DVDVR Message Board

OSCARS 2015

RIPPA

Guest The Magnificent 7

And honestly, after the performance of Glory not too long before (and the moving "I'm Not Going to Miss You" earlier in the telecast), it came off as being kind of trite. If they were going to do it, it should have been earlier in the telecast. Or they could have played up the "escaping tyranny" aspect of the plot, instead the clips made the film appear to be about a flighty lady with some particularly cheerful children. Including the line "and then you're married and you belong to him" in the clips was a huge mistake in 2015.

Sounds like such a fun loving bunch you watched this with.  How anyone could find that line as controversial or worthy of pearl clutching is beyond me.  I'd rather watch the Oscars with Cotton Mather's corpse.

We have a low tolerance for schmaltz, which other than this and the usual overblown speech from the Academy president, this year's ceremony was mercifully low on. We were also impatient, because it was 10:30 and there was still 4 awards to give out (maybe 6, can't remember if they had given out the writing awards yet) and we just wanted them to hurry the fuck up.

That line is my own personal beef. You have an entire movie to pull clips from and that's one you deem absolutely necessary? It's a terrible sentiment.

Does it make you uncomfortable when males like Bob Dylan record You Belong to Me?  I think you should write an angry letter to the Academy.   

So apparently that WAS Will Arnett in the Batman suit during Everything Is Awesome

Oh and the suit he was wearing - Val Kilmer's suit from Batman Forever

I thought it was. I also love the continuing random appearances by Questlove. He seems to be popping up in places for like a hot second and it always amuses me, like on Parks and Rec.

In that one moment of that one picture, I kind of wish she still had use of more than 10% of her brain and could Lucy the fuck out of him.

I thought it was kind of depressing that, rather than just walking off or, yeah, slapping him, she just stood there with a barely disguised look of disgust.

Even you're one of the most famous women on the planet, Hollywood still hardwires into you that you have put up with that crap and not make a fuss.

We have a low tolerance for schmaltz

But you decided to watched the Oscars, which is the epitome of self-important schmaltz.

I love movies and I love ranking things.

Last time I ever throw shade at the Sound of Music. :D

And honestly, after the performance of Glory not too long before (and the moving "I'm Not Going to Miss You" earlier in the telecast), it came off as being kind of trite. If they were going to do it, it should have been earlier in the telecast. Or they could have played up the "escaping tyranny" aspect of the plot, instead the clips made the film appear to be about a flighty lady with some particularly cheerful children. Including the line "and then you're married and you belong to him" in the clips was a huge mistake in 2015.

Sounds like such a fun loving bunch you watched this with.  How anyone could find that line as controversial or worthy of pearl clutching is beyond me.  I'd rather watch the Oscars with Cotton Mather's corpse.

We have a low tolerance for schmaltz, which other than this and the usual overblown speech from the Academy president, this year's ceremony was mercifully low on. We were also impatient, because it was 10:30 and there was still 4 awards to give out (maybe 6, can't remember if they had given out the writing awards yet) and we just wanted them to hurry the fuck up.

That line is my own personal beef. You have an entire movie to pull clips from and that's one you deem absolutely necessary? It's a terrible sentiment.

Does it make you uncomfortable when males like Bob Dylan record You Belong to Me?  I think you should write an angry letter to the Academy.   

I hate anything Bob Dylan records, so........yes?

The last time I watched the Oscars was when Lord of the Rings won everything. Which was also the last year it was on BBC1. Every time the live feed went to commercials it cut to Jonathon Ross in a studio with Rob Brydon and a couple of other people, and they took the piss out of everything for ages. So the Academy got pouty, said the Oscars wouldn't be on free telly anymore and sold it to SKY movies, where nobody watches it. But we read about (the dresses famous Women were wearing while attending) it in Tuesday's papers.

Well, they print it in Tuesday's papers anyway. Whether or not anyone actually reads it, who can say?

• Like 1

Movies still do big business, obviously, but quality-wise they simply can't compare to TV any more. 

The oscars has inevitably suffered for it.

Yeah, let's be honest, in 20 years time no one is going to give a crap about The Artist or The Reader. They'll be too busy talking about Mad Men and Breaking Bad. 

So given the two main options, there was either Oscars or Fastlane, both with mixed results.

I took part in a Christening/reception and came home to see Walking Dead on DVR.  Given the opinions in both threads it sounds like I was in the best situation.

Given that, what is actually worth checking out?  I'm interested in the "Everything is awesome!" bit and that's about it so far.

And while it was cool that Keaton was in a movie that won Best Picture, it got canceled out by American Sniper winning at least one award.

Given that, what is actually worth checking out?  I'm interested in the "Everything is awesome!" bit and that's about it so far.

-Neil Patrick Harris' 'Birdman' parody was quite funny, if you've seen 'Birdman'

-John Travolta trying to make up for last year's mispronounciation with a little joke, then repeatedly touching Idina Menzel's face in the creepiest way possible and just being genuinely creepy all evening long.

-The 'Everything Is Awesome' performance, keeping a special eye on Channing Tatum in the audience after he is given his Lego Oscar and is super-stoked on it, and repeatedly playing with it, dancing with it for pretty much the rest of the night.

That was it for me, really.  Nothing as good as this, though.

So in today's papers, in addition to discussing the dresses some famous women wore to post-Oscars parties, the Guardian pointed out that of the last four best picture winners, three have been about movies.

And the Daily Star said the Academy was out of touch for giving Birdman best picture when Guardians of the Galaxy was so much more beloved.

Saying 'Birdman' is about movies, Hollywood, or broadway, is like saying '2001' is about spaceships.  Or 'All About Eve' is about Hollywood.  Or Citizen Kane is about newspapers.  Yeah, they are, but they're all about so much more.

I really don't get the ongoing narrative about how "Boyhood' did something groundbreaking and unique!" when it's a gimmick that's been done before (Francois Truffaut made a series of movies Antoine Doinel, all starring the same actor, the followed the character over a period of 20 years, not to mention the 'Up' Series which is a series of documentaries about people that catches up with them every 7 years) and the plotline, such as it was, has been seen a thousand times in other movies and, in all honesty, done better.

• Like 4