DVDVR Message Board

Hell In The Cell

That main event was something like the best and worst of the overbooked, Attitude-Era style WWE match. Except for Ambrose's facial expressions and yelling at Rollins (especially that somewhat-chilling "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE TONIGHT") before the match even started, the whole thing felt less than organic. The beginning was obviously a Foley/Taker redux with a HBK-style double-bump, and Ambrose firing up off the stretcher. It worked for Ambrose getting a pop when he got off the stretcher and for the big pop when they finally got in the cell and the bell rang, but it all seemed somewhat contrived, and the lackey interference was so textbook.

I don't even know how to rate it; even as I could tell exactly what they were going for when they were on top of the cell, I was still worried about someone taking a bad bump, so there was a weird sort of meta-tension there as I worried about another cage malfunction rather than worrying about the guy I was rooting for and whether he would win. I still am not sure what to think of that.

Then the transition into Ambrose/Wyatt...that was less than thrilling on its own merit. The whole thing came off less like a hate-filled match where anything could happen, when it was all said and done, and more like a series of contrived spots that had an unsatisfying finish to a blood feud. 

I also think Cesaro/Ziggler was about ten more minutes away from being a potential MOTYC candidate. The whole thing was logical, with the chain wrestling leading into the arm work, which led to the final fall in particular. They actually struggled for holds in the first few minutes. The deadlift superplex was basically amazing. I just think the first fall was so poorly paced that it was a shame.

Other than that, Rusev was really good tonight, the Bellas match was a nifty little match, and everything else was mediocre-to-terrible, especially Cena and Orton having a finisher kickout-fest where the first twenty minutes were pointless so the last six could be finisher finisher finisher finisher ad nauseam. I really hated it, actually. 

• Like 3

Yeah, after 30+ years of watching everything this company has done.  Fuck it, I'm out.

I really wanna see that defended as something awesome.

It's not just that shitty angle that killed it, it's basically, the straw that broke the camel's back.

Was in and out from doing some domestic duties and such, so I didn't watch all of it..

But I thought the Bellas match was the best one I did see. They used every second of that 7 minutes, never really dragged, and Nikki was vicious. She yanked at Brie's hair each chance she got and knocked her da fuck out near the end.

That main event was confusing. You got a long, drawn out fake stretcher job that tranitisioned into a pseduo-backyard wrestling match with screwdrivers and shit, Kane came from no where. Finally, Wyatt shows up but the blackout times seemed way too long. If Taker in 2010 with peanut brittle hips can move his big ass in and out in 2 seconds, Wyatt needs to pick up the pace.

I didn't like anything on this show, and I was really looking forward to it. Retire Vince

That Cena/Orton match was like a parody of a Cena/Orton style WWE main event match.  I think they just need to stop with hitc matches in the pg era.

Was in and out from doing some domestic duties and such, so I didn't watch all of it..

But I thought the Bellas match was the best one I did see. They used every second of that 7 minutes, never really dragged, and Nikki was vicious. She yanked at Brie's hair each chance she got and knocked her da fuck out near the end.

That main event was confusing. You got a long, drawn out fake stretcher job that tranitisioned into a pseduo-backyard wrestling match with screwdrivers and shit, Kane came from no where. Finally, Wyatt shows up but the blackout times seemed way too long. If Taker in 2010 with peanut brittle hips can move his big ass in and out in 2 seconds, Wyatt needs to pick up the pace.

I assumed the long blackout wasn't because Bray was slow, but rather the time it took to set up that....hologram/light business? 

I was...kinda alright with it?  I expected Bray, and with Bray comes wacky shit. I don't care that Rollins won, the finish gives Bray a purpose for his promos (something he's been sorely lacking lately) and gives Ambrose a reason to break off from Rollins.

Rest of the show was good. That double table bump is gonna be in video packages for the next ten years, which is exactly why I think they did it. What was the last memorable Hell In A Cell spot truly? They wanted something different and they did it. But fuck the cinder blocks.

Huge pop for the RKO out of the shoulderblock sequence. Cena/Lesnar 3? Bleh.

The Bellas match was better than Paige/AJ.

Dolph/Cesaro deserved an extra five/ten minutes.

I almost don't want to rise to this troll-booking, because I can imagine Trips reading this thread and lol-ing while eating his egg whites and small bowl of oatmeal. But fucking hell.

I'm at the point were I just can't support this company anymore. If unsubscribing for the Network was the only one way I could show my displeasure, I was gonna do it. They have done nothing to make me question my decision since.

The first HITC match ever ended with the demonic brother of a wrestling zombie debuting. And that character is still around today.

Bray Wyatt showing up via some parlor trick to take out a man who has talked about wanting to go to hell isn't anything that different. Bray and Dean will have awesome promos. They also had a Smackdown match this year that was off-the-charts great.

Wrestling's a soap opera. Goes from one story to the next.

• Like 9

I guess Im in the minority because I liked it. It establishes that no matter the situation, HHH isn't gonna let his golden boy lose. Ambrose looks strong for beating Rollins' two-toned ass for ten minutes, and Wyatt gets built back up with very little effort. If I had to bet on it, Id guess that Rollins cashes in on the Cena/Lesnar winner, wins, and runs from everyone for months. Then, Ambrose wins the Royal Rumble and we get the two of them at Mania. If I had to guess. 

REALLY enjoyed Ziggler/Cesaro. 

• Like 1

I assumed the long blackout wasn't because Bray was slow, but rather the time it took to set up that....hologram/light business? 

I don't know what it is, but the first one felt like 30 seconds long. Like I was watching Swaggie or Sandow taking too long to get the brief case down. I was like "Fucking hell, turn the lights back on already!"

Barrett needs to come back so I can have interest in something besides the Bellas. So so much potential, but when you realize the company doesn't have the nerve to try something new, it's hard to fucking care.

I just don't get what happened at the end there.

We've been watching a month's worth of creepy Wyatt videos which (I assume) were to lead into their reintroduction/reboot yet Bray shows up and, like, other than a spooky smoke Ghost everything is exactly the same? And I don't see where psychotic hillbillies would be involved in the Dean/Seth/Corporation crap at all.

I dunno, this show started off well but went downhill in record time. By the end, I was kinda feeling like I'm not sure there's much worth investing my time until Rumble rolls around.

Am I the only one fine with the schmozz and non-finish?  Ambrose/Rollins can be finished later, and Ambrose/Wyatt is a great way to figure out if Ambrose is the next main event superstar. 

If you want a definitive finish to Ambrose/Rollins, it can be done at Mania, preferably over the title.   Right now I think Ambrose is likeliest to win the Rumble.

Rusev continues to be the super seller and best foreign heel in a long while, and Ziggler/Cesaro was fun.  Everything else felt stale or stupid, as I expected.