DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Portland is a 2nd round out at best.  If the playoffs started today they would be huge underdogs to even make it out of the first round.

I'm rooting for them tonight though, because i'm already sick of the Hawks bandwagon.

I still don't get Spo's lineups. He's still giving Norris Cole significant minutes even though that PG experiment keeps failing him this year and last.  He has Whiteside on the bench while the Heat's lead against the Mavs evaporates due to some type of minutes restriction on him.

Meanwhile, Dallas went on a 45 to 6 run in the second half.  You heard me.  45 to 6.  The hell?

Edited by _MJ_

Got my Nets invoice for next season and not only will price stay the same, if I renew before April my first round playoff tickets are free (hey, why are all of you guys laughing? Oh...). I'm eagerly awaiting my Sixers playoff invoice as well after the big win tonight, just have to go on a 20 game winning streak. And in bigger news, the team apparently plans on bringing back the legendary BIG SHOT~!~!~! as mascot (I kinda miss Hip Hop because he gave small children nightmares, but that's just me).

• Like 1

I just want to thank the coaches who feel I wasn't good enough, the fans that didn't think I was good enough , and Adam Silver also for not thinking I was good enough. This isn't unfamiliar territory for me , it's actually what my life has been inspired by. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed or that I don't feel disrespected but it's not too much to handle. Not the first or last guy to be snubbed. "You should have been there" isn't good enough for me. But anyway, The reason I'm in these shoes is because I've always use the hand I was dealt to my advantage... A wise man once told me... " it ain't always gone be peaches and cream but somebody has to pay for the reason it's not ... One way or another " ... #ImThankful #Real #NonAllStar #RipCity #YellowTape

Dame mad guys. Dame real mad.

• Like 1

The Vine of Dion Waters's fast break is awesome.

Is it awesome because Dion is good in space (not sarcasm) or is it awesome because Dion had a 3 on 1 with Durant and Westbrook either side of him but decided to take it in himself? Honestly, both of those things are on the table.

The Vine of Dion Waters's fast break is awesome.

Is it awesome because Dion is good in space (not sarcasm) or is it awesome because Dion had a 3 on 1 with Durant and Westbrook either side of him but decided to take it in himself? Honestly, both of those things are on the table.

It's awesome because Dion bricks a layup without anyone 50 feet around him.

This Wiggins/Love trade will look worse and worse as time goes on.

Lebron wouldn't have signed without the trade for Love in place. The trade was effectively Anthony Bennett and Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love and Lebron James, which every team in the league would make ten times out of ten.

• Like 1

Let's see what the Cavs do this year before making a final verdict on that trade. They've been really hot since LeBron rested/they remade the roster. I wouldn't be shocked to see them end up as a two seed -- they're 4.5 back behind Toronto. And as much as I like the Raptors and Wizards, they also don't have LeBron.

Wiggins looks really good and everything but he's on a team that has eight wins and counting. The Cavs are in the middle of a 10-game winning streak.

I understand why they did the Love trade. It weird for me to sort of defend Love here since I was never on board with the love(sorry) he use to get in the past, especially on this board no less.  However, I will say he was a proven all-star talent and they probably weren't sure how quickly Wiggins would develop with them.   Lebron is not getting any younger.  It's win now, or at least as quickly as possible.  Wiggins will probably turn out very good and what not, but I'm sure he wouldn't have had the same type of  freedom and no stress development under a Kyrie/Lebron lead team where everything is under a microscope.  The Wolves have won 4 games in the last two months, and it's a big: so what?  Not the same circumstances in Cleveland. 

You add in the "Lebron wanted to play with Kevin Love" rumors and there you go.  Of course, many are going to say the Wiggins trade was a bad move if Wiggins keep developing to a high level, but I get why the Cavs made the move.  I would do it too.

It's funny people rarely bring up the Anthony Bennett part of the trade now and he was also a talking point when the deal first when down.   Hindsight.

Now if you want to argue they should have waited to make a run at Kevin Love doing free agency and kept Wiggins to have them both(not sure if the salary stuff works out there) next season, then I much more inclined to see your point, but that strategy clearly has its risks too.

Went to DC to see Wiz take on Dinosaurs. Game was tremendous with the first quarter being among the best and most fun quarters I've ever seen live. Dinos are for real and the bandwagon showed up in full force in the stands (I'll give them credit as they took over the arena several times). John Wall may be my favorite player to watch at this point because some of the stuff he does is mindblowing. Also they handed out Marcin Gortat action figures which has to be the most amazingly random promotion ever.

• Like 1

I'll say this. I think the Cavs can compete for a title this year. I think they can come out of the East. I don't think they will beat the Western Conference representative. The Love trade might work out for them in the short term and maybe that's all that should matter..  but Wiggins is a special talent. He's going to be all-world on defense and his offensive game is already way ahead of schedule. In my mind, there's no way he doesn't end up being one of the best all-around players in the league for years to come.

We've gone over this before but LeBron is a really crappy GM.

• Like 1

Kevin Love right now is averaging 18 and 10 on 42.7% shooting. Chris Bosh, in his first year here in Miami, got absolutely brutalized by the media and fans and he put up 18.5 and 8 on 49.6% shooting. Unless Love really gets his shit together, Cleveland coming out of the East would have a lot more to do with Lebron and Kyrie balling out of their minds than it would his performance. I think it was a bad trade at the time and I think, with how Love has played and fit in, it's starting to look a little bit worse and worse as time marches on.

• Like 2

I think the mistake there is people griping about Chris Bosh.

In terms of Love's production -- his percentages are way down compared to his career marks.

But if you are to use his career average as a benchmark, he would have 279 FGs this season (he has 266) and and 83 3FGs (he has 76). Over the course of 42 games. If he were to make just half a FG more per game (another 23 FGs) or .one-quarter of a 3FG (another 11 3FGs) then we're talking about a guy's production who is absolutely bonkers. He won't have the counting stats due to the less shot attempts. But he'd be one of the most frighteningly efficient players in the league.

He's also putting up numbers close to what he did last year in terms of percentages at home. He's shooting .457 from the field at home.

In other words, he's really close to being an incredible third banana. I think a lot of his down numbers are due to some random fluke shooting. It's also because LeBron is such a singularly unique talent that figuring out how to play with him takes some time. They also have a new coach trying to figure things out on the fly. And they had absolutely no depth to start the season, which led to a lot of spacing issues.

He's going to be really good once he gets more consistent on a game-to-game basis.

Of course, that's on offense. He's truly woeful on defense.

Yeah he is a 3rd wheel averaging 17 and 10. Plus he has a bad back for a while now which requires playing with a back brace on. His game has changed since now he is shooting far more corner 3s. Half his 3 point attempts are from the corners. They were never higher than 10% in Minnesota. It is a spot he has to get comfortable playing from. I still don't think using him to clear space for James and Irving to drive is the best use of him. He is effective in that role though. Other stretch 4s aren't giving you 10 rebounds a game. I hate even calling him that since his strengths are in the post and catching and shooting off screens. Cleveland's problem when losing wasn't Love. They had injuries which kept putting bench players in the starting lineup. A problem since they had one of the worst benches in the league. Those trades they made corrected this issue. The all star game is 8-9 days so he can rest up his back. He is playing through it because without him in the lineup things will clog up for James and Irving around the basket rather quickly.

His offensive struggles have been on the road and on the second night of back to backs. Not surprising considering his back injury is bad enough to require a brace at all times. So the travel isn't good for him. I don't think he'll ever hit 3s at a high enough percentage to justify all the attempts though. They play the Sixers tonight. Kind of game they should give Love an off day for until he is healed.

• Like 1