DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase I Discussion

RIPPA

• 8 months later...

So I'm finally going back and watching all the films in order to try to be able to dork out with everyone at work once Infinity War comes out, as I haven't seen/fell asleep midway through/hardly remember practically all of them.

Watching the first Captain America really helps explain like 90% of the stuff I was confused with while watching bits and pieces of all the phase 2 films.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So I've been revisiting Phase One. In the middle of Thor right now, and it's kinda amazing me that this became so wildly successful despite having Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor, three fairly to severely weak movies right in a row.

I mean, Iron Man was beloved and fantastic. And then the first Cap was divisive. Iron Man and Iron Man 2 both did great box office, Hulk was barely above a flop and Thor and Cap both did solid but not great. Looking back, it's kinda staggering just how big Avengers ended up being off that setup.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

So I've been revisiting Phase One. In the middle of Thor right now, and it's kinda amazing me that this became so wildly successful despite having Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and Thor, three fairly to severely weak movies right in a row.

I mean, Iron Man was beloved and fantastic. And then the first Cap was divisive. Iron Man and Iron Man 2 both did great box office, Hulk was barely above a flop and Thor and Cap both did solid but not great. Looking back, it's kinda staggering just how big Avengers ended up being off that setup.

I liked Captain America: The First Avenger when it came out but in the years since, I've come to appreciate it a lot more. As you note, Avengers Assemble did a great job bringing the big four into one movie.

I have a soft spot for Marvel Phase One as it's where the MCU began, Avengers Assemble is still the best film from it and Iron Man remains in my top five. That's even with Marvel Phase One producing the two worst films, The Incredible Hulk is 19/19 and Iron Man 2 one place above.

My Marvel Phase One rankings:

6. The Incredible Hulk (2008).

5. Iron Man 2 (2010).

4. Thor (2011).

3. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011).

2. Iron Man (2008).

1. Avengers Assemble (2012).

• 4 months later...

I remember thinking Captain America was a very strong origin story despite the fact that it was this throwback, period Indiana Jones adventure story. But the period setting actually allowed it to be different, and you actually had a great romance between Steve and Peggy. And clearly people latched onto Hayley Atwell's Peggy and that relationship since it was carried across multiple films, and they brought Atwell back for multiple films. I even thought Hugo Weaving was fairly good as Red Skull. Too be bad he had to be a douchebag about the character and trash it later. 

Hulk didn't do great business but I recall they controlled the narrative enough to act like it wasn't a bomb, and people were still excited about the idea of a possible shared film universe which was on the table at the time. Plus, Edward Norton's behavior totally hurt that film and his refusing to promote it. 

Thor I think is pretty average, but what it did do is actually figure out, "Hey this Tom Hiddleston dude can act and makes a good Loki." It also proved that Thor can be a viable character at the box office. It may seem like a drop in the bucket now, but Thor doing basically $450 million worldwide was pretty good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...