DVDVR Message Board

Getting into comics

Liam

What do you like to read? There's so much more to comics than capes these days

A mixture really. Have also been looking at The Walking Dead graphic novels as well. Maybe Battle Royale if that is worth a look.
THE WALKING DEAD is deffinitely worth reading. The show takes general plotlines from the comics, but does them a lot differently (Kirkman has said the show is often what he would do with the comics if he had second chance).I liked BATTLE ROYALE. There are some changes from the movie (and the novel), and the format allows for fleshing out of more characters other than Shuya and what's-her-name.

The Walking Dead is pretty expensive to get into, though. There's god knows how many volumes at $15-20 a pop. The first couple I read are pretty good though. But for someone starting out, they should be looking for something more self-contained.

Not hard at all, actually.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Compendium-One/dp/1607060760/ref=sr_1_1_ha?ie=UTF8&qid=1375606594&sr=8-1&keywords=The+Walking+Dead+Compendium

Massive (and awesome) tpb of the first 48 issues, cover price of 60 bucks, as of me posting this, amazon is selling it for 27.14

http://www.amazon.com/The-Walking-Dead-Compendium-Two/dp/1607065967/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

Volume 2, collects 49-96, also a 60 dollar cover price, amazon has it for 36.17.

That gets you caught up through the first 8 years.

• Like 1

I can't believe noone has mentioned Invincible, yet.

If you want to get into someting superhero-y, try Invincible.

It's pretty much one of the best ongoing superhero books out there and I would imagine it's far easier to get into than anything from Marvel or DC since it's pretty much self-contained for the most part.

Like Walking Dead there are also massive volumes out there that collect around 50 issues each:

http://www.amazon.com/Invincible-Compendium-One-Robert-Kirkman/dp/1607064111/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375607168&sr=8-2&keywords=invincible+compendium

Invincible is one of my very favorites, but I think Kirkman's bait-and-switch in the first year makes it difficult to get new people into.  I don't know how many times I've had to tell people who gave up after #6 "If you haven't met the Guardians of the Globe yet, you haven't seen the 'real' story."

The Walking Dead is a good start because it's recognizable and the first 50 issues or so are pretty suspenseful and intense.  I'm not a big fan of how Kirkman writes dialogue and I haven't kept up with it lately since I thought the plots were starting to get repetitive though. 

I also think Scott Pilgrim by Bryan Lee O'Malley is a good series to check out if you're just getting into comics.  It's not a superhero book, but it's fun.  It's a coming-of-age story about a slacker trying to get with what he believes is his "dream girl" with a bit of a twist.  It's not as basic as it sounds.

You probably heard of Alan Moore's Watchmen with the movie and all.  It's an obvious pick and it helped me get into comics.

Y: The Last Man by Brian K. Vaughn might be a little intimidating but it's a great book and it's not an ongoing title, which means it has a beginning and end.  It's about all the men on Earth suddenly dying except one male and his pet monkey.  The surviving females have to deal with what's left of society.

Charles Burns' Black Hole is completely out of the superhero realm.  It's more graphic novel than comic book series.  I still dig it.  The story deals with the aftermath of a sexually transmitted disease which causes grotesque mutations in teenagers.

If you wanna read some great superhero comics in a small, self-contained universe that is relatively new and easy to catch up on, I highly recommend Valiant. They only have a small handful of titles and they keep things inter-connected yet easy to follow. I've been reading X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman, and Archer & Armstrong and they are all excellent and accessible.

• Like 1

The first chunk of the movie followed vol 1 of Scott Pilgrim very closely, but as it continues, it veers more.  Partially because the first draft of the film was written around the same time vol 3 of the six volume series came out.

I love the movie, but the comics are so much more.

If you wanna read some great superhero comics in a small, self-contained universe that is relatively new and easy to catch up on, I highly recommend Valiant. They only have a small handful of titles and they keep things inter-connected yet easy to follow. I've been reading X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Shadowman, and Archer & Armstrong and they are all excellent and accessible.

I find their paperback collections to be a bit expensive, though. The standard seems to be 4 issues for $14.99.

Apart from Invincible and Walking Dead what other Non-Marvel/DC Kirkman books are good? Is anyone here reading Super Dinosaur or Thief of Thieves?

I wish they would put out an Omnibus of the complete Astounding Wolf-man.

The Valiant's should be $9.99 for the first volume. But why buy them? Get them from your local library unless you actually want to be a hardcore collector.

And even if the later volumes are $14.99, that's still comparable to DC/Marvel/Image at least.

Also if you don't mind digital, Valiant usually has a 99 cent sale every couple weeks featuring certain titles. I imagine they'll probably have one for all the titles when Unity rolls around. They recently had one that had the first chunk of Shadowman and all of the original Shadowman and Eternal Warrior issues. I enjoy the current Valiant stuff to varying degrees but not enough for $3.99 and not enough to spend even $2.99 consistently except for maybe Archer & Armstrong.

If you're into crime/noir type of stuff, check out damn near anything by Ed Brubaker. Gotham Central is set in the Batman universe, but deals with the Gotham Police Department. Coward is excellent, and is collected in a single trade paperback. His current book, Fatale, is the best comic on the market, if ya axe me. 

He's also had runs on Captain America and Daredevil, which I haven't checked out yet due to Marvel charging way too damn much for their graphic novels.