DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

I love the stairs and the way they serve as an Aztec temple-like entrance, it lends itself to the uniqueness of the show, but the wrestlers need to stop doing dives out that way, there have already been several close calls that made me cringe while watching in real-time.  

It feels weird saying this about a wrestling show but the need some more character development, interviews, and backstage vignettes to help get the characters and angles over.  A recap of the Drago/King Cuerno feud would have been helpful, for example, a proper package rather than the quick throwaway summary they gave.  

Man, these last two episodes have been aces. Glad they didn't go crazy with the plunder in Aztec Warfare and Ryck/Muretes needing two guys to pin them after getting killed by finishers was great.

Angelico's dive in the 4-way was insane this week and it's cool to see Dragon/Cureno get built up some more. Cage making a big statement on his very first show is interesting.

Is Pentagon Jr. done with LU for the time being? Kind wanted to see a bit more of him.

So I tweeted to Striker and Vampiro last night about the origins of the 450 Splash, saying that I would think of 2 Cold Scorpio in that regard. Randomly, Vampiro tweeted me back a few times about it, joking that he once did a 450 Splash when he was drunk in high school and fell down the stairs.

Vamp prob did a 450 out the window when he was running from that gang.

Someone is seriously going to knock their teeth out on those stairs if they keep doing dives out there.  

with the tapings starting up again tomorrow, I wonder if they've remodeled the place to prevent that (or made any other changes.)

Funny, Meltzer doesn't bring that up more than the dives off the office. I've thought the same thing about them hitting the stairs. Remember early episodes they had a wider space on the other side since there weren't as many fans attending and then they added more seats when more people started attending the tapings. Maybe they should have thought about moving the ring a little further away from the stairs at that time, but ya' know El Rey...they think on the fly.

Striker and Vampiro were awful on this last episode. Made worse when I watched the NJPW show on AXS TV. Mauro Ranallo and Josh Barnett were 1 billion times better than them.

Another good show. Four way was great and everyone had a chance to look good - I expected Cage to massacre everyone but while that was the final outcome, everyone bar the dude was wasn't Aerostar had a cool moment or two. I liked Angelico a lot, I hope he stays around. He has goofy stoner charisma and his dive was nuts, his "huh" reaction was great. I wish he didn't throw clotheslines two feet above everyone's head; they are going to duck it anyway dude, you are killing me.

Cage looked like a beast but even in the confines of LU looked short; I can see why the WWE passed on him, he's essentially Tank Toland. Vamp is terrible on commentary but is likable, and I think he's getting (a bit) better. I can't believe they didn't edit out the bit where he said that wrestlers in Lucha Underground show "compassion", when he clearly meant passion. His explanation of what it would mean to have a style that was a mix of Dr Wagner and Atlantis (or whoever) was utterly nonsensical. I think Striker was ribbing him just asking that.

Cuerno and Drago are stuck in a bit of a holding pattern but their match had some bezerk dives so that is ok. I agree that Puma and Fenix will have better matches, but it was still fun. Them trading dives at the beginning like normal dudes trade punches was great, and showed that it was two elite high flyers trying to raise the bar on each other. I've only seen a handful of Ricochet matches from PWG and nothing from Dragon Gate, though I am going to look some stuff up. Is his Puma work the best he has done, or would others say he's better without the mask? He's probably my favourite guy to watch right now (though Big Ryck is running him close), I love the Flair/Fargo strut build up to a dive.

Seriously, where was Ryck? If Dario is getting in new muscle to chase Puma, at least have him in a fued against Mascarita Sagrada. Maybe Sagrada could bring in an army of minis to take down the Crew.

Texano Jr. was also at the 1st set of tapings.

In some bad news for Robert and myself, Chris DeJoseph was asked if Taya Valkyrie would be on Lucha Underground at some point and he said yes. :(

insuring Lance Storm will start putting the show over,

When does Rob start lobbying for Jennifer Blake?

Taya was inevitable, she has all the right connections. I'm shocked she wasn't there already to be honest.

Jennifer Blake is much better but she has the good girl look and there doesn't seem to be a role for that in Lucha Underground.

I still think they really miscast Sexy Star's charachter. She's not good enough in the ring or on the mic to pull that off, never mind the fact she's a natural heel. Ivelisse should have gotten that gig but again - Sexy Star had the right connections.

I just realized last week that I get UniMas so I'm in the Lucha Underground pool!  My kids dug Drago because my oldest son actually got some of that black ooze for Christmas and Drago using it as a tongue was a novel way for it to be used.  My youngest kept calling Puma King "Cheesehead Boy."  It's good to have Lucha Libre on the big screen again.

I just realized last week that I get UniMas so I'm in the Lucha Underground pool!  My kids dug Drago because my oldest son actually got some of that black ooze for Christmas and Drago using it as a tongue was a novel way for it to be used.  My youngest kept calling Puma King "Cheesehead Boy."  It's good to have Lucha Libre on the big screen again.

Do you have a dish or Xfinity?  LU is also on El Rey Network if you have the extended channel package via digital cable.

That's Prince Puma. Puma King is in CMLL, but I believe he lost his crown and is now just referred to as "Puma", but some still refer to him as Puma King. Both Pumas are cool though. There's probably several dozen more roaming the Lucha Kingdom.

Whoever PAC is.

And I got FIOS because I'm too broke for DirecTV.

That's Prince Puma. Puma King is in CMLL, but I believe he lost his crown and is now just referred to as "Puma", but some still refer to him as Puma King. Both Pumas are cool though. There's probably several dozen more roaming the Lucha Kingdom.

Whoever PAC is.

Aha.  My girlfriend also has FiOS, so I have to watch LU on UniMas when I am up in MD.  FiOS really does need to add El Rey to their lineup.

Whoever PAC is.

Aha.  My girlfriend also has FiOS, so I have to watch LU on UniMas when I am up in MD.  FiOS really does need to add El Rey to their lineup.

Sounds like I'm getting a better version from what I read about Matt Cross.

Whoever PAC is.

PAC is Adrian Neville in NXT. Prince Puma is also Ricochet.