product. Every move seems to have a "call it what you will" at the end, after he gives three different names for a move, trying to show off his knowledge. Just call it one word and stay with it. You're calling the action, it's not up to me, the viewer, to call it anything. I want to be told what it's called. It's a small thing albeit.

On the other hand, I'm enjoying Vampiro even more and the "brother" talk doesn't irritate one bit. Those interview segments he does are fucking brilliant too so that's likely helping fuel my love for him on the show.

I hate to hang on such a small thing and I know moaning about commentary is old hat but Striker really would be so much more tolerable if he just commited to stuffing instead of potatoes. Every move seems to have a "call it what you will" at the end, after he gives three different names for a move, trying to show off his knowledge. Just call it one word and stay with it. You're calling the action, it's not up to me, the viewer, to call it anything. I want to be told what it's called. It's a small thing albeit.

Super good point. I kind of don't even care if they're called the wrong thing as long as he just calls them one thing. You want to call it a frankensteiner? Awesome. Commit to it. 

Their work is fine (the dropkick spot is especially awesome) but it would be nice if they looked even the slightest bit different so I can tell them apart. Maybe it would help to give them an intro segment like most everyone else has had so far.

Just go by the chubby scale: Cisco is the chubbiest, Bael has a belly, and Castro is the only one who looks like he has picked up a weight.

I also think Naimark needs to watch some Cage matches instead of assuming he can't work because he's ripped as fuck. I've been a fan of his for quite some time. He was basically a badass Indy dude first and then got into bodybuilding, so now he's a monster.

It's not that he can't work, he seems to have all of his goon spots down.  But it diminishes the entire product when you have all of these smaller, athletic guys in masks who look very distinct and different than what you'll see on the WWE or TNA roster, all out there busting their humps with crazy dives and elaborate spots, and then as soon as a WWE-type enters the ring they all get scattered like little green army men on the floor.  I actually thought they were going to do something clever during the Cage vs Prince Puma commentary when Stryker commented that Cage's mouth was hanging open and that indicated fatigue.  "Aha!" I thought to myself, "This would be such a great idea!  The big men can dominate with their power moves, but emphasize that the longer the match goes, the more it favors the smaller man because he doesn't have to lug around all that oxygen-sucking muscle!  It's genius!"

But it was just a throwaway line and that made me sad.  It was a missing opportunity to add a valuable psychological element that could have pervaded the entire promotion.

• Like 2

Well-said about the Cage match.  I was hoping it would lead to something as well, but it didn't.  I like Cage, but feel he shouldn't do anything close to a lucha move.  He should do his take on a Brock-type style.  It should be the smaller guy running circles around him, but once Cage grabs him that's it.  For a champ like Prince Puma he could kick out of some power moves, but shouldn't be trading aerial moves with Cage.