DVDVR Message Board

Thought I'd make this thread in light of the Percy Harvin trade.

Every year in every sport you hear about that one guy, that one that has an immense amount of talent and makes big plays for the team, but that just will not shut the fuck up and winds up making life hard on his teammates and the fans. That one that makes highlights on Sportscenter, but wouldn't know the first thing about sacrifice or commitment. In some cases they wind up being such a jackass that their teammates wind up being unable to control their innermost urges to choke the daylights out of them for being such an insufferable douchebag.

We'll start with the very first name in the tags above, Mr. Terrell Owens. This man could've easily had a career tailor-made for Canton, and a lot of us Eagles fans remember the gutsy performance he put on in the Super Bowl. But he just would not shut the fuck up. He lacked the ability to shut the fuck up. We could go on about his end-zone celebrations or his antics in taunting guys like Ray Lewis, but that's not the issue. It seemed like his entire modus operandi was to throw every teammate he ever played with, particularly quarterbacks, under the bus in a New York minute. I mentioned it in the Sports What-If's thread, but I really believe that if this arrogant prick didn't make an entire season of making ESPN headlines in the wrong way the Eagles would've at least finished 9-7. Needless to say, Jason Avant stands a better chance of having number 81 retired in Philly than Owens.

Owens is probably the second best wide receiver in the HISTORY of football. Maybe 3rd or 4th depending on your criteria. At worst. If he's not in the hall of fame, it's a fucking joke. Just like with Owens, Harvin has a lot of friends in the locker room including Bruce Irvin and Marshawn Lynch. Owens always had a lot of friends too. The wide receiver position is a touchy thing because when they are open they expect the ball to be coming their way. When they're not open, they STILL expect the ball to be coming their way. They are ridiculously confident. I can see the frustration because they are extremely talented and they can change the game in one play if you give them the opportunity to do so.

It's tough being a QB and keeping these guys happy but it's also very difficult being a receiver because any time you criticize the QB... YOU are at fault. Russell Wilson is averaging 195 yards a game this year. He's been efficient and that's perfectly fine if the team is winning but a game like last week..  they needed to open it up a bit to match Dallas. Wilson was terrible in the game and from what I'm hearing Harvin let him know about it. Obviously you can't choose to keep Percy over Wilson if it comes to that but now the team is left with a very shaky receiving corps. We'll see what happens the rest of the way. I think people are too quick to blame the receiver.

The Eagles wouldn't have even been in the game against New England if it wasn't for Owens on one leg doing his best Superman impression.

• Like 2

From what I've heard, Lynch is one of the guys that Harvin got into a knockdown-dragout with in recent weeks.

Lynch just tweeted that he was upset about Harvin being dealt. Also, I'm not sure how a guy on a baseball team can really be disruptive. Bonds showed up to work and was the best player ever. He didn't need to be anyone's friend. I've read stories of the late 70's Yankees. The whole "25 players and 25 cabs" thing and they still won.

I'm not sure how much Rodman was a cancer as much as a oddball. His early years with the pistons were not very controversial, and it don't go up to 11 until his time in Chicago.

I read that Jordan loved him because he played defense, rebounded, and could care less about getting touches.  He just wanted rebounds and Jordan thought that was cool.

Rodman did all the dirty work that Jordan did not want to do.

Baseball is a weird game, in that it takes both individual effort and team work to succeed. There have been locker room cancers, but you REALLY  need to be an asshole to stand out there.  I want to say Vince Coleman is a name that comes to mind though. Firecracker cracker throwing. .  . Though when you get two of them together(think Kent and Bonds or the teams mentioned above) it can either create a weird winning chemistry or teams from hell, and usually not much in between. . .

Was it Bronx Zoo that depicted Spanky Lyle sitting naked on birthday cakes in the Yankee clubhouse?

And then you had the 86 Mets & 93 Phils, full of jerks and meatheads and drug users...

And the only member of the 86 Mets who is currently not alive is Gary Carter. That blows my mind.

Baseball is a weird game, in that it takes both individual effort and team work to succeed. There have been locker room cancers, but you REALLY  need to be an asshole to stand out there.  I want to say Vince Coleman is a name that comes to mind though. Firecracker cracker throwing. .  . Though when you get two of them together(think Kent and Bonds or the teams mentioned above) it can either create a weird winning chemistry or teams from hell, and usually not much in between. . .

Firecracker throwing < squirting bleach on reporters.

Firecracker throwing < squirting bleach on reporters.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. . .

I'm not sure how much Rodman was a cancer as much as a oddball. His early years with the pistons were not very controversial, and it didn't go up to 11 until his time in Chicago.

This isn't correct. The controversy started in his two seasons with the Spurs. The hair started changing colors, he head-butted Stacey King and John Stockton. In the second year, they started suspending him, he was fighting with the FO, and they traded a HoF player still in his career prime for Will Perdue and cash.

He kept it up in Chicago, but the team's attitude seemed to be "Fuck it. He's worth the trouble."

I think Rodman really needed a strong personality or leader in the locker room that he respected. He had one in Detroit with Isiah and again in Chicago with Michael, David Robinson, for everything great he was as a basketball player, wasn't that.

John Brisker was one of the worst but he probably transcended from locker room cancer to guy everyone was afraid of because he was a lunatic. Players on his own team were scared he would pull out his gun and shoot them in the locker room. The coach of the Dallas club put a $500 bounty on his head because he was such a menace. He disappeared in Uganda after working for Idi Amin, some people think Amin ate him.

Being the top authority figure of the ABA did not make you immune to Brisker's wrath either. In 1971, immediately after the All-Star game, Brisker walked up to league commissioner Jack Dolph and demanded his All-Star bonus right then and there. Figuring an intact clavicle was worth the $300, Dolph paid Brisker cash out of his own wallet. Can you imagine Ron Artest trying to publicly shake down David Stern today?

Owens was just over emotional. Took things far too personally. I don't have any problem with Owens wanting a new contract after the first season with the Eagles. His deal was awful and he did the right thing firing the guy that recommended he sign it. The guy risked his career getting ready to play in that Super Bowl. He was outstanding in the game as well. After doing that I don't see how it was out of line for him to want some guarantees. A player with his skill deserves that. The whole contract with the Eagles designed to protect the team in case he had an attitude issue was a self fulfilling prophesy. So he gets a new agent and asks for a new deal. Immediately the team goes on the offensive in the media attacking him for it. I have no idea why the team would handles something that way when dealing with a person with a normal temperament. Doing so with someone like Owens was just asking for an atomic meltdown. The grief Owens gets over how things played out is justified. The team deserves it as well though.

The problems between Kelly and DeSean stayed behind closed doors for the most part. I am not sure the team handled things the right way with him as far as the whole gang signs issue. But that wasn't something contrived by the team and was something discussed by fans well before it became an issue with the team in the press. At least Kelly and Roseman were smart enough to cut ties with him. Reid was arrogant enough to think he could make it work with Owens even when things were clearly broken beyond repair.