DVDVR Message Board

RIP Jack Bruce

cool arrow

No! What a tremendous bass player, one of the all-time greats. He was part of the Big Three of English bassists along with McCartney and Entwistle. Bill Wyman might deserve to be a fourth in that group, thogh. Everybody talks about Clapton in Cream, but Bruce and Ginger Baker were every bit Clapton's equals.

Let me second assfax's rec on W,B, & L... Why Dontcha came out when I was 15, we wore that sucker out... Only a few of the reports are mentioning his early work with Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated, but you could make the argument that without Korner's band and Cyril Davies Blues All-Stars we have no Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Bluesbreakers, Zeppelin, etc.

• Like 1

Amazing bass player and amazing "dude who sings Pete Brown lyrics". The three post-Cream solo albums (with PB & great back-up) have been a big deal in my life for the past decade or so. Songs for a Tailor, Harmony Row and Out of the Storm, check 'em out if you've never heard of them. Harmony Row is still my all-time favorite album. It's too bad those records aren't as well known as that other post-Cream album, Blind Faith. (Also there's Things We Like, which I love, but it's nothing like the solo trilogy.)