DVDVR Message Board

Sunset Overdrive

Big Fresh

This game just made a Gymkata joke.

You're making me want to buy a console for just ONE game now.

As I said, I know I'm kinda becoming the "Defend Sunset Overdrive" guy, but it really is a lot of fun. No kidding. Even more than I expected. If Borderlands or Saint's Row makes you laugh, this will too. And the gameplay is great too.

As I said, I know I'm kinda becoming the "Defend Sunset Overdrive" guy, but it really is a lot of fun. No kidding. Even more than I expected. If Borderlands or Saint's Row makes you laugh, this will too. And the gameplay is great too.

It's sad that games like Sunset Overdrive are the exception rather than the rule on the Xbox One.

Instead, Microsoft's focus is paying millions of dollars for a NFL deal and paying for possibly timed exclusives (like Rise of the Tomb Raider) instead of fostering an environment where games like Sunset Overdrive can grow.

If Microsoft can let developers like Rare or others in their first party do their own thing like they did with Insomniac, it will definitely help.

I think the last few months they've started to get back on track. Like starting to seell the console without Kinect and offering better games for free with Gold.

They took an ass-whooping when they first announced X-Box One and needed to be humbled after the great success of 360. Just like Sony did when they tried to see PS3 for $600 after the PS2 dominated the market.

You're 100% right about Rare though. Unchain those guys.

Sony should have just not made such an expensive to make console with the PS3.  Even though the models were $499 and $599 they took a tremendous loss on each system.  They should have just gone the MS route and taken out all the included in the system things and then charged an arm and a leg for them as accessories. 

• 3 weeks later...

So this was your last comment on the game and it was over two weeks ago... I'm guessing the replay value of this game is not very high.

It's just weird to me how the game has been very positively reviewed but for a while I haven't heard anyone say a peep about it anymore, on this board or otherwise. I wonder if it's one of those games that seems really fun but you get tired of it quickly.

It's just weird to me how the game has been very positively reviewed but for a while I haven't heard anyone say a peep about it anymore, on this board or otherwise. I wonder if it's one of those games that seems really fun but you get tired of it quickly.

I think that's more of a product of the busy Christmas season full of IP's we're already familiar with. I wish they had released this in the spring, like Evolve is smartly doing.

• Like 1

It's just amazing to me that a game I despised is considered great by someone else. I don't mean that as an attack on you Fresh, but again I just find it funny how different opinions can be.

Did you play it? I also don't mean this as an attack, but going by critical reception, you seem to be the outlier.

Glad that PC is a possibility. Plus that will give it some time as well for more info about the game to come out. Everyone was all hype for Titanfall and I was looking forward to it on PC but by then word was out that the game was only fun for a little while and was actually pretty shallow.

I got the SO bundle...I played it for a while and after about two hours it just kinda felt like "so this is going to be the entire game huh?" Just grinding on rails and shooting monsters. Maybe I'm missing something but it didn't look that interesting when I was going in and my opinion wasn't really changed.

I got the SO bundle...I played it for a while and after about two hours it just kinda felt like "so this is going to be the entire game huh?" Just grinding on rails and shooting monsters. Maybe I'm missing something but it didn't look that interesting when I was going in and my opinion wasn't really changed.

Well, the RPG elements start to unlock many more abilities, but yeah, grinding, jumping, and shooting is most of the game. And the humor. I dig it a lot.

• 1 year later...

Been playing this a lot the last few days, and maybe I'm just immature but I find myself enjoying the humor.  

I mean I know it's a mindless shooter mixed with Tony Hawk but it's gorgeous and you can't go wrong with blowing baddies up with Teddy Bears & fireworks.

I haven't gone back to it since my initial try.

I actual think it was just a mindless shooter part I would have enjoyed it more.

It's the Tony Hawk/Jet Set Radio stuff that I am not a fan of

I think I may have spoken too soon.

Once you get to the LARP faction stuff, the fun Tony Hawk gameplay evolves into "holy shit you have to be amazingly precise at traversing the world or you're going to be replaying missions half a dozen times each" type of stuff.

The drugged up mission where the entire ground turns into lava just about made me quit playing all together just now.

I finished this game and I'm an old man what sucks at video games. Died a bunch at some of the boss fights, but kept plugging.

The humor is stupid, but it's all mindless fun. Dunno why more people aren't raving about how fun and different the game is from the usual RPGs and first-person shooters. Oh well.

I was surprised when I looked this morning that I'm about 3/4th of the way through the game without feeling like I've done much of anything,  

Granted, I've just been blowing through story missions without doing ANY side stuff but my upgrades have kind of hit this sweet-spot where I have enough melee abilities while I'm traversing that I basically can just do that.  I'll give the game credit that I never even think of fast traveling because it's still pretty fun moving around the world.  Thank God you can't be hurt by friendly fire, because shooting exploding teddy bears at my feet and watching everything blow up around me has been my go-to get out of trouble move for awhile now