DVDVR Message Board

OSCARS 2015

RIPPA

Lady Gaga was always talented but she really needed to change some things, evolve.. because her popularity has fallen off a cliff over the last couple years. She's still super popular but she doesn't have the teen crowd nearly as much as she did.

It's hard to have the teen crowd when she's releasing a duet album with a guy their grandparents, if not great grandparents, listened to. I loved Tony Bennett as a teenager, along with Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc (still do), but I'm an old soul and pretty weird.

How many people's parents have been like "You know I'm really into that Lady Magoogoo or whatever" since that CD came out?  I know mine have.  My old man's all freakin hot for her now.

Maybe she's prepping to make a Celine Dion style deal in Las Vegas or something.  10 years 5 BILLION DOLLARS.

Lady Gaga was always talented but she really needed to change some things, evolve.. because her popularity has fallen off a cliff over the last couple years. She's still super popular but she doesn't have the teen crowd nearly as much as she did.

It's hard to have the teen crowd when she's releasing a duet album with a guy their grandparents, if not great grandparents, listened to. I loved Tony Bennett as a teenager, along with Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc (still do), but I'm an old soul and pretty weird.

How many people's parents have been like "You know I'm really into that Lady Magoogoo or whatever" since that CD came out?  I know mine have.  My old man's all freakin hot for her now.

Maybe she's prepping to make a Celine Dion style deal in Las Vegas or something.  10 years 5 BILLION DOLLARS.

She ought to, as she has the voice for that sort of thing. . .

SO glad Boyhood didn't win. Turned it off about half way through. Granted I have a quick movie hook anyway, but it bored me to tears. Haven't seen Birdman yet, but I was rooting for Keaton, just because he's fucking Beetlejuice man. . . They need a new producer and writer for this show, as the audience was terrible, and they need to just cut the fucking mic at some point. . . .

Also, Birdman forever! Picked Boyhood on my ballot, figuring it'd split Pic and Director with Birdman, but am glad it went the way it did.

Fuck Eddie Redmayne, though....damn. Keaton should have won, but literally any other nominee would have been fine.

Like I said in another thread: Bill Murray (Lost in Translation) vs Sean Penn (Mystic River) in 2003 basically sums up the Oscars' attitude to acting. A big, show off performance is always going get the nod over a more subtle acting role. Even if the big, show off performance wasn't even that good. 

If Hollywood was as liberal as Hannity thinks, how would American Sniper even have been made in the first place?

The better argument is "How did it get all those nominations if Hollywood hated it so much?"

I thought Birdman was an excellent movie, but I liked Boyhood just a tad more, and my gut tells me ten years from now, Boyhood is going to hold up better.  Kinda surprised it won pretty much nothing.

Whiplash winning three was great.  I really wish more people had seen it when it was out.  When it got editing, I thought maybe it had a small prayer of shocking the world...

I wanted Keaton to win, but honestly, it was more because I love Michael Keaton.  I don't even think he gave the best performance in the movie, much less the best of the year.

Like I said in another thread: Bill Murray (Lost in Translation) vs Sean Penn (Mystic River) in 2003 basically sums up the Oscars' attitude to acting. A big, show off performance is always going get the nod over a more subtle acting role. Even if the big, show off performance wasn't even that good. 

I don't know if I'd consider Keaton's performance subtle, it's actually pretty bombastic and theatre-y (for obvs reasons, obvs). I have no problem claiming its the best performance of the year, caveat being I have yet to see Foxcatcher and Selma.

RE: Oscars and injustices. When has something won that really should have won? They seem more miss than hit these days.

No Country For Old Men and The Departed was the last time I remember people on this board saying "Hey, the best movie of the year actually won Best Picture!"

It wasn't too long ago, the Oscars was one of those shows that TV people didn't dare run against, like the Superbowl is, or the FA Cup Final (used to be). Whereas you had a WWE PPV and a live UFC both against it this year. Because demographics.