DVDVR Message Board

NBA - 2014-15 Regular Season - 1st Half

Dolfan in NYC

Steve Nash, after eating a ration of shit from fans when posting a video of him golfing at a driving range, seems to have written what is basically a retirement statement.

I definitely don't want to be a distraction, but I felt it best everyone heard from me in my own words.

I have a ton of miles on my back. Three buldging disks (a tear in one), stenosis of the nerve route and spondylolisthesis. I suffer from sciatica and after games I often can't sit in the car on the drive home, which has made for some interesting rides. Most nights I'm bothered by severe cramping in both calves while I sleep, a result of the same damn nerve routes, and the list goes on somewhat comically. That's what you deserve for playing over 1,300 NBA games. By no means do I tell you this for sympathy - especially since I see these ailments as badges of honor - but maybe I can bring some clarity. 

I've always been one of the hardest workers in the game and I say that at the risk of what it assumes. The past 2 years I've worked like a dog to not only overcome these setbacks but to find the form that could lift up and inspire the fans in LA as my last chapter. Obviously it's been a disaster on both fronts but I've never worked harder, sacrificed more or faced such a difficult challenge mentally and emotionally. 

I understand why some fans are disappointed. I haven't been able to play a lot of games or at the level we all wanted. Unfortunately that's a part of pro sports that happens every year on every team. I wish desperately it was different. I want to play more than anything in the world. I've lost an incredible amount of sleep over this disappointment. 

Competitiveness, professionalism, naiveté and hope that at some point I'd turn a corner has kept me fighting to get back. As our legendary trainer Gary Vitti, who is a close friend, told me, 'You're the last to know' - and my back has shown me the forecast over the past 18-20 months. To ignore it any longer is irresponsible. But that doesn't mean that life stops.

This may be hard for people to understand unless you've played NBA basketball, but there is an incredible difference between this game and swinging a golf club, hiking, even hitting a tennis ball or playing basketball at the park. Fortunately those other activities aren't debilitating, but playing an NBA game usually puts me out a couple of weeks. Once you're asked to accelerate and decelerate with Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving it is a completely different demand.

I'm doing what I've always done which is share a bit of my off-court life in the same way everyone else does. Going forward I hope we all can refocus our energies on getting behind these Lakers. This team will be back and Staples will be rocking.

Rockets lost to Golden State.  We were down three starters (Howard, T. Jones and Beverley) and we still held them under 100 points.  Shooting 10-42 on 3s is probably not a recipe to win.  Still love the Rox and the acquisition of Ariza, even if he had a poor shooting night. 

Hopefully we'll get Dwight and co. back soon and get back to dominating. 

Also, what was up with that bush league flagrant in the Cavs game last night?  Jesus Christ that was just terrible.  I hope he got suspended.

Golden State's offense is infinitely better than last year's. The simple move of having Bogut initiate a lot of the offense is working so well. Their backdoors and dribble-handoffs and the like have been a total joy to watch. I can't wait to see what this final product looks like. Steph, Bogut and Iggy are three insanely good passers. David Lee's not so bad, either. I also like what Draymond and Barnes can do, too.

Everyone knew the Pacers were going to have a tough season, but the contrast of this season to how they open up last season is still jarring.  Paul George, David West, and George Hill are all out with injuries.  Rough.

It's hard for me to take this Rocket team seriously in the long-term(i.e. deep playoff run), but the Clippers look shaky and the Thunder have injury issues.  Realistically, a spot could open up in the western elite.  Golden State is trying to get in on that spot too.

Golden State's offense is infinitely better than last year's. The simple move of having Bogut initiate a lot of the offense is working so well. Their backdoors and dribble-handoffs and the like have been a total joy to watch. I can't wait to see what this final product looks like. Steph, Bogut and Iggy are three insanely good passers. David Lee's not so bad, either. I also like what Draymond and Barnes can do, too.

Not surprised. They're basically doing a lot of what Steve Kerr would preach on commentary.

Big, big win for the Bucks tonight.  I hope they pay Brandon Knight in the offseason because he's been doing great things for them, even if he does force a lot of shots.  Giannis really seems to be putting it together this season, which could make them legit dangerous.

Spurs will get it together and roll off a 15-2 streak or something. The talent is still there. OKC is going to dig a deep ass hole. I'm not sure they'll be able to climb out of it. I love what I'm seeing out of the Warriors. They are deep too. When you can bring Barbosa, Iggy and Livingston off the bench you are doing very well. There isn't a huge drop off when Steph or Klay take a breather.

