DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Someone I followed on Twitter revealed:

Projected starting lineups for Pacers/76ers:

PHI: Shved, Wroten, Thompson, Noel, Sims

IND: Sloan, Miles, Copeland, Scola, Hibbert

Dear lord...

The NBA, its FANTASTIC.   and they expect people to pay full price for that shit too.   .

Dear lord...

The NBA, its FANTASTIC.   and they expect people to pay full price for that shit too.   .

I would be kind of curious to go to this game tonight (if it's in Philly) but Game 7 AND Hawks/Raptors.

Dear lord...

Jesus, the over/under on this may be >100. 

The real question is how many Western Conference teams make the playoffs if they played in the East.

Last year it was 10, this year it might be 12.

I think 11 appear to be safe bets. San Antonio, OKC, LAC, Portland, GS, Memphis, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Denver, New Orleans. Might be easier to ask which teams in the East would be safe bets for a playoff spot if they were in the West? Chicago hasn't done well the last 2 seasons against the West but with Rose healthy they should. Cleveland as well. That might be it for safe bets. Only 4 had winning records against the West last year. Miami 20-10, Brooklyn 18-12, Indiana 18-12, Toronto 16-14. Only one of those teams is trending upwards. I think 3 of them would be fighting for the 7th or 8th seed.

It has to hurt conference balance in someway that 1-3 talented Western Conference teams end up with lottery picks every year. Tough to get things even.

That was a big thing with me last season.  Phoenix just misses the playoffs and gets a lottery pick in addition to the other two first round picks they had in the draft.

Meanwhile a sub-40 win makes the playoffs in the East and picks lower.

This is why Tankadelphia makes sense; especially in the East.

I watched all of the Pelicans/Magic yesterday (and the Royals game).

Anthony Davis is insanely good. I know that's obvious. But it's ridiculous. He just flies all over the court. Don't sleep on Ryan Anderson, either. He's one of the most underrated guys in the league. One of the best Stretch 4's in the game.

What's really interesting about AD's stat line -- they didn't run a ton of plays for him. Or, more accurately, the ballhog guards they have looked him off a bunch so they could take HORSE shots in the mid-range game. A lot of AD's points came on him getting boards and the like.

I wish that team had a real point guard.

Also, we'll all have crushes on Elfrid Payton by the end of the year. He's really intense AND THAT HAIRCUT!

Yeah, I don't like the makeup of the Pelicans team. Jrue has all the tools to be a fantastic P&R point to play with Davis but Gordon and Evans are intent on chucking a shit tonne of bad shots and both have horrible contracts. Quality off the bench drops off dramatically after Ryan Anderson. Rivers is another guy intent on getting his own to the detriment of his team and they have Jimmer freaking Fredette and Salmons as guys getting big minutes in their rotation. If they make the playoffs, Davis should be top 3 for MVP votes.

And, yeah, I'm a heterosexual male but Elfrid Payton is a dreamboat and can distribute. Him and Oladipo running the court on fast breaks will be fun to watch for a few years.

Parsons will find his groove. Dallas is much better. No struggling to make the playoffs this year. San Antonio played well, despite the defensive lapses, without Leonard.

If you watch the replay and focus on Randle's right leg, you can see it break. Not as gruesome as some of the open fractures in sports/Psycho Sid history, but it was obvious. The announcers were talking about how he tore his Achilles, and I'm like "did we watch the same replay?"

The point made by Reggie Miler's way true: Kobe's Michael Jackson and the rest of the team are like Tito, Jermaine and Marlon. No one could make the most obvious shots. They had one good run with Lin and Carlos Boozer while the Rockets got cold and the announers were freaking out. I was thinking "this can't last," and it didn't.

I was thinking the same thing since the announcers first wondered if he twisted his ankle and then they talked about the achilles and I kept thinking, "isn't the achilles way lower on our legs", but I'm no doctor and come from the Beavis & Butthead school of anatomy. That was still pretty awful. The one bright spot we would have had OR the one sore point we would have if Byron had stuck with the Boozer/Hill starting frontline is gone for the season. I wasn't expecting much out of this team to begin with other than maybe seeing Randle develop and Kobe's comeback. Now we're down to just one. 

I like Ariza on the Rockets though. They have a bit more defense out there with him and Beverly to go with Dwight. They seem a bit thin up front beyond Dwight though.

I always find it funny when we talk about a basketball player adding weight or being fat. I'm imaging Chandler Parsons looking like Hot Plate Williams and eating a box of Krispy Kreme donuts like there's no tomorrow.

via KCJohnson's twitter

Rose: "First couple quarters I can get everybody involved. The 4th quarter is my time."

So now at the start of every fourth quarter I'm playing this:

• Like 2

Watching Bucks/Hornets.  When did Jason Maxiell get fat?  He's getting a little Fortsonian.

Bucks look better than I expected.  They're moving the ball and shooting well.  Defense is looking better, too, particularly in the paint.

I'm so happy to see the Hornets are back. I always had a soft spot for them since I was a little kid. I'm equally happy to see Kemba still doing it like he did at UConn, tonight's game winner seemed like a pretty good replica of the shot he used to beat Pitt.

The 4th is indeed Rose's Time.

Time to sit on the bench and catch some Zs. 

Taj Gibson and Pau Gasol leading the team in points. And Dirty Doug piling on in garbage time. DIG IT YEAH YEAH YEAH.

• Like 1