DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

http://io9.com/evangeline-lilly-almost-quit-ant-man-when-edgar-wright-1666558394

This is worth reading. It could be spin but I pretty much believe it. I like Wright as much as the next guy but I fully believe that he was going to go way off the rails and probably didn't really want to play ball in the way that they needed him to and that a competent-even-if-not-brilliant corporately minded talent could take most of the best stuff from his script and make it work far better within the MCU than he would have been willing to. 

• Like 1

The part about her being "adamantly against being in a comic book movie" after doing Lost, the Hobbit, and Real Steel makes me not like her. Robert Redford did a comic book movie, so shut up.

Yeah, but maybe she's trying not to get typecast as a genre actress.

The thing that seems so odd to me is that Marvel apparently didn't like Edgar Wright's vision for the movie. But they greenlit his script and signed him to direct. I just don't get it. If they didn't want to do it his way, just don't hire him. I mean, it's not like the world was crying out for an Ant-Man movie.

• Like 1

I never heard Marvel didn't like his vision. I remember some Marvel VP or something even saying after Wright left that he was a fan and that's why he kept Wright's participation alive even after Ant-Man was in Development Hell since what, shortly after the first Iron Man came out? I think Marvel just assumed he'd be cool with making allowances so his story fit in with the larger universe they're building and he's just used to doing his thing with zero interference. We'll never really know how much was changed until his original script "leaks" and you compare the two.

At this point, though, I totally reject the notion Marvel bigfoots filmmakers to the point the can't have any individual voice in the movies their making. Avengers had a lot of Whedonesque touches. Guardians was thoroughly a James Gunn film. I can't imagine Wright's Ant-Man would've been so sanitized as to make the fact he directed it unrecognizable.

Well, that's up for debate. But it's also beside the point. Regardless of how if turned out, forcing your stooge writer with no major credits on one of the most successful Hollywood screenwriters of all time is the epitome of bigfooting.

It would help if Shane Black weren't ridiculously self-indulgent.  The Star Wars movies where Lucas himself did most of the writing always had the worst dialogue.

Sometimes you need the help of someone who will reel you in.

Well, that's up for debate. But it's also beside the point. Regardless of how if turned out, forcing your stooge writer with no major credits on one of the most successful Hollywood screenwriters of all time is the epitome of bigfooting.

Without Nicole Perlman, we may never have gotten the Guardians of the Galaxy movie we did.  It was her script that got Disney on board and convinced to do the project for Phase 2 ahead of more notable characters like Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc.

Just saying, she was someone who started in the Marvel writing program and chose to do write a Guardians of the Galaxy script with no guarantee of it ever getting made.

Without Nicole Perlman, we may never have gotten the Guardians of the Galaxy movie we did. It was her script that got Disney on board and convinced to do the project for Phase 2 ahead of more notable characters like Black Panther, Doctor Strange, etc.

Just saying, she was someone who started in the Marvel writing program and chose to do write a Guardians of the Galaxy script with no guarantee of it ever getting made.

Tell me more about this story, please. This is the first I'm hearing of it.

Back in the early days of the MCU, Marvel hired a bunch of unknown writers to churn out spec scripts based on various properties. Perlman wrote the 1st draft of GOTG as part of that program and therefore earned a co-writing credit, much to the chagrin of James Gunn, who doesn't think she deserves it.

It came out two weeks ago*! I've already watched it twice. The bloopers are funny (they made a Rocket and Groot blooper). The Avengers sneak peek is very short and uninformative.

* In England.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this goes here.   Guess who said this quote:

“The industry – and the advent of all the technology – has kind of lost its way. It’s become very franchise-driven and superhero-driven.”

That's right:  

Peter Jackson. On why he won't do a Marvel movie.

I'm sorry ... did something change since the late '70s that only Peter Jackson knows? Maybe NZ has a different definition of what "franchise" means?

Snark is hard, some days ... I'll just go with "dumbass." (Although, the entire "Infinity Gauntlet" storyline as 6-film epic does make me tingle ...)

The movies do well, but Captain Britain is less well known over here than (pre-movies) Captain America is. And even if everyone in Britain did buy a ticket, that's still the equivalent of making a movie that's going to huge in Ohio and mean nothing to the other 49 states, in population terms.