DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

But if every episode was a villain of the week story involving some random Marvel baddie, it would probably get old really quick.  Plus it could mean those characters would not pop elsewhere either if they died or they wanted a different actor for them.

Absorbing Man makes sense from the perspective that there is never going to be another Hulk movie.  It doesn't make sense to squeeze in Absorbing Man to one of the Avengers films.  

Is this going to be another instance of people here discounting dirt sheet info? 

Yes.

The problem with AGENTS OF SHIELD is that, while they made a stronger move toward serialization post-WINTER SOLDIER, the show is still structured like a network procedural, and network procedurals live and die not by the strength of their cases, but by the personalities and chemistry of their cast. And SHIELD's cast is full of a bunch of handsome faces without much else going on. In particular, Clark Gregg is woefully inadequate at filling the same "middle-aged male authority figure" centerpiece role of guys like Mark Harmon and William Peterson and Mandy Patinkin, etc. And if you don't have a strong center, well...you know what happens to the rest.

I think people could deal with the lack of comic characters and references if they gave half a shit about any of the characters on the show.

They seem to be trying to pump some life into these sentient mannequins with stuff like turning Ward evil and giving Fitz a mental breakdown, and some of the newer faces like Hunter and Mockingbird seem to have more dynamic personalities than the core cast, but I feel like it's probably too little, too late.

Like, I gave not a shit about Fitz before, so I'm more irritated by his condition than saddened by it. And I've only watched 4 of the episodes. God help all of you who've sat through every scene of him stammering and talking to ghost Simmons.

Planting Simmons at Hydra was the most interesting thing they've done, but apparently they blew that off in a hurry.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Coulson actually showed a little fire this week.  About time. 

He has this low key passive aggressive mannerism when it comes to this. "Oh, oops. I'm over here now, smiling and calmly screwing you. Sorry for the inconvenience." In general I like it, but I get why other people wouldn't. 

I'm okay with that stuff.  I'm talking about when it's necessary for him to take it up a notch (I should be more clear: I'm talking about the actor even though I unwisely used the character's name.  Sorry for any confusion.)  That flashback where his brain is being operated on is terrible.  "Ah. don't... stop... (yawn)  please kill me."  You don't get any emotion from it.  This time when he was being brainscanned and when he did the asylum scenes (as the patient), he came off as a controlled personality who lost control.  Much better.  

I really liked the episode this week for SHIELD.  For starters we got just about all the loose ends wrapped up regarding Coulson's resurrection.  I never cared for how dragged out the story became.  Then again, I don't care for longer seasons over 22 episodes anyway.  Still it was mostly wrapped up, besides that we don't know what the hidden city is be it Attillan, Atlantis, Kree homeworld or something.  

I don't want to make too many assumptions because I feel like Marvel is going to tease us a lot and then its going to be a bait switch of something we didn't expect at all.  

What I liked about the flashbacks, I'm not sure if this is even noticeable or if it was just me, but it seemed like Coulson was the Coulson of the earlier movies.  A little colder and a little harsher.  He was conflicted about the experiments, but he still went along with them.  I recall in the first season, one of Coulson's protege's who had the eye implant said Coulson was changed and was much nicer and warmer than he used to be.

I like the conspiracy theory that they killed Logan so they can bring him back as a non mutant and use him in marvel movies.

Are people actually saying that? That's hilarious. I can't imagine the contract would be so poorly devised that Marvel could retroactively un-mutant someone to steal the rights back.

• Like 1

It's a map of Stamford, Connecticut. Speedball is going to be in a future episode(s). I don't know. Maybe whatever alien it turns out to be envisioned the future catastrophe that would lead to the Civil War in the MCU.

I just really, really want to see the evolution of Speedball into Penace played out. Talk about a fuckin' tearjerker if done right. It's practically made for TV.