DVDVR Message Board

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase I Discussion

RIPPA

• 8 months later...

So given they came out inside a month of each other I actually preferred Incredible Hulk to Iron Man for about a year. I was super burned out on origins and enjoyed them skipping that bit while also being glad to get a super fun Hulk/Abomination fight. Once we got more movies that hit the ground running the flaws started setting in.

Origin stories are boring.  The advantage comic book movies should have is that the better stories are the ones that come after the origin.  The origin often becomes an obligatory almost mandatory story you just want to get over with.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As Captain America: Civil War (2016) is released in the UK this Friday, I thought I’d revisit the first two films in the trilogy. Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) goes here as it was in Marvel Phase One.

The best things about Captain America: The First Avenger are all the performances particularly Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell, Sebastian Stan, Stanley Tucci, the period setting in World War II, the origin showing how Steve Rogers becomes Captain America and the ending. The time period and the ending are unique to comic book films as Captain America sacrifices himself crashing the plane to save lives…to wake up seventy years later after getting frozen finding out things have changed. Opinion on this film is that you really like it or you really don’t. I do, always have. My appreciation for it has grown. A top five MCU film.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I re-watched the first Iron Man over the weekend. I still love that movie and it's still in the Top 5 of Marvel films for me, personally. Maybe it's because it was the first and was before they knew everything was going to tie together, so things didn't seem so shoehorned. Or it was the first so what became the typical Marvel villain wasn't as bad here because it was the first. Or maybe it's just how great Robert Downey is as Tony Stark and this was his re-breakthrough to catapult him back to superstardom in Hollywood. Whatever it is, I just greatly enjoy this film.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 06 February 2017 at 7:28 PM, MonteCarl said:

I re-watched the first Iron Man over the weekend. I still love that movie and it's still in the Top 5 of Marvel films for me, personally. Maybe it's because it was the first and was before they knew everything was going to tie together, so things didn't seem so shoehorned. Or it was the first so what became the typical Marvel villain wasn't as bad here because it was the first. Or maybe it's just how great Robert Downey is as Tony Stark and this was his re-breakthrough to catapult him back to superstardom in Hollywood. Whatever it is, I just greatly enjoy this film.

Meant to reply to this a while ago. I'm with you still loving Iron Man and it's also in my top five film from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Best Iron Man solo film by far. The sequels and Avengers: Age of Ultron left me the most disappointed.

avengers-assemble-group-poster-1.jpg

A little film called Avengers Assemble (The Avengers in the USA) came out in the UK five years ago, April 2012. Five years on, it’s still the best Marvel Cinematic Universe film and one of the best comic book films ever.

The performances, the interactions between the characters, the humour and the action, Avengers Assemble succeeded and then some. Hulk ragdolling Loki is  the most I’ve laughed in a cinema.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...