DVDVR Message Board

"The Director We Deserve..." - The Christopher Nolan Thread

Chaos

Also Captain America: The Winter Soldier isn't a brave political film either.  It has some fun stuff in that it kind of makes it like the government is HYDRA and that our whole digital footprint gives HYDRA the means to take over the world and all that, but it's not meant to be a brave political film.  Just uses those familiar elements to make it seem more 

I don't like Munich, but I think you could argue that is more of a braver film politically for Spielberg.

I forgot about certain actors who were cast in INSTERSTELLAR, so they surprised me when they showed up. Not sure if it would be a spoiler to mention the big name unbilled star, but I think I was equally as shocked by TOPHER GRACE turning up. He's right there with Anton Yelchin in that group of young guys who were looking like they were about to be stars, like, 8 years ago, and then went nowhere. And you can tell he was fucking THRILLED to be in this movie. He is 10000% committed to his nothing role.

You can see him thinking, "Well, just in cast he ever makes THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, I better play the hell out of giving this kid a checkup..."

The only reason I knew he was in the movie was because he briefly talked about it in on Nerdist, when he was pimping his cereal prize website.

Unless he lands some sort of major TV series, I see Topher Grace just becoming a random supporting character actor in films going forward for the rest of his career.  Which isn't so bad, you can get a lot of work that way.  Better than Brandon Routh's current sitch.

Something else: The scene where they explain to Cooper how Wormholes work (even though as an Astronaut who's on a mission to fly through a Wormhole, you'd think he'd know already) is basically a word for word lift from Event Horizon. But like I said, this movie is made of other movies, mostly better movies.

One review said the space scenes were better than the ones in Gravity. They weren't. And as for the science, I can buy that the astrophysics might have been fairly dead on (what with the original script being written by an Astrophysicist and that), but it seems that the blight that kills crops and breathes Hydrogen does what it does because the script wants it to, and bugger science.

If we assume that the last fifteen minutes were a dream sequence thing, it's a better film. Or if you just leave fifteen minutes before it ends, it's a better film. Can't wait for the sequel though~.

Loved this movie.  Saw it in the EXTREME theater with the sound cranked up.  The soundtrack for this is the biggest star in the movie, just an immense all-consuming BEAST.  So many great actors.  I mean, I can't say enough about how good McConaughey is, but throw in Ellen Burstyn, Topher Grace, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine, Casey MF'in Affleck, Jessica MF'in Chastain...so good.  My only minor quibble is that they don't really give you a break from the action.  I got up from one major crisis with overwhelming music to run to the bathroom, rushed, and got back just in time for another major crisis. 

But, goddamn, what a fun, visually stunning, absolutely engrossingly overwhelming movie it is.

I thought this had a better sound mix than his last 2 or 3 movies. There were maybe 2 or 3 moments when I couldn't understand something, but overall it was markedly better than INCEPTION and TDKR. I imagine you mileage might vary wildly depending on the quality of your theater's audio setup, though.

I thought the sound mixing was the strongest part of this film all in all. It may win the Academy Award for sound mixing. I really did not like the final act.of this movie. It makes the rest of the film unravel as well. It's a gorgeous film, and there are moments where you audibly gasp at what's on the screen, but the Nolans get in their own way with this one.

It seemed like they really wanted to play the hard science card, until they didn't. Y'know, there's no sound in a vacuum so you hear silence when they're in space... until they want a really impressive space explosion, and then it goes bang and you can hear it. Time warps in, or even near, a Black hole so you can affect the past while you're in one, but when you get out (because you can do that in science) time will have passed since you went into it.

Fucker wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Didn't actual astrophysicists work closely on this film? I read an article from one who praised the film for its accuracy. Same guy who blasted Gravity for its inaccuracies. However, I didn't read much on this board about the BS in Gravity which leads me to believe that these posts are out of blind hate for the Nolans more so than what should or shouldn't have occurred on screen.

Gravity got love because it was pretty. When you take away the Imax, the movie wasn't good.

No one watched it without the Imax.

I watched it sans imax and it remains a great film. I'm not going to bitch Nolan, or any director, out for not properly presenting physics, astrophysics, history, or some other real life element. It's a movie, it doesn't need to be real, just consistent within it's own created universe. Back to Gravity though, not only did it look amazing, but it was terrifically filmed, and I felt the meta narrative was well done.

Yeah, Gravity was an amazing experience. It's all visceral feeling in film form.

This was clearly way more intellectual than Gravity. I just thought the big metaphysical explanation/salvation at the end was the weakest element of the whole movie.

• Like 1

Gravity got love because it was pretty. When you take away the Imax, the movie wasn't good.

No one watched it without the Imax.

Everyone I know who watched Gravity in Imax absolutely loved it, but almost everyone I know who watched it on Blu-Ray has hated it.  It is a movie that works incredibly well in the Imax format, but doesn't hold up if you watch it in any other way.  I've only watched it in Imax.  When I left the theater I knew what I watched was one of the best movie experiences of my life, and unless they rerelease it in theaters I'd most likely never watch it again. 

Interstellar was not a perfect movie, it was goofy in parts, too sciency for its own good for a good bit, and the climax made next to no sense to me, but I have to tell you it was a great theater experience.  I don't think that it is going to hold up if you try to use logic and/or science to explain everything, but as far as a movie that was interesting throughout and kept me entertained I have to say I really liked it.  Nolan has his flaws as a director, but everything he has ever done has been full of interesting ideas and are impossible to look away from.  They aren't all great movies, but they are all movies I'd watch again, that I've talked about with friends, and spent the next couple of days thinking about.  I've watched just about every best picture nominee over the last 5-10 years, and I can't remember half of them.  I remember all of Nolan's movies, even that piece of crap Insomnia. 

I'm a fan of human imperfection.  The most beautiful woman I know has one crooked tooth, some of my favorite songs have missed notes, and I'd much rather watch a movie that is flawed but interesting than a movie that is technically good, but ultimately forgettable.  Nolan makes interesting movies, and I'd much rather watch his flaws than other people's perfection.

I loved nearly every minute of it. Every fucking bit of Interstellar I loved. For some of you, until you've had a child, particularly a daughter, I don't think you'll quite understand the lengths you will go through and what your love for that human being you helped create really mean. My daughter is 4 now and I still don't understand some of those feelings or why they're so strong or why the compel me to do the things I do. Shit, I'm getting all weepy eyed again, but...

When Ellen Burstyn is revealed as Murph, you realize that she wasn't just someone famous spliced in with the footage from Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl, she was talking about her dad. And you think back to how she felt about her dad throughout that movie until he spoke to her through time and space, helping to save humanity while giving them the chance to reconnect, holy shit, I don't care if it makes sense or not, it spoke volumes to me.

And now I need to take a break again from thinking about Interstellar. I loved it and it made total sense to me.

• Like 1

Strange, the idea that the first woman speaking in the documentary was anyone other than his daughter never crossed my mind, probably because they transitioned straight from her statement to his crash with her providing the segue.