DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase II Discussion

RIPPA

In order for the NAACP not to boycott that shit into oblivion, someone black would either have to develop it or give it their blessing by producing it.  Probably Kevin Hart or Ice Cube.

Tyler Perry wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole.

• Like 1

Good grief that picture of Nekra is ridiculous.  How am I supposed to take seriously an anorexic woman who glued two rugby balls on her chest?  She makes a Barbie doll look normal.

Nekra is a mutant with an ability similar to the Hulk's adrenaline surge.

Whenever she is in an agitated emotional state, she gains superhuman strength and is resistant to physical harm.

190010-13976-nekra.jpg

She's also an empath vampire. She can feed off of the fear or anger in others and gain superhuman strength, so I suppose you'll be able to take her seriously during the obligatory scene where she snaps someone's neck like a twig.

What about Fred Durst?

*ducks*

Fred Durst is a black man so I don't see the problem.  I think we took him in last year's Racial Draft.  I think we gave JC Watts and Allen West to the White contingent and picked up MC Jin from the Asians.

• Like 1

Once I clicked on a link that said it was '44 celebrities you didn't know were black'. It should have been titled '40 mixed-race people you didn't know were celebrities, plus Vin Diesel, Mariah Carey, Pete Wentz and the British lad off Prison Break'. Does American society not accept that mixed race is a category that exists or something?

Once I clicked on a link that said it was '44 celebrities you didn't know were black'. It should have been titled '40 mixed-race people you didn't know were celebrities, plus Vin Diesel, Mariah Carey, Pete Wentz and the British lad off Prison Break'. Does American society not accept that mixed race is a category that exists or something?

Not when there's clicks to be had!

• Like 2

Don't you tell me what to do!

I know they popped up in the first trailer, but it dawned on me watching this that the Ballet sequences are likely flashbacks to Natasha's origin.

I wonder if Ultron pulls a "Man Who Has Everything" on them, tempting them with what he thinks would make them happiest.

• Like 1

Good grief that picture of Nekra is ridiculous.  How am I supposed to take seriously an anorexic woman who glued two rugby balls on her chest?  She makes a Barbie doll look normal.

Nekra is a mutant with an ability similar to the Hulk's adrenaline surge.

Whenever she is in an agitated emotional state, she gains superhuman strength and is resistant to physical harm.

190010-13976-nekra.jpg

She's also an empath vampire. She can feed off of the fear or anger in others and gain superhuman strength, so I suppose you'll be able to take her seriously during the obligatory scene where she snaps someone's neck like a twig.

Remember when Grim Reaper became a racist out of nowhere and Nekra was like "But I'm black" and Reaper was all "and it tears me up inside."

Remember when Grim Reaper became a racist out of nowhere and Nekra was like "But I'm black" and Reaper was all "and it tears me up inside."

Actually (if you're thinking of that Man-Ape/Black Talon tirade he had in the early Englehart WCA run like I think you are...), wasn't his response to her pointing out her ethnicity something more along the lines of the awesomely-offensive "no, you're the purest white I've ever known"? :)

Yeah, "purest white I've ever known" was the line.  Awesomely patronizing.

Here's the panels in question, for anyone interested (spoilered due to size):

WCAII2_GRMA.jpg

WCAII2_GRMA2.jpg

The panels right after that are kinda offensive too, in an ironic way.  Man Ape goes to find the rest of the his group and ends up complaining about Grim Reaper's racist treatment to Black Talon.  I'm sure the scene played well in Steve Englehart's head when he wrote it, but, in retrospect, the guy wearing the gorilla pelt and the voodoo priest who dresses like a giant rooster are probably not the right characters to use to make a point about racism

WCAII2_MABT.jpg

I don't think the racism angle was ever followed up on by later writers, was it?

Edit: Rereading the panels.  Black Talon's response to Man Ape's tirade - "let him try to get along without my zombie!" - cracks me up.

Actually (if you're thinking of that Man-Ape/Black Talon tirade he had in the early Englehart WCA run like I think you are...), wasn't his response to her pointing out her ethnicity something more along the lines of the awesomely-offensive "no, you're the purest white I've ever known"? :)

yeah I just thought mine was funnier.