DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

Third episode of Agent Carter aired on UK TV last Sunday and the series is 3-0. I'm really enjoying this show. Without spoilers, what did you think about Agent Carter's debut season?

Lemme put it this way: I've only got one complaint (that being, all her coworkers being such fucking awful people, both professionally and personally; and their inexplicably biased vendetta against Howard Stark). Otherwise, everything's awesome. Peggy Carter is probably the overall most fun Marvel TV protagonist, nicely bridging the gap between Agents of SHIELD's goofiness and Daredevil's grit. Also, the 1940s setting is tremendously fun, well-executed and making everything look and feel completely different from all the other modern superhero shows.
  • Like 1

Third episode of Agent Carter aired on UK TV last Sunday and the series is 3-0. I'm really enjoying this show. Without spoilers, what did you think about Agent Carter's debut season?

Lemme put it this way: I've only got one complaint (that being, all her coworkers being such fucking awful people, both professionally and personally; and their inexplicably biased vendetta against Howard Stark). Otherwise, everything's awesome. Peggy Carter is probably the overall most fun Marvel TV protagonist, nicely bridging the gap between Agents of SHIELD's goofiness and Daredevil's grit. Also, the 1940s setting is tremendously fun, well-executed and making everything look and feel completely different from all the other modern superhero shows.

Thank you. We're in agreement.

I can tell you this: I'm possibly the only person on this board that was thoroughly bored while watching the first season. I'll check out Season 2, but by no means is it must-see TV for me. In the Phase II thread, I posted about how I think the Cap movies are overrated to all hell, so obviously my tastes in Marvel's movies and TVs is pretty different from a lot of you guys.

Oooooh, the shittiest version of Thunderbolts. Yeah, that might actually happen.

ETA: No sarcasm meant.

SECOND shittiest. Underground fight club was worse by far.

Is it an unpopular opinion to not be a fun of the Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts? Fucking Penance...

First version of Thunderbolts is the only way to go.

Lemme put it this way: I've only got one complaint (that being, all her coworkers being such fucking awful people, both professionally and personally; and their inexplicably biased vendetta against Howard Stark). 

Members of the US Secret Service deciding something about someone, and then continuing to believe it, even in the face of overwhelming evidence it's not in any way true? Shocking.

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooh, the shittiest version of Thunderbolts. Yeah, that might actually happen.

Is it an unpopular opinion to not be a fun of the Warren Ellis' Thunderbolts? Fucking Penance...

I enjoyed Ellis' run on Thunderbolts.  

It's by far my favorite version of Norman Osborn.  Ellis wrote him as bug-nuts crazy but very charming and almost rational at times.  I got such a kick out of the 'Caged Angels' story where the team is manipulated by a group of telepaths into nearly killing each other.

Imagine Tommy Lee Jones (or whomever they cast since TLJ was in Cap 1) delivering this monologue in a Netflix 'Thunderbolts' series.

Is403.jpg

I'd love it.

Meh. I'm not a big fan of the Ellis run, but I still like it better than Fightbolts or Hulkbolts.

My general ranking is:

1) Classic Bolts by Busiek (with or without Nicieza)

2) Jeff Parker's run (including the Osbolts, Cage bolts and Dark Avengers runs)

3) Nicieza without Busiek, both classic and New

4) Ellis

5) Red Hulk Bolts

6)Arcudi's underground MMA shit show.

• 2 weeks later...

Thunderbolts was the comic that held the line when the rest of Marvel became horrifically shitty, ground level, and decompressed. 

I think that the only two marketable versions are the worst two ones though. 

I have high hopes for Al Ewing's New Avengers. I think it'll feel similar. 

Thunderbolts was the comic that held the line when the rest of Marvel became horrifically shitty, ground level, and decompressed. 

Well that and the Perez/Busiek Avengers run, which both happened a year or 2 apart. wih the end result being Hawkeye ileading the T-Bolts.

James