DVDVR Message Board

UFC 179: Aldo vs. Mendes II (10/25/2014) - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Ginásio do Maracanãzinho)

Elsalvajeloco

20140826104405_posterufc179.JPG

UFC 179: Aldo vs. Mendes II

October 25, 2014

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (Ginásio do Maracanãzinho)

UFC Featherweight Championship: José Aldo © (145) vs. Chad Mendes (145) (seventh defense) - Aldo, DEC (unanimous)

Glover Teixeira (205) vs. Phil Davis (205) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)

Fábio Maldonado (205) vs. Hans Stringer (206) - Maldonado, TKO (punches), R2 (4:06)

Darren Elkins (145) vs. Lucas Martins (146) - Elkins, DEC (split)

Carlos Diego Ferreira (156) vs. Beneil Dariush (156) - Dariush, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:

William Macário (170) vs. Neil Magny (171) - Magny, TKO (punches), R3 (2:40)

Yan Cabral (156) vs. Naoyuki Kotani (155) - Cabral, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (3:06)

Scott Jorgensen (128)* vs Wilson Reis (125) - Reis, SUB (arm triangle choke), R1 (3:28)

Felipe Arantes (146) vs. Andre Fili (146) - Fili, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:

Gilbert Burns (155) vs. Christos Giagos (156) - Burns, SUB (armbar), R1 (4:57)

Fabrício Camões (158) vs. Tony Martin (157) - Martin, SUB (kimura), R1 (4:16)

*Chose not to reweigh; forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000):

Performance of the Night: Gilbert Burns

Performance of the Night: Fábio Maldonado

Fight of the Night: José Aldo vs. Chad Mendes

Attendance: 11,415

Buyrate: 180,000

Cancelled Bouts:

Fabrício Camões vs. Josh Shockley - Injury to Shockley

Alan Patrick vs. Beneil Dariush - Injury to Patrick (Broken Jaw)

I like Mendes, but I just don't see him exploiting any of Aldo's weaknesses this time around.

I'm guessing Aldo wins and then UFC books McGregor/Aldo.

Well it seems that McGregor hanging around in Brazil has been more important than the actual fight tonight.  Something tells me that Connor is going to do something to spark attention tomorrow night

Which means Mendes wins.

Unless Aldo grabs the cage avoiding a takedown and knees him in the face ratting his brain enough to see him go unconscious within 10 minutes.

Prelims over.

Good stuff.

Missed the Fight Pass stuff, caught the stuff on Fox Sport 1.

Fili/Arantes delivered as expected. Fun back and forth fight. FOTN and it's going to be hard to surpass it.

Reis put on a solid performance against Jorgensen. Hurt him with a body kicked and then pulled out the arm triangle.

Cabral struggled a bit in the first, but turned it on and beat Kotani by submitting him in the second.

Magny/Patolino was fun too. Patolino almost finished Magny in the second and Magny fought back and almost finished Patolino in the second too and in the third he eventually kept on the pressure and finished Patolino by ground & pound.

Good prelims.

Not a great main card by any chance, but it's been entertaining.

Dariush dominated Ferreira was entertaining.

Elkins/Martins was pretty bad. Elkins is the most uncharismatic fighter ever. Also he clearly won by unanimous decision as he controlled for at least 14 minutes of that fight. I have no idea how one judge scored it 30-27 for Mineiro.

Fabio/Stringer was pretty bad technique-wise, but it's ways entertaining watching Fabio.

Mr. Wonderful/Glover wasn't particularly great, but it wasn't Elkins/Martins level boring. Glover looked like he was 500 years old in that fight.

Great fight. FOTY candidate up there with Weidman/Machida and Brown/Silva.

Aldo/Conor next seems like a lock once Conor beats Siver in January.

My FOTY. Basically a caged street fight. People might talk about the end of round 1, but the combo started during the bell, and the ref should have been there.

edit. Oh yeah, the rest of the card sucked. 

That combo at the VERY end of round 1 was one of the filthiest combinations I've ever seen, and it reminded me exactly of the one Marco Antonio Barrera landed on Erik Morales in the first fight. What's crazy is that Barrera did his off a counter and Aldo just completed faded Mendes without one. I think the speed was so blinding that Goddard couldn't even warn Aldo and/or take a point.

Ouch.

Thought more people would be calling foul on Aldo for the shots landed on Mendes at the end of the first round.

I didn't think the main card was as bad as some others on here.

The prelims were good stuff though.

They don't have a ton of depth when it comes to the hometown Brazilians guys. Guys like Arantes, Lucas Martins, the Marajo brothers, and others (especially the TUF Brazil guys) are all Fight Pass/FS1 prelim fight fodder. Maybe Marcos Pezao can be a main card guy eventually and take the place of a Feijao. However, that remains to be seen. They will probably keep Durinho in Brazil as well.