DVDVR Message Board

EVOLVE Wrestling Thread

greenbat, I hope you enjoy the show and I really hope it's a success. I've never checked out EVOLVE but I was a big ROH fan during Gabe's booking tenure. If this can provide the company with a new and solid revenue stream, I'm all for it.

Everyone asks me if these guys are popular in the us. I mean it when I say no one in China watches wrestling. No one has any idea who Hulk Hogan is. The only wrestler anyone knows is the Big Show and that's because he was on all the advertisements when WWE came to Shanghai. I'm guessing this will mostly be foreigners.

Ok guys, massive news.

So on the website 163.com (like a Chinese yahoo) they reported the show is completely sold out. I'm fuckin shocked. They are holding a small amount of seats for a walk up crowd and for vip packages but this show is going to be at 90%+ capacity.

The story talks about how this is the "Virgin show"and the promoter wants to arrange another for next year.

Edit:just to add the other shows are also at about 80/90% sold out. Again holding tickets for a walk up and student discounts.

Based on my girlfriends reaction to Lucha Underground (which was hilarious and I posted in the lucha section) I think these Chinese fans will get a kick out of it. They literally do not know what it really is and they can get away with a good bit of kayfabe I think.

Just my expectations.

• Like 1

That sounds rather interesting they sold out in China.

I saw WWN Live released the Roku app recently, and so far the playback has been flawless (this plus the WWE Network have made this so worth getting a Roku).  I'm so behind on damn near everything Evolve (and the other WWN promotions at that) and would like some recommendations.  Preferably recent shows, but just something that is an absolute must-see.  I saw that one had Drew Galloway and I've heard he's been tearing it up lately.  But any shows to check out would be awesome.  Thanks.

I was excited to see the Roku channel because I haven't watched a lot of this stuff and they are loaded with companies but then I saw how the pricing was and was pretty disappointed.  In order to watch a show you have to pay $10 - $15 for each show.    Not sure what the benefit is of a Roku channel where you have to still go to the web site and order the show just to see it at the same price as buying the DVD.   To me a $10 - $20 a month subscription would have been a better idea.  

• Like 2

Exactly.  I'd gladly subscribe for a monthly fee.  It's kind of baffling that WWE Network has a shitton of stuff for $10/month, yet WWN has a relatively smaller library and charges per show.  I'd guarantee it if they did a monthly fee they'd get much more business.  But for now I'm left picking though shows to see what is worth parting hard-earned money with.

Wonder if there's any indy wrestling in China?

Fuuuuuuck no.

I can't stress it enough guys. NO ONE here even knows what pro wrestling is. They have no idea who Hulk Hogan or John Cena is. They aren't even sure if it's real. They think is boxing or mma when I ask anyone

• Like 3

I'm thinking back to Jericho's new book where they went to China or Japan (not sure which one)  The supposed sellout was a lie, as most tickets were bought by the government for fear of riots.  I'm not saying that's the case with the EVOLVE show, but it wouldn't surprise me either if something sketchy goes down.

I'm thinking back to Jericho's new book where they went to China or Japan (not sure which one) The supposed sellout was a lie, as most tickets were bought by the government for fear of riots. I'm not saying that's the case with the EVOLVE show, but it wouldn't surprise me either if something sketchy goes down.

I don't mean to get too abstract but if bet that was about North Korea. China is not like that at all and hasn't been since with 70s. If the tickets don't sell they don't sell. Who's gonna riot? The Chinese government can't force mass assembly like that. People have jobs and young people don't give a shit.

I'm thinking back to Jericho's new book where they went to China or Japan (not sure which one) The supposed sellout was a lie, as most tickets were bought by the government for fear of riots. I'm not saying that's the case with the EVOLVE show, but it wouldn't surprise me either if something sketchy goes down.

I don't mean to get too abstract but if bet that was about North Korea. China is not like that at all and hasn't been since with 70s. If the tickets don't sell they don't sell. Who's gonna riot? The Chinese government can't force mass assembly like that. People have jobs and young people don't give a shit.

No, it was China. I just read the book. WWE didn't do a show in North Korea and I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. Jericho could've full of shit, of course, but that's what he described.

I'm trying to figure out a scenario in which a wrestling show not selling out would cause riots, and I'm coming up dry.

I think the idea is that if a show legitimately sells out, you have lots of people in one place, which is one of the necessary ingredients for a riot.  That's what the government is trying to prevent.  If they step in and buy up most of the tickets, presumably they don't do anything with the tickets after buying them, and you end up with many fewer people at the show (even though all the tickets were sold) and thus a riot is less likely.

