DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase III Discussion

RIPPA

Donald is too old to play a 13-16 year old.

Any way, what's Peter's role in Civil War going to be? In the comics he was the pawn of two major players that only cared about their endgame...

Oh shit!

Why would he need to be 13 to 16 years old?

For those wondering if there’s any possibility of a different person – say Miles Morales – behind the Spider-Man mask this time, Sony’s Doug Belgrad’s statement puts an end to that speculation. Says Belgrad, "Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios share a love for the characters in the Spider-Man universe and have a long, successful history of working together. This new level of collaboration is the perfect way to take Peter Parker's story into the future.”

IGN

Marvel/Disney was heard, but not quoted saying, "we saved this franchise from these dumbasses so we'll do whatever we damn well please to turn this shambling corpse into a billion dollar movie. Feel free to just ignore anything that comes from Sony."

• Like 2

Sam Raimi had Spider-Man rolling along just fine until Sony got stupid and made him use a story and characters he did not believe in. 

Fucking Venom, I swear....

Hypothetical I know, but I don't believe we would be having this conversation about S-M 3 being complete dreck if Raimi had been left alone to do his thing and make the John Malkovich / Vulture movie he wanted to create. 

• Like 2

If you want Donald Glover as Spider-Man watch the Ultimate Spider-Man Spider-Verse crossover.  Marvel wants a younger teen Spider-Man.  There will be no origin story.  The focus will be less on romance and more on Peter struggling with living a double life.  

The Donald Glover as Spider-Man fans will be about as effective as the petitions for Andrew Garfield to stay as Spider-Man.

8eu05LG.jpg

• Like 3

Spider-Man coming back to take his rightful place as Marvel's true flagship superhero.    Captain America and Iron Man were frauds.  This is best for business, etc.

Okay, Sony still has control over the solo flicks so it's not that big of a deal, but yeah.  It's a start.

Edit:
This is definitely my nerdiest post on this message board.  That covers a lot of ground on a wrestling theme forum.

• Like 1

Right now it's beneficial for both parties.  Civil War gets a boost for featuring Spider-Man.  Marvel will get a bigger merchandise boost from profits from Civil War merch involving Spider-Man.  Profit boost from merch for the next solo Spider-Man movie.

It's really better because box office grosses are so volatile now.  Sony benefits by having Spider-Man cross-pollinate with the MCU which is what the fans want.  Also future MCU crossovers with potential Spider-Man spin-offs.

I think the ultimate end game though is Disney and Marvel offers Sony a pot of gold for all things Spider-Man.  That is what Disney wants.  Think about it.  Disney owns Star Wars AND Indiana Jones.  For a while, Indiana Jones was still at Paramount after the Lucasfilm buyout.  Disney will want all those brands back at some point.  It might mean opening up a checkbook, but it is bound to happen at some point.  Maybe 5-10 years, but that's ultimately what will happen.

Disney will rule the planet :D .

Sam Raimi had Spider-Man rolling along just fine until Sony got stupid and made him use a story and characters he did not believe in. 

Fucking Venom, I swear....

Hypothetical I know, but I don't believe we would be having this conversation about S-M 3 being complete dreck if Raimi had been left alone to do his thing and make the John Malkovich / Vulture movie he wanted to create. 

Spider-man 3 was fucked the moment Raimi decided to ignore the story he was building with Harry and retcon his own film to tell a Sandman story. Venom didn't help, but it wouldn't have been much better.

I think the ultimate end game though is Disney and Marvel offers Sony a pot of gold for all things Spider-Man.  That is what Disney wants.

If the endgame is Disney buying back Spidey then this deal is kinda dumb because once Marvel undoes all the damage the first two horrible iterations did to the franchise it'll be like ten times more valuable than if they just let them crash and burn with their Sinister Six/Young Aunt May Chronicles ideas and then picked up the wreckage.

I think the ultimate end game though is Disney and Marvel offers Sony a pot of gold for all things Spider-Man.  That is what Disney wants.

If the endgame is Disney buying back Spidey then this deal is kinda dumb because once Marvel undoes all the damage the first two horrible iterations did to the franchise it'll be like ten times more valuable than if they just let them crash and burn with their Sinister Six/Young Aunt May Chronicles ideas and then picked up the wreckage.

Yes, but then the property loses value and takes that much more time and trouble to fix.

Re: yet another telling of the Spider-man origin:

I have visions of a throwaway gag in the "Avengers, now with 100% more Spider-Man" film, where someone asks Spidey, "How *did* you get your powers, anyway?" And he replies, "You know, it's actually an interesting story." Cut to the next scene.

• Like 1

Right now it's beneficial for both parties.  Civil War gets a boost for featuring Spider-Man.  Marvel will get a bigger merchandise boost from profits from Civil War merch involving Spider-Man.  Profit boost from merch for the next solo Spider-Man movie.

It's really better because box office grosses are so volatile now.  Sony benefits by having Spider-Man cross-pollinate with the MCU which is what the fans want.  Also future MCU crossovers with potential Spider-Man spin-offs.

I think the ultimate end game though is Disney and Marvel offers Sony a pot of gold for all things Spider-Man.  That is what Disney wants.  Think about it.  Disney owns Star Wars AND Indiana Jones.  For a while, Indiana Jones was still at Paramount after the Lucasfilm buyout.  Disney will want all those brands back at some point.  It might mean opening up a checkbook, but it is bound to happen at some point.  Maybe 5-10 years, but that's ultimately what will happen.

Disney will rule the planet :D .

I wouldn't be surprise if Disney's end game is to straight up buy Sony some day.

Long game, but I'm sure they've talk about it

Every thirty seconds Maguire takes off his fucking mask to cry. There's the ridiculous "Spider-Jesus" shit after the awesome subway fight. There's more post-9/11 "New Yorkers take care of their own" crap during the Spider-Jesus stuff.

Also all of the romance crap between Peter and MJ is Attack of the Clones-bad.

Seriously, watch that movie now and separate it from your fond memories of being 14 and watching it.

It's just not a good movie.

I will just have to agree to disagree with my good friend, Mr. Burrito.

I don't think that Spidey 2 is hands down the best superhero movie ever, but it definitely jostles around in the Top 5 between Superman 2 and The Dark Knight and other notables.

• Like 1