DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Universe TV Thread

RIPPA

SHIELD fixing their problem and giving us an actual at least B Class hero with adding Mockingbird is awesome.

I'm guessing that Skye and Daddy Atreidies are gonna be Inhumans, and they'll build from that.

I wasn't sure which Ward brother was lying; maybe both of them.  Anyway, I agree that it's relieving that Skye, Coulson, and crew are clearly nowhere close to forgiving him.  I was afraid they might go there, so I'm glad they're reacting as strongly as they are.

• Like 1

Dislocating your thumb to get out of cuffs is the oldest trick in the book.  Coulson and co. should've seen that coming a mile away.

I was a little weirded out seeing the SHIELD agents handing the thugs off to Talbot.  I get that Talbot has a bit of a complicated relationship with Coulson and SHIELD, and Talbot did not believe the UN terrorists were SHIELD agents.  However, technically the SHIELD agents are still fugitives from the US government and Talbot was going after them.  

I dunno, it seems like some scenes or progression with that relationship were filmed and never shown on TV.  Because now it seems like Talbot is acting like some sort of unofficial liaison between the government and the underground SHIELD network.

I did find it interesting that SHIELD was a secret organization before the battle for New York and that's when they revealed themselves.

I think he was just a random dude.  I read a description of the next episode and it mentioned that victims are showing up with the symbols drawn on them like that tattoo parlor guy.  I don't think we are supposed to know who he is.

I was a little weirded out seeing the SHIELD agents handing the thugs off to Talbot.  I get that Talbot has a bit of a complicated relationship with Coulson and SHIELD, and Talbot did not believe the UN terrorists were SHIELD agents.  However, technically the SHIELD agents are still fugitives from the US government and Talbot was going after them.  

I dunno, it seems like some scenes or progression with that relationship were filmed and never shown on TV.  Because now it seems like Talbot is acting like some sort of unofficial liaison between the government and the underground SHIELD network.

I did find it interesting that SHIELD was a secret organization before the battle for New York and that's when they revealed themselves.

From the looks of it the biggest reason Talbot went after them so hard was because of Ward's brother. With the Senator being calmed down and the various things Coulson and crew have done to help I can see Talbot lightening up a bit. It was still a bit much in this particular episode.

Dislocating your thumb to get out of cuffs is the oldest trick in the book.  Coulson and co. should've seen that coming a mile away.

Made even more ironic by the fact that Adrienne Palicki did THE EXACT SAME THING this past weekend in the JOHN WICK movie.  (I notice these things.)

It's a little bit hard to go back to SHIELD after watching Arrow season 1 and 2 over the summer. It's not that Arrow is a better show. In a lot of ways, it's not, but the use of cameos and characters in Arrow and Flash compared to how they're used in SHIELD(and the Marvel movies in general really) is amazing. It feels like almost any minor character on Arrow or Flash that they need to bring in is brought in using a character from the comics. Need a female lawyer? Jean Loring it is. Sometimes that's a shame, because they really wasted Kate Spencer, who was one of DC's best characters of the 00s and a perfect fit for Arrow. Most of the time, though, it's sort of exciting to see them so willing to dive into the pool like that instead of just creating a random throwaway character. There's a cameo on almost every episode. 

On the other hand, Marvel is so wildly conservative in using anyone. We haven't seen Clay Quartermain or the Contessa yet. They're much quicker to just make up a new random character than bring in someone and since I'm much more into Marvel minutia, it's annoying. The flip side though is that when they bring in ANYONE, it feels exciting. Two of the biggest characters of the year for them were Pierce and Garrett, who aren't even C level marvel characters but D level or lower. They feel way more important than that though. 

Just very different experiences.

It's a little bit hard to go back to SHIELD after watching Arrow season 1 and 2 over the summer. It's not that Arrow is a better show. In a lot of ways, it's not, but the use of cameos and characters in Arrow and Flash compared to how they're used in SHIELD(and the Marvel movies in general really) is amazing. It feels like almost any minor character on Arrow or Flash that they need to bring in is brought in using a character from the comics. Need a female lawyer? Jean Loring it is. Sometimes that's a shame, because they really wasted Kate Spencer, who was one of DC's best characters of the 00s and a perfect fit for Arrow. Most of the time, though, it's sort of exciting to see them so willing to dive into the pool like that instead of just creating a random throwaway character. There's a cameo on almost every episode. 

On the other hand, Marvel is so wildly conservative in using anyone. We haven't seen Clay Quartermain or the Contessa yet. They're much quicker to just make up a new random character than bring in someone and since I'm much more into Marvel minutia, it's annoying. The flip side though is that when they bring in ANYONE, it feels exciting. Two of the biggest characters of the year for them were Pierce and Garrett, who aren't even C level marvel characters but D level or lower. They feel way more important than that though. 

Just very different experiences.

Yeah but in episodes 1 and 2 we got Absorbing Man as a villain.  Lance Hunter has joined the cast.  And now Mockingbird has joined the cast and she pretty much looks like Mockingbird now.

That's true. It was really more of a season one thing, and Mockingbird was a great addition. Lance Hunter is an E level character. 

But it's also more the little cameos and throw-away things, like in the DC note, how they've done two Blue Devil movie posters just hidden away. I think there's just way more weight to the Marvel Cinematic Universe so there's a lot of fear of wasting something or poorly establishing it. 

There have also been some rumors surfacing of tensions between Loeb on the TV side of things and Fiege on the film side. People assume they're all the same thing, but they're not, and - shock - there's a lot of political maneuvering behind the scenes. Wouldn't surprise me if Fiege was fucking with Loeb by constantly denying him use of characters.

There have also been some rumors surfacing of tensions between Loeb on the TV side of things and Fiege on the film side. People assume they're all the same thing, but they're not, and - shock - there's a lot of political maneuvering behind the scenes. Wouldn't surprise me if Fiege was fucking with Loeb by constantly denying him use of characters.

What is the source of the rumors?  Also, that makes no sense to me because its clearly established that they are in the same universe.  

What is the source of the rumors?  Also, that makes no sense to me because its clearly established that they are in the same universe.

Same universe, not the same corporate hierarchy. Loeb and Fiege are the overlords of their own separate domains, theoretically, but there's a sense that since the movies are where the big money is at, Fiege uses that clout to bigfoot Loeb on stuff.

Same universe, not the same corporate hierarchy. Loeb and Fiege are the overlords of their own separate domains, theoretically, but there's a sense that since the movies are where the big money is at, Fiege uses that clout to bigfoot Loeb on stuff.

I get that and all, but I'm just curious where it stems from and if its legit?