DVDVR Message Board

Hell In The Cell

The first HITC match ever ended with the demonic brother of a wrestling zombie debuting. And that character is still around today.

Bray Wyatt showing up via some parlor trick to take out a man who has talked about wanting to go to hell isn't anything that different. Bray and Dean will have awesome promos. They also had a Smackdown match this year that was off-the-charts great.

Wrestling's a soap opera. Goes from one story to the next.

God... I legitimately am starting to wonder if "overly positive guy" is just your gimmick.

If it is (and I don't think it is), I much prefer it to the handful of overly negative cynics around.

• Like 8

A good way to rebuild Dolph would be make him like the Briscoes when they were ROH Tag champs go on a streak of winning 2 out of 3 Falls in 2 straight falls. So the crowd go nuts for someone getting a fall off of Dolph in a title match. When was that R truth screen during the PPV?

I can't get invested in Rusev because we all know what his end game is(hint it starts with Super and ends with Cena). That suplex to Big Show was crazy. I'd love to see Rusev against Brock.

Isn't that the point of wrestling, build up a menacing villain for the hero to eventually beat?

Yeah, but I think JCM's issue is with the hero that will eventually beat this particular menacing villain.

On a separate note, I can't take people who use the phrase "Hivemind" seriously. That's a cop-out, an easy way to dismiss a differing opinion uncritically. I expect better from DVDVR posters. 

• Like 2

I was really looking forward to one more big run of Orton running around like a tweener viper shitting in people's bags and lone wolfing his way through the Authority and babyfaces alike on his way to Brock Lesnar but Cena vs Lesnar seems like a very fresh and interesting choice.

I've been going back and watching a lot of Jern Ceeeeee-nah's big matches over the past year or two, and I feel like he just kind of sucks in all of them. He drops D-Bry on his head with two different botches at Summerslam, I'm sick of his awful submission...

I dunno. He's like a 5 on a ten scale and I'm tired of seeing him on top calling people Jack and them gently hugging them until they tap out.

What I'm saying is that I did a sad Peanuts walk after he won tonight.

Calling people Jack is pro wrestling.

Some will disagree with what I'm about to say but if you are going to do a fucking Attitude Era main event inside a Hell in a Cell you either do it right or not fucking do it at all.

I want blood. I want a car wreck. Don't give me this lightweight bullshit. The problem is WWE is still trying to sell this gimmick as something where "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN" but everyone knows it's BS. The crowd didn't react to much because there was nothing to react to. There were a couple okay spots but when you trot out Mick Foley and show footage of previous hell in a cell matches... you are basically promising something that you and the audience both know is not ever going to happen..

With that said, I didn't hate everything on the show. Rusev and Lana are an amazing act. Rusev is selling his ass off and has been pretty much the best babyface in the company for weeks now. Lana continues to be awesome in her promos. Her mannerisms are glorious. She's also maybe the prettiest diva in WWE history. My God, woman...

Also, Mizdow is hilarious. I know some people dislike this whole act or think it's stupid but it cracks me up every time.

The first HITC match ever ended with the demonic brother of a wrestling zombie debuting. And that character is still around today.

Bray Wyatt showing up via some parlor trick to take out a man who has talked about wanting to go to hell isn't anything that different. Bray and Dean will have awesome promos. They also had a Smackdown match this year that was off-the-charts great.

Wrestling's a soap opera. Goes from one story to the next.

God... I legitimately am starting to wonder if "overly positive guy" is just your gimmick.

If it is (and I don't think it is), I much prefer it to the handful of overly negative cynics around.

It's not and there are plenty of things that I don't like that I'll freely admit not to liking. It's the nature of people who are hobbyists to the degree we are to go over-the-top in our reactions to the product. That's fine. I'm prone to a lot of hyperbole myself. But the reason why I write my 30,000 word posts is because I try and back up what I say. As long as someone can back up what they say in an interesting and thoughtful manner, I'm fine with it.

I don't think CENA WINS AMBROSE DIDN'T or GRRRR CESARO JOBBBSSS and I HATE THESE WRITERS AHHHHHH is that interesting or thoughtful. I don't think being upset about stuff that hasn't happened yet (CENA BURIES RUSEV!) or stuff that needs time to explain (BRAY DOING THIS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE) is fair.

I think what ebbie (I think?) said about the layout and the structure of the main event was really interesting. Those are really interesting and well thought-out points.

I have to say the smartest booking job of the night was to make Cena-Orton a basic wrestling match that just happened to take place inside a cage so that Rollins-Ambrose could go full ECW plunderfuck and not have to worry about being upstaged.

It sounds simple but WWE is not always good at both matches being different when they have to have two of the same match on the same show.

• Like 2

I can't get invested in Rusev because we all know what his end game is(hint it starts with Super and ends with Cena). That suplex to Big Show was crazy. I'd love to see Rusev against Brock.

Isn't that the point of wrestling, build up a menacing villain for the hero to eventually beat?

Not when the hero is as stale as Cena. Sure, he sells a lot of merch but I wonder if maybe the abysmal ratings or network numbers would increase if they would fucking attempt something a little different at some point?

