DVDVR Message Board

OSCARS 2015

RIPPA

I would also guess that a big factor working against it is that, no matter how good it turned out to be, it was first and foremost a naked, movie-length advertisement for a toyline. I can't imagine many in the Academy would want to legitimize something like that.

Probably not a coincidence that it got snubbed in the same year the Best Picture was a rebuke to blockbusters based on comics and toys and whatnot.

RE: Oscars and injustices. When has something won that really should have won? They seem more miss than hit these days.

No Country For Old Men and The Departed was the last time I remember people on this board saying "Hey, the best movie of the year actually won Best Picture!"

Maybe around these parts, but elsewhere you had a lot of people stumping for 'There Will Be Blood' over NCFOM.

I didn't watch the show, so I'm catching Lady Gaga's Sound of Music montage now.  She did a great job.  There are quite a few current pop singers with some good pipes.

Her performance was really good, but it was such an unnecessary segment. The show was already going long at that point and I don't care if it's 50 years old, The Sound of Music has not exactly held up at being particularly important, beyond its popularity at the time. It was a really badly plotted out segment too; here's a couple minutes clip of medley of songs from the movie, followed by a few minutes of Gaga singing a medley of those very same songs.

And honestly, after the performance of Glory not too long before (and the moving "I'm Not Going to Miss You" earlier in the telecast), it came off as being kind of trite. If they were going to do it, it should have been earlier in the telecast. Or they could have played up the "escaping tyranny" aspect of the plot, instead the clips made the film appear to be about a flighty lady with some particularly cheerful children. Including the line "and then you're married and you belong to him" in the clips was a huge mistake in 2015.

I was pretty surprised to go online when I was home and seeing it raved about in multiple places. Everyone I was in the room with when it was on spent the whole time making dismissive fart noises.

In summation; Gaga, great voice in a misplaced segment.

:mellow:

I was just complimenting Gaga, not giving socio-political commentary.

*slowly backs away from computer*

Oh I know, I was mostly just quoting you since you brought her up today. In my own roundabout way, I too was trying to compliment her. I just think the segment smelled wrong.

Guest The Magnificent 7

And honestly, after the performance of Glory not too long before (and the moving "I'm Not Going to Miss You" earlier in the telecast), it came off as being kind of trite. If they were going to do it, it should have been earlier in the telecast. Or they could have played up the "escaping tyranny" aspect of the plot, instead the clips made the film appear to be about a flighty lady with some particularly cheerful children. Including the line "and then you're married and you belong to him" in the clips was a huge mistake in 2015.

Sounds like such a fun loving bunch you watched this with.  How anyone could find that line as controversial or worthy of pearl clutching is beyond me.  I'd rather watch the Oscars with Cotton Mather's corpse.

Sounds like such a fun loving bunch you watched this with.  How anyone could find that line as controversial or worthy of pearl clutching is beyond me.  I'd rather watch the Oscars with Cotton Mather's corpse.

We have a low tolerance for schmaltz, which other than this and the usual overblown speech from the Academy president, this year's ceremony was mercifully low on. We were also impatient, because it was 10:30 and there was still 4 awards to give out (maybe 6, can't remember if they had given out the writing awards yet) and we just wanted them to hurry the fuck up.

That line is my own personal beef. You have an entire movie to pull clips from and that's one you deem absolutely necessary? It's a terrible sentiment.

I got dragged to an Oscar party with a bunch of 70 year olds from my girls parents church and their baffled reaction to Everything is Awesome is probably he greatest thing I've ever seen.

Oh and the Tim McGraw song was basically a heart punch to every one of them. I don't think a single one of them wasn't crying by the end.

Plus the Sound of music is in the top three of movies box office when you adjust for inflation.  The Jennifer Hudson thing was so unnecessary; take half of her time, and devote it to in memoriam, so we can have clips, not that idiotic portraits, and then cut the running time down. I'm in the mountain time zone, so it wasn't to late, but your poor bastards in the east. . .  was it on until midnight?