I'm trying to figure out a scenario in which a wrestling show not selling out would cause riots, and I'm coming up dry.

I assumed it meant: government worries stadium full of 20,000 fans will riot, so buys 15,000 tickets and eats them. WWE show is a sellout, but only 5000 people show up, and there's no riot.

EDIT: slow thumbs :(

Then..... why would the government allow anything in the first place if it just means a loss of money for the state? Yeah the government wastes money to look good but I think a 20k seat wrestling show is way low on their radar, not to mention Mariah Carey had almost 80 students here a month ago.

I honestly just don't buy this scenario. Chinese people (at least in Beijing) are incredibly docile. I've been to bars with 200+ young people, foreigners and students and there was nothing close to dissent. Is not 1989 anymore.

We're only a few days away, I'll give as detailed a report as possible.

• Like 2

Then..... why would the government allow anything in the first place if it just means a loss of money for the state? Yeah the government wastes money to look good but I think a 20k seat wrestling show is way low on their radar, not to mention Mariah Carey had almost 80 students here a month ago.

I honestly just don't buy this scenario. Chinese people (at least in Beijing) are incredibly docile. I've been to bars with 200+ young people, foreigners and students and there was nothing close to dissent. Is not 1989 anymore.

We're only a few days away, I'll give as detailed a report as possible.

ron-swanson-chuck-e-cheese-e138081006637

Ok next morning. I'm on my phone so I'll make this brief.

We missed the first half of the show because of Beijing bullshit like a packed train and only one goddamn gate being open so we spent 30 minutes walking around the entire arena. There were people selling tickets on the street everywhere which wasn't a great sign. Apparently scalpers bought a lot of tickets. When we got there the arena was about half full but people were leaving when we went in. A good chunk of people just didn't like it and left early on. I'll post pictures when I get settled tonight. The first thing I noticed was how into the simple spots the crowd was. Now I've never really seen Evolve outside of clips so I was expecting a very fast pace and lots of high spots but most of the show was very straight forward and Matt based but the crowd would pop giant for simple vertical suplexes and chops. Every match came off show except the main event. Let's just start.

Rich Swann b AR Fox to retain the FIP title

Allysin Kay b Su Yung

Chuck Taylor b Jody Kristofferson via count out

I missed all of these.

Timothy Thatcher b Biff Busick

I came in during this. They had the ring micd awesome. Every slap and slam sounded huge. I don't know who's who but they did a babyface from the under the whole match. Lots of ground work, holds, and striking. The babyface won with an Armbar and they shook hands. Had good reactions.

Then they did this stupid cheer leading deal to I'm Happy which in the US I was able to avoid ever listening to the whole thing so that fucked me.

Mia Yim b Ivelisse Velez to win the  Shine title

they came out to Gun Sounds by Waka Flocka, that was cool.

The match was ok but it had some horribly blown spots and very fake looking stuff. It was about the sane as the llast.Mia won worth a package piledriver off the second rope but it was so noticeable that the other girl helped. My girlfriend still thought it looked way too dangerous.

Trent Baretta & Caleb Konley b Bravado Brothers and Fire Ant & Silver Ant in an elimination match to retain the Open the United Gate tag title

this was good. The Bravados loomed fantastic and played heels but I'm not sure the crowd got it. They eliminated the Colony really really early, I think just to establish the Bravados finisher for later. Lots of back and forth. The babyface team went over. Not nearly as many dives asi thought. Like when the wrestlers would come out they played intro videos and the videos were all apron bumps and dives but the matches were very subdued. It could've been that there were no pads outside or that they didn't wanna overwhelm the audience. Either way good match.

At this point my girlfriend asked what they made, thinking these guys should make at least $10,000 a match....so yeah....

Johnny Gargano b Ricochet to retain the Open the Freedom Gate title and the CITIC Cup

before the match started a good chunk of the audience left to beat the subway. Ricochet looked incredible and oozed charisma. Los if high spots. My girlfriends jumped and grabbed my hand like a horror movie for a few like the ssp and a dvd on the apron.

Gargano won which the f4w report listed asa retain but Ricochet cane out with the belt so I think he won it. He did a speech and I ran down to say hi to Ricochet, called him Puma, but he blew me off. The cried poured out. I got to see Gargano, got a sweet picture of him and he said my Batman shirt was awesome which kind of left me speechless like a little girl.

Overall a good show. I was expecting a faster style and i think the crowd that stayed really liked it. They said they'd be back and the turnout is perceived to be good, especially for the lack of promotion they did.

Also they had a little cheering section that would try and get chants going but good luck when no one speaks English.

I'll post pictures later if anyone is interested.