DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

Hard to tell.

I mean, shouldnt the inhumans be part of the ff license?

The simple fact that the Kree and Skrulls are split between two licensees makes the whole thing impossible to predict IMO. At least the "Fox (later Disney) gets the Kingpin, but Sony can use him for cartoons" thing made some tortured sort of sense. I legitimately believe that it is pointless to speculate how most of the 'important to both licenses' things will shake out.

Right, but I thought Kingpin was explicitly ceded to Fox for the DD movie during the period when Sony and Fox were actually cooperating and Marvel didn't have a "film division" and thus reverted along with DD. It makes perfect sense to say "How much is he worth to you?" and get some $ out of an asset they have no interest in using circa 2001.  The rest of the licensing breakdown feels more arbitrary and less explicable in terms of bargaining and jockeying. Somewhere, there is a really fascinating book to be written about the politics involved in all this shit from 2000-now.

According to ScreenRant.com:

20th Century Fox

Fantastic Four: Doctor Doom/Victor von Doom, Human Torch/Johnny Storm, Invisible Woman/Susan Storm, Mr. Fantastic/Dr. Reed Richards, The Thing/Ben Grimm, Nova/Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Willie Lumpkin

X-Men Mutants: [Agent Zero/Maverick/David North], Angel/Warren Worthington III, Arclight/Phillippa Sontag, Beast/Dr. Henry Phillip “Hank” McCoy, [blob/Frederick J. Dukes], [bolt/Christopher Bradley], Callisto, Colossus/Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin, Cyclops/Scott Summers, [Deadpool/Wade Wilson], Emma (Grace) Frost, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Juggernaut/Cain Marko, Gambit/Remy LeBeau, Glob Herman/Herman Gardner, Iceman/Bobby Drake, Jubilee/Jubilation Lee, Katherine “Kitty” Anne Pryde, [Kestrel/John Wraith], Lady Deathstrike/Yuriko Oyama, Leech, Magneto/Erik Magnus Lehnsherr, Mastermind/Jason (Wyngarde), Multiple Man/James Arthur Madrox, Mystique/Raven Darkholme, Nightcrawler/Kurt Wagner, Phat/William Robert “Billy-Bob” Reilly, Professor Charles Xavier, Psylocke/Elizabeth “Betsy” Braddock, Pyro/St. John Allerdyce, Quill/Max Jordan, Rogue/(Anna) Marie, Sabretooth/Victor Creed, Sebastian Hiram Shaw, [silver Fox], Siryn/Theresa Rourke Cassidy, (The) Spike, Storm/Ororo Munroe, Wolverine/Logan

X-Men Non-Mutants: Drake Family (Steven, Madeline, Ronny), Grey Family (Dr. John, Elaine), Henry Peter Gyrich, Robert Edward Kelly, Dr. Moira Kinross MacTaggert, Dr. Kavita Rao, William Stryker, Bolivar Trask, Warren Worthington II

Sony Pictures

Spider-Man: Spider-Man/Peter Parker, Doctor Octopus/Otto Octavius, Green Goblin/Norman Osborn, (New) Green Goblin/Harry Osborn, [The Lizard]/Dr. Curt Connors, Sandman/Flint Marko, Venom/Eddie Brock Jr., Vulture, Mysterio, Kraven the Hunter, Black Cat/Felicia Hardy, Silver Sable, Electro/Max Dillon, Rhino, Carnage/Cletus Kasady, Sinister Six, Shocker, Chameleon, The Gentleman, Dr. Ashley Kafka, Beetle, Betty Brant, Dennis Carradine (Buglar), J. Jonah Jameson, Ben Parker, May Parker, John Jameson, Joseph “Robbie” Robertson, Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson, Mendel Stromm, Flash Thompson, Allistair Smythe, Spider-Slayers, Miles Warren/Jackal,

• Like 1

Fantastic Four list should have Galactus & Silver Surfer as well, right? Because that's an awfully small rogue's gallery to run with - I know Doom is their best villain, but they can't fight him all the time.

Who's got Skrulls, Brood and Shi'Ar? We know Kree and Chitauri are with Marvel, the rest are up in the air.

The simple fact that the Kree and Skrulls are split between two licensees makes the whole thing impossible to predict IMO. At least the "Fox (later Disney) gets the Kingpin, but Sony can use him for cartoons" thing made some tortured sort of sense. I legitimately believe that it is pointless to speculate how most of the 'important to both licenses' things will shake out.

Eh, as a longtime Marvel reader the Kree going with the Avengers and the Skrulls with Fantastic Four makes sense to me.

When did Sony have the right to use Kingpin in cartoons? I thought the reason we got Tombstone as the mob boss in Spectacular Spider-Man was that they couldn't use Kingpin.

Also, aren't (at least some) characters important to multiple franchises usable by both licensees? Or is Quicksilver a unique case?

Quick question...I finally saw GOTG today. Who is Star Lord's father? Did they reveal that in the comics?

An alien named J'son of Spartax.  He is the emperor of the Spartoi empire in the comics.  \

However, James Gunn said he doesn't like J'Son and his father in the movies will not be J'Son of Spartax.

• Like 1