DVDVR Message Board

Hell In The Cell

Some other thoughts on the PPV having gone back and watched some more:

Bo's promo was probably the best he done, "I'm ashamed of this city for baring my last name!" But man alive was it awkward that the crowd didn't react to at ALL.

I am glad the 2/3 falls match was shorter than what it was expected to be.

Thought JBL had some really good one liners, but for the most part, commentary was like no caring about anything.

And watching Alicia get no reaction once or ever to pounding the mat was embarrassing. Even if you hate the hot chick doing it, they always get something from the crowd by doing that. Maybe that's just telling that they aren't teaching people how to get a reaction anymore, but rather just have them expect what they are doing "should get a reaction." But awkward silence and Alicia are long time BBFs.

It's sort of like the piledriver that Punk did a couple of years ago, actually. Years without blood makes something like that screwdriver actually mean something. You sort of lean in and pay more attention when it's in someone's hand. 

I was so disappointed when Rollins was in the cell and Dean was on top and Dean didn't even threaten to pee on him?  Dean threatens to pee on librarians who don't have the Carl's Junior menu as a book on tape.  And he has to somehow stream over a desk for that.  This should have been easy.

I felt the threat was implied.

The double announce table spot in the Ambrose/Rollins match would have been more memorable if shot from a different camera angle. They made no attempt to hide both announce teams removing items from the table before the fall.

To be fair, it only makes sense to do that when you see guys hanging right above you.

The double announce table spot in the Ambrose/Rollins match would have been more memorable if shot from a different camera angle. They made no attempt to hide both announce teams removing items from the table before the fall.

To be fair, it only makes sense to do that when you see guys hanging right above you.

Truth.  Whose going to let a guy just fall on your iPad?  Fuck that.  

I appreciate the different perspectives on this board, but I've taken to reading far more than posting these days.  I realize that I'm getting old and bitter and everything was better Back In The Day.  As good as the in-ring product has been, I personally have trouble investing in people or storylines.  There are definitely people I like, but I keep my expectations in check with regards to how far they'll go.

• Like 2

I didn't say there can't be a good cage match without blood and reckless spots I said the issue is WWE is still trying to sell the idea that something fucking crazy is going to happen by showing the old footage and bringing out Mick Foley..

Your exact words were "I want blood. I want a car wreck." How could they have satisfied you without those things?

This show did accomplish one thing.  It convinced me to wash my hands of the business entirely outside of my own commitments as an announcer.  I tried to get back in recently, but it's clearly not for me. Call me when Vince is dead.

Before anyone gets too excited over the prospect of a Bray/Ambrose feud, let's remember that Bray just isn't that good. Has everyone forgotten how badly the Jericho feud exposed him? After their disappointing matches, people were saying that Jericho was washed up. But then he went and had a really good match with Orton at NOC. So either Orton is a world-class carry artist, or it wasn't Jericho who was the problem. I really don't know what I'm supposed to be looking forward to besides more Ambrose prop comedy and a bunch of shitty overbooked matches.

• Like 6

JBL: "Careers have been defined by the Intercontinental Title!" Shoot comments that aren't supposed to be shoot comments, etc etc etc.

Missed Paige/AJ but I thought it was a hell of a show save the wrong guys going over in the bookends. The lack of direction for Cesaro right now is so fucking depressing- they strapped the rocket onto his back after he slammed Show, and then pointed the rocket into a mountainside. As for the main, I like the idea of putting Bray into the mix but not with Dean- now you've got two guys who REALLY need to go over and get elevated, but one of them obviously won't.

I think year from now, fans will look back at 2014 at the year of guys they refused to pull the trigger on at the right time. Cesaro, Ambrose, the Wyatts, Big E... the list goes on and on.

• Like 4

JBL: "Careers have been defined by the Intercontinental Title!" Shoot comments that aren't supposed to be shoot comments, etc etc etc.

Missed Paige/AJ but I thought it was a hell of a show save the wrong guys going over in the bookends. The lack of direction for Cesaro right now is so fucking depressing- they strapped the rocket onto his back after he slammed Show, and then pointed the rocket into a mountainside. As for the main, I like the idea of putting Bray into the mix but not with Dean- now you've got two guys who REALLY need to go over and get elevated, but one of them obviously won't.