I love this Heat team so much right now. The ball movement tonight was beautiful, there doesn't appear to be too much of that hero ball shit, and it's all night and day compared to last season. I hated last year's team, absolutely hated it so this year's is just wonderful so far. They seem like they're having fun playing out there which is a lot more than you could say last year when everyone looked miserable all season. Shawne Williams has been shockingly good thus far outside his horrible first game and I can't wait to see if Granger has anything left in the tank.

Seeing people on my TL who are stunned at how good Bosh has been is surprising, it's like they forgot who he was in Toronto and when Wade and/or Lebron sat out the last 4 years.

edit: Here is a great interview that Le Batard did with Pat Riley that covers his entire career with some interesting revelations that not many people know about.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=11821514

• Like 1

If you would have told me that Cleveland, OKC and San Antonio would all be below .500 this early in the season, I would have said you were full of shit. Oh well. 

I don't pay much attention to these early results anymore. Like with the Sixers starting 5-4 last year. Early in the season effort can beat out talent. The talent have playoff experience and know how to pace themselves for a full season. Players from the bad teams can't sustain the effort. I didn't like when Chris Bosh criticized Blake Griffin as a rookie for basically trying too hard. Makes sense to me now though. Players do have to learn when to turn it down a notch.

I would like to know what the record for blocks in a season by a SG-SF. I went through basketball-reference and couldn't find the definitive answer. Michael Jordan's 131 for 1.6 a game is the most likely answer Whatever it is K.J McDaniels could break it in his rookie season. Noel has 1.8 a game McDaniels 1.7. Per 36 McDaniels is higher. 2.6 to 2.3. Smart guy for refusing to sign to anything more than the 1 year offer teams are required to make to hold a players rights.

His role wasn't to be this player.  He stretched out the court, shooting & hitting 3's and opening up the paint for a driving LeBron or Wade.  

He was clutch when he needed to be.  Or did you forget who got the rebound when LeBron bricked his 3 in Game 6.

Excuse you, Mr. Cuddly! Hmph.  I was bandwagoning with the best of them and clearly remember Bosh's achievements! :)

I also remember LeBron murdering all of Boston for you diehard Heat fans, too. ;)

It just felt that he should have scored more when Wade wasn't around.  I got it when Wade was playing, Bosh automatically became #3.  But there were times where he should have thrived and all we got were Dino Arms waving wildly.  I say that lovingly, Bosh seems like a cool dude.

Based on what I've seen tonight, I'd take Miami over any team in the East besides Chicago in a 7 game series.

I'm really happy that Deng's short stint in Cleveland didn't break him.  I was worried there for a minute, but it looks like he showed up big last night.  Love that guy.

• Like 1

I think if anything this is a coaching/system issue. Or rather Riley or Spo should've had a talk with Wade at some point to make it clear he needed to be the third option on offense and that they were going to be highlighting Bosh more. I mean, we all know LeBron is an unselfish player who is more than willing to pass. This just shows that even though they made four Finals in a row and won two titles, they could've been even better if they had tweaked the system to make Bosh a more prominent player alongside LeBron. And as for making room for LeBron to work in the post and forcing Bosh outside, in the times that Cleveland's offense has looked good this season, they do make an effort to get Love touches in the post early.

Would the Heat have been better with Wade coming off the bench a la Manu in San Antonio? Have another shooter in the starting lineup and then have Wade run the second unit.

If you would have told me that Cleveland, OKC and San Antonio would all be below .500 this early in the season, I would have said you were full of shit. Oh well. 

I don't pay much attention to these early results anymore. Like with the Sixers starting 5-4 last year. Early in the season effort can beat out talent. The talent have playoff experience and know how to pace themselves for a full season. Players from the bad teams can't sustain the effort. I didn't like when Chris Bosh criticized Blake Griffin as a rookie for basically trying too hard. Makes sense to me now though. Players do have to learn when to turn it down a notch.

I would like to know what the record for blocks in a season by a SG-SF. I went through basketball-reference and couldn't find the definitive answer. Michael Jordan's 131 for 1.6 a game is the most likely answer Whatever it is K.J McDaniels could break it in his rookie season. Noel has 1.8 a game McDaniels 1.7. Per 36 McDaniels is higher. 2.6 to 2.3. Smart guy for refusing to sign to anything more than the 1 year offer teams are required to make to hold a players rights.

He is going to bring us a first round draft pick at the trade deadline.  Sweet.