DVDVR Message Board

OSCARS 2015

RIPPA

So are the Oscars still in the period of "Either Cumberbatch or Redmayne will win for playing tortured historical figure/guy in wheelchair" or are they out of that phase?

Personally, I think it's Michael Keaton's to win or lose.

So I see the narrative for this year's nominees is it sucks to be anything other than a white male, because the BP nominees are all about white males, save 'Selma'.  One of the things pointed out was that nothing in the BP category is about a female character, like 'Wild' or 'Gone Girl ' but, I was thinking, to be fair, most of the reviews of those films were along the lines of "It's okay, but Witherspoon is really good" or "It's better than the book, but..." so it's not like those are massive snubs.  The weirdest has to be nominating 'Selma' for BP, ignoring the lead for Best Actor, but also not nominating the director because then they would have been able to brag "We nominated the first African American female director" pats-on-the-back.

I honestly haven't paid attention the big movies nominated.  I didn't even know about Selma until recently, but the preview made it seem obvious it'd be nominated.  Boyhood is the only one in that category I might want to check out.

Since I don't really know any of these movies, I'm just going to root for anything to do with Guardians and Lego Movie.  Though no way will "Everything is awesome" win with the song from Selma in that category.

In answer to my own question, Vegas odds have Boyhood as the huge favorite for Best Picture.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/oscars-boyhood-leads-best-picture-vegas-odds-1201406034/

Micheal Keaton and Eddie Redmayne are in a virtual dead heat for Actor.  Julianne Moore, JK Simmons, Patricia Arquette, and Richard Linklater are all runaway favorites in the other major categories.

This is the best time of the year because the Best Short Animated Films Nominees come out at the theatres. Those are my favorite thing to see in theatres every year. 

Oh, hey...Meryl Streep, whatta ya know?

You'd swear they were taking the piss at this point.

And, yeah, I haven't seen Selma or Boyhood yet but I liked Nightcrawler better than any of the other nominees, including Whiplash which I absolutely loved (Simmons is as much of a nailed on favourite for Supporting Actor as you can get). Gyllenhaal was better than any of the Best Actor nominees.

I think Boyhood or Birdman takes Best Picture. Probably Boyhood because it is an "achievement."  I don't have an issue with that but it does feel like a film people will forget about in a few years. 

American Sniper is probably the worst film to ever be nominated for Best Picture.

I have a hard time believing I could hate it more than Dances With Wolves. Thanks a lot, now I have to see American Sniper.

The only reason I hate Dances with Wolves is because it's not even close to being as great as Goodfellas.

You can make a pretty good argument that almost every Best Picture winner from 1980-1990 was won by the wrong movie with the right movie actually being one of the other nominees. 

• 1 month later...

I watched "Ida" last night. It felt like watching a movie from the 50s. Both visually and the pacing of it. The tone of the movie was very understated. The ending of the movie was ambiguous; the person I was watching it with saw it very differently.

I enjoyed it, but it didn't feel like an Oscar winner.

Best part was the Polish short director so-selling and defeating the orchestra.  We've always wondered what would happen and apparently they just give up and the re-set after awhile.  It's like seeing the screen reset if you beat Donkey Kong or something.  Leave it to an Eastern European intellectual to enact the absurd by refusing the boundaries of reality set around him.

The opening song as great but NPH's material has been pretty bad. Puns?  PUNS???????  What are you Norm Crosby???

Good to see GRAND BUDAPEST doing so well, though. And David Oyelowo's is keeping the faith. 

I hated the caricatures for the memorial.  It's always kind of moving to see the little clips of people working, and a nice reminder of what they were in for people who don't know them.  But the drawings had no impact.