I think year from now, fans will look back at 2014 at the year of guys they refused to pull the trigger on at the right time. Cesaro, Ambrose, the Wyatts, Big E... the list goes on and on.

Who's the last guy they pulled the trigger on at the right time? You can say Bryan but think that worked out despite their Plan A and Plan B. I don't give them a ton of credit for that. It was a rear action. Punk they pulled the trigger on but then pulled the Diesel shit a month or two later, so can you really say that they did the right thing at the right time there? They so rarely pull the trigger on anyone in a definitive way so when you factor in the timing element? Forget it.

Dean Ambrose just main evented when that match could have been slotted where the Cena match was and is about to go into a high-profile program. How is that not, at least as of now, pulling the trigger?

Because they're having him feud with another guy (Wyatt) they need to pull the trigger on. Both of these guys should be moving onward and upward, yet the very nature of WWE booking means one of them will continue to fall back into the pack.

• Like 1

Honestly, at this point, I think the thing to do with Ambrose would be to drop him back down the card and have him crush Miz for a couple of months to the fans' delight, and then feud him with someone else around that level for another definitive feud win. They can't do that though. Look at the advertising for Survivor Series. They've got him positioned as the #2 face Bryan and Reigns out.

I always think back to the Scott Hall quote "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."

Bust someone open hardway in that cage match. Fuck it.

After hearing Batista's story about being fined $100,000 for bleeding, I'm guessing people aren't anxious to do it and ask for forgiveness later.

I wonder if this isn't just Hunter saying to Batista, “Hey, tell people we fined you some large amount of money.” A la Watts fining people publicly and then privately bonusing them the money back.

Jericho tells the story in his third book. Vince called Jericho, Batista, Malenko (who was the agent in the match) and the ref into his office and read them all the riot act. Jericho said Vince announced Batista's fine first and he was freaking out internally wondering if he was going to get the same fine. Vince fined everyone else $5K. His rationale for fining Malenko and the ref was hilariously stupid. "Well, you were the agent and even though you didn't know he was going to do it, you should've guessed he was going to do it and stopped him."

To make the most money off of Ambrose vs Rollins, you want to hold off on Ambrose winning until if really means something. And you can't keep those two feuding now until next year. There needs to be something else for Ambrose and Rollins to do. Ambrose vs Bray is perfectly acceptable.

They don't make money off people cancelling their Network subscriptions in disgust

I would be *completely okay* with Rollins and Ambrose continuing into next year. When you have something good, you run with it. They could have been in a 'Traditional' Survivor Series match next PPV, some kind of laddery-tabley thing at TLC. Then it's The Rumble, Chamber, leading to something at Wrestlemania - which will likely feature The Rock, Brock Lesnar, probably Bryan, probably Sting, possibly Taker, By that time Roman Reigns is back too - so there's no really good reason to put Ambrose in a holding pattern.

Just curious, how exactly would you have pulled the trigger on these particular wrestlers?

Because they're having him feud with another guy (Wyatt) they need to pull the trigger on. Both of these guys should be moving onward and upward, yet the very nature of WWE booking means one of them will continue to fall back into the pack.

Who would you have them moving on and upwards to?

I would have enjoyed seeing a screencap of the Wyatt haint instead of the same Diva ass shot that feels like the 10000th time I've seen it. Getting old and mindful is a terrible thing, chil'ren.

I had a bigger problem with the match layout than the ending of the main tbh. Did the blowoff to the most built feud of the year really need four people interfering on Seth's  behalf? Bray's attack at the end should've been the only fuckery.

On the bright side Bray actually got booed. If that were Cena he attacked we'd have got thank you Wyatt chants.

Dean Ambrose just main evented when that match could have been slotted where the Cena match was and is about to go into a high-profile program. How is that not, at least as of now, pulling the trigger?

That should be Bray because The Authority is the #1 heel in the WWE.

His Jericho stuff was more frustration for a character that started sliding backwards.

They half-assed Bryan, put him in a feud with Cena where Cena goes over, then slide him back to Jericho where the part time guy goes over and leaves.  

The hyooge problem with the booking of Ambrose-Wyatt is, who loses?

Ambrose probably shouldn't lose - he's just getting hot big-time as a babyface and losing the feud would hurt his momentum.

Wyatt probably shouldn't lose after that splashy re-introduction and the fans' perception that he lost the Jericho and Cena feuds. If he loses to Ambrose, there goes what little momentum he has.