I don't care that Ambrose lost, and I have no problem with them running Bray/Ambrose, or Bray interfering, or any of that.

but that ghost hologram thing was fucking stupid and when the big angle at the end of the main event kills the live crowd, you've done something wrong.

Still, the three Cena/Lesnar matches since Brock came back are all on my personal top 10 best matches the WWE has run in that same time frame, with the first one being one of my two leading candidates for match of the decade thus far, and the most recent one being quite possibly my leading candidate for 2014 MOTY, so them going again at Survivor Series is basically the best possible news.

• Like 1

Not when the hero is as stale as Cena. Sure, he sells a lot of merch but I wonder if maybe the ratings or network numbers would increase if they would fucking attempt something a little different at some point?

Amrose and Rollins main eventing a ppv over Cena/Orton wasn't something different?

• Like 1

Glad the Bellas had a good little match, good stuff even if they only got 6 minutes. Surprised Ziggler won in 2 straight falls since Cesaro had just pinned him on Raw last week, good match though. Enjoyed Sheamus/Miz. Show/Rusev I liked their Raw match better. Didn't mind Orton/Cena, didn't feel as long as it was as I thought they would go a little longer.  Thought the main event was fun enough until the finish. Don't care about Bray so thought the ending was pretty crap. Decent enough show overall.

Not when the hero is as stale as Cena. Sure, he sells a lot of merch but I wonder if maybe the abysmal ratings or network numbers would increase if they would fucking attempt something a little different at some point?

Cena's stale to us. But he's far from stale to a lot of wrestling fans. The "Let's Go Cena" chants are just as loud as "Cena Sucks."

It would be nice if the "hero" isn't so disliked by such a large portion of your fan base that he ends up turning the heel babyface. I was looking forward to Orton getting a big build to face Brock in his hometown only for Brock to fucking destroy him and leave him in a pile of shit, piss, vomit, spray tan, and tattoo ink. Cena took that from me, and I'm kinda bummed about it.

• Like 1

Not when the hero is as stale as Cena. Sure, he sells a lot of merch but I wonder if maybe the ratings or network numbers would increase if they would fucking attempt something a little different at some point?

Amrose and Rollins main eventing a ppv over Cena/Orton wasn't something different?

Not really. It had the same fuck finish ending we've been seeing all year.

• Like 2

Cena's stale to us. But he's far from stale to a lot of wrestling fans. The "Let's Go Cena" chants are just as loud as "Cena Sucks."

Gregg, the dueling Cena chants are like people saying "What?!" during a promo. It's been a part of the show for so long that people just do it to do it. It doesn't necessarily mean these are people who are in love with John Cena.

I think if it was leading to something with Kane or Trip or even Orton I can see that. The only reason I'm reasonably ok is because a Wyatt-Ambrose program holds a lot of promise.

When is the last time that three guys who have a combined zero world titles gotten all the airtime in a WWE ppv main event? I'm going to guess never, but I could be wrong.

Not to mention it was time for both Rollins and Ambrose to move away from each other.

Not really. It had the same fuck finish ending we've been seeing all year.

Still it had nothing to do with Cena which seemed to be what you were arguing about.

Gregg, the dueling Cena chants are like people saying "What?!" during a promo. It's been a part of the show for so long that people just do it to do it. It doesn't necessarily mean these are people who are in love with John Cena.

Its just a difference of fans. Women and children still love Cena and its pretty well known Cena is more cheered than not at house shows

I was so disappointed when Rollins was in the cell and Dean was on top and Dean didn't even threaten to pee on him?  Dean threatens to pee on librarians who don't have the Carl's Junior menu as a book on tape.  And he has to somehow stream over a desk for that.  This should have been easy.

• Like 7

Then why is nobody buying the network? Why is RAW no longer a can't miss television show? There are a ton of problems but it starts at the top. The Rock comes back and the crowd goes INSANE. He talks for ten minutes mostly about nothing and the crowd doesn't break into a "what?!" chant.. no. He has their complete attention. Mick Foley comes back last week and receives the biggest pop on the show. That shouldn't be happening in 2014. There should be wrestlers other than old Attitude Era stars that the audience wants to see. Nobody is over and it's because they don't receive an opportunity to prove themselves. It's Cena 24/7 week in, week out.

This board fascinates me.  For months, "Fuck WWE, they're wasting Bray Wyatt in terrible feuds with Chris Jericho and now he's just off TV completely" to "Fuck WWE for having Bray Wyatt interrupt a Dean Ambrose match and start a feud with him."  

IF (and it's a BIG early if) Ambrose is to win the World Title, it's not going to happen in the Fall, it'll be sometime around Wrestlemania, maybe even next summer.  Rollins is obviously moving into a feud with Randy Orton, so this was to be the end of the Rollins-Ambrose feud.  Rollins NEEDS the win more than Ambrose does and Ambrose needs a feud to take him through autumn.  Who better to match him up with then the re-debuting Bray Wyatt?  So going forward we get Wyatt-Ambrose, right?  I don't see what's the problem with that.  It seems like the best possible outcome for Ambrose.

• Like 1