DVDVR Message Board

Sunset Overdrive

Big Fresh

I'm pleased with the review scores and the game does indeed look like a ton of fun. It looks like it fulfills a lot of promises made during the PS2 era (!). It gets 'it' -- it's a fun and full of actual gaming-ness, not QTE's or 'cinematic' or anything like that. Like Dead Rising and Crackdown, it does seem like a "OMG I have to have a Xbox" type of game.

But I won't buy another Microsoft console after the Xbox 360 and seriously call Polygon into question as being credible -- Bayonetta 2 was given a 10 everywhere else but Polygon gave it a 7.5 and this they give it a 9? From the same reviewer Arthur Gies? It seems too fishy to me.

I wish there would be a PS4 version, but that's fine if there isn't. I knew that the game would be excellent, but this is a surprise.

Arthur Gies liked this game better than Bayonetta. Why is that "fishy"?

Gamergate!!!!!!

Because from reading both reviews, it seems like he went into those games with preconceived notions about the game rather than what the game actually is.

Granted, Sunset Overdrive has the fortunate advantage of being a great game and maybe better than Bayonetta 2.

There seems to be no negatives from Gies on Sunset Overdrive than there was on Bayonetta 2 (Gies' final line in his Bayonetta 2 was a "FU" to anyone who has a functional brain). I'm just glad that in this there are other sites that think Sunset Overdrive is great. 

If you're so invested in a game, why does it matter WHAT the reviews say?  You're going to buy it no matter what.

I was invested in Destiny, so bad reviews from people I trust and told it wasn't my style of game and stayed away. It does happen.

As for this game, it may be fun, but also firmly in the "not for me" style.

For what it's worth (and yes, I know this is pretty much making defending Sunset Overdrive into my new gimmick), all the reviews I've seen said the game is hilarious. And the trailers usually aren't actually put together by the developers. So I doubt they were indicitive of the humor in the actual game. But I'll know for sure after I pikc it up tomorrow.

From the Kotaku review

qvlxag4tacvf2hdjfrbn.png

Just for an example of a overall positive review not being happy with the humor (amongst other things)

You and I fought after E3 because I said I had zero interest in the game because I wanted to bunch the douche lead character in the face. The reviews and gameplay videos I have watched have done nothing to change that.

Yes - that could be just me - but it does appear (even from folks in this thread) that the stylistic choices are turning people off

Somewhat related, I had issues playing the newest Infamous because I thought the protagonist was a giant douchebag.  People have to be able to like the main character in some way (either because they are a badass, looking for revenge, funny, sympathetic, etc.), if you don't like the character you are controlling it makes the game a lot less fun.  I haven't read up much about Sunset Overdrive since I don't have an Xbox One yet, but if that is people's argument then I understand it.

it's really unfortunate because the game looks a lot like Jet Set Radio, which I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay into. But everything about how it looks and sounds guarantees I'm never going to go anywhere near it, since "mute a game completely" isn't a step I'm willing to consider and that still doesn't fix the overall Sonic "kewl tude" mannerisms.

If you're so invested in a game, why does it matter WHAT the reviews say?  You're going to buy it no matter what.

Well, for me, I won't get it because I'm more committed to PlayStation this go around and I want to have Platinum trophies. It doesn't mean "I'm better than you," it's just my personal preference.

But if Insomniac announced that "Oh btw we're porting Sunset Overdrive to the PS4," I would be there to get it. I don't really think they should.

From the Kotaku review

qvlxag4tacvf2hdjfrbn.png

Just for an example of a overall positive review not being happy with the humor (amongst other things)

You and I fought after E3 because I said I had zero interest in the game because I wanted to bunch the douche lead character in the face. The reviews and gameplay videos I have watched have done nothing to change that.

Yes - that could be just me - but it does appear (even from folks in this thread) that the stylistic choices are turning people off

"Weaving in and out of this self-expression is also one of most consistently funny scripts in recent memory." - IGN

"Insomniac has created something fiercely bright and alive and, more often than not, pretty funny." - Polygon

"The humor is entertaining, but the unconventional concoction of gameplay is the heart of Sunset Overdrive." - GameInformer

Again, this "lead character" seems to be for the trailers and box art, I haven't once seen him in gameplay (I don't think he's there). You create your protagonist.

For people who don't like shooters or a parkour-based gameplay, I get it. This game isn't for you. But Rippa, J.T., Dragon, myself, and others have loved the horde-mode in ME3 for years. This has that. BL claims to love the gameplay of Jet Set Radio. This has that. I don't get completely avoiding what all evidence claims to be an amazing experience because of a few style choices from the trailers (which often aren't indicative of the game, but were admittedly weak sometimes). Substance over style, brothers! Most of you don't have an X-Bone, but if you do, my only point is you oughtta download the demo.

Besides, this is Insomniac. Does anyone not think Ratchet & Clank is genuinely funny??

I'm just excited because this is the first game on the current gen I feel like I can really sink my teeth into. Destiny let me down. Titanfall and Plants vs. Zombies were fun for a few days, but not lasting.

• Like 1

If you're so invested in a game, why does it matter WHAT the reviews say? You're going to buy it no matter what.

Well, for me, I won't get it because I'm more committed to PlayStation this go around and I want to have Platinum trophies. It doesn't mean "I'm better than you," it's just my personal preference.

But if Insomniac announced that "Oh btw we're porting Sunset Overdrive to the PS4," I would be there to get it. I don't really think they should.

They won't because Sony wanted to own the IP. That's why it's on X-Bone.

A couple hours in and I'm very happy.

1. Graphically, this game is gorgeous.

2.This game is hard. Grinding and bounding around is not merely a suggestion. If you don't do it, you will die. Bad.

3. Getting used to shooting while grinding is not easy, but I'm getting the hang of it.

4. The character customization, as seen above, is fun.

5. There is some legit funny shit in here where your character tries to get out of doing quests for people. Example: a woman will only help you if you retrieve her lost dog. Your character walks away and immediately tried to tell her "Bad news, you dog is dead. Next mission." And she says, "Fuck you, I know you're lying, go get her."

6. The RPG system is much deeper than I expected. It's gonna take me a long time to unlock everything.

7. Played one round of multiplayer just to dip my toe in the water, but I really don't understand what's going on yet there. It's kinda funky, but could be cool once I'm clear on what's happening.

This is great. So refreshing to play an original IP in thia era of all sequels and remakes. Plus one that plays like nothing I've ever played before (at least since the days of Jet Set Radio).