DVDVR Message Board

OSCARS 2015

RIPPA

I'm a member of two critics groups, so just to let you guys know:

The only film screeners that have been sent out by studios so far have been: SNOWPIERCER, quite a few months ago; and Sony Picture Classics' LOVE IS STRANGE and MAGIC IN THE MOONLIGHT.

While I think MitM is pretty much a non-starter, don't be surprised if the first two receive a nod or two. Last year Fox beat everyone to voters' mailboxes with THE CROODS, which led to everyone wondering how in the hell it received as many award noms as it got,

Simple: send a voter a disc at the beginning of October, there's a chance they'll watch it. Send it around 12/1, when you are liable to find five DVDs in your mailbox each day, it will get lost in the shuffle.

• 2 months later...

Whiplash unexpectedly finds itself in the Best Adapted Screenplay category rather than Best Original.

http://deadline.com/2015/01/academy-and-wga-at-odds-over-acclaimed-whiplash-screenplay-will-it-hurt-oscar-chances-1201341846/#

Here is what happened: In order to try and get this wildly original and inventive script about an aspiring drummer and his maniacal teacher financed, the producers came upon a plan to shoot an 18-minute scene early in the script. It worked. They got financing to make the film, and the “short” turned out so well they entered it in the 2012 Sundance Film Festival Shorts competition where it won a prize. The next year the actual full feature film came back to Sundance and took the Grand Prize in the dramatic feature competition.

The Academy, according to its rules, considers a “short” to qualify under their guidelines of “Screenplays based on previously produced or published material.”

It might not be a bad thing - the competition in Best Adapted is arguably easier (Gone Girl, Theory of Everything, Imitation Game in Adapted vs. some subset of Boyhood, Birdman, Grand Budapest Hotel, Selma, Mr. Turner, Nightcrawler, Foxcatcher in Original).

The nerds here think that Edge of Tomorrow should've gotten some love for Best Adopted Screenplay and I am inclined to agree with them.

Bradley Cooper got snubbed for Best Actor for American Sniper so my money is on him to win the Oscar.

I thought Foxcatcher was based on Schultz's book.

Someone can correct me if this is wrong, but what I'm seeing is that since the filmmakers don't officially acknowledge that it's based on the book, it still qualifies as original.

No best foreign film nomination for Force Majeure, wow.

Full list is in the spoiler:

Best Picture
"American Sniper"
"Birdman"
"Boyhood"
"The Grand Budapest Hotel"
"The Imitation Game"
"Selma"
"The Theory of Everything"
"Whiplash"

Best Director
Wes Anderson, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Alejandro González Iñárritu, "Birdman"
Richard Linklater, "Boyhood"
Bennett Miller, “Foxcatcher”
Morten Tyldum, "The Imitation Game"

Best Actress
Marion Cotillard, “Two Days, One Night”
Felicity Jones, "The Theory of Everything"
Julianne Moore, "Still Alice"
Rosamund Pike, "Gone Girl"
Reese Witherspoon, "Wild"

Best Actor
Steve Carell, "Foxcatcher"
Bradley Cooper, “American Sniper”
Benedict Cumberbatch, "The Imitation Game"
Michael Keaton, "Birdman"
Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything"

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood"
Laura Dern, “Wild”
Keira Knightley, "The Imitation Game"
Emma Stone, "Birdman"
Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"

Best Supporting Actor
Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
Ethan Hawke, "Boyhood"
Edward Norton, "Birdman"
Mark Ruffalo, "Foxcatcher"
J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash"

Best Adapted Screenplay
Paul Thomas Anderson, “Inherent Vice”
Damien Chazelle, "Whiplash"
Jason Hall, “American Sniper”
Anthony McCarten, "The Theory of Everything"
Graham Moore, "The Imitation Game"

Best Original Screenplay
Wes Anderson and Hugo Guinness, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Dan Futterman and E. Max Frye, "Foxcatcher"
Dan Gilroy, "Nightcrawler"
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris and Armando Bo, "Birdman"
Richard Linklater, "Boyhood"

Best Foreign Language Film
"Leviathan"
"Ida"
"Tangerines"
“Timbuktu”
"Wild Tales"

Best Documentary Feature
"CITIZENFOUR"
“Finding Vivian Maier”
"Last Days in Vietnam"
“The Salt in the Earth”
"Virunga”

Best Animated Feature
"Big Hero 6"
"The Boxtrolls"
"How to Train Your Dragon 2"
“Song of the Sea”
"The Tale of The Princess Kaguya"

Film Editing
"American Sniper"
"Boyhood"
“The Grand Budapest Hotel”
"The Imitation Game"
"Whiplash"

Best Song
"Everything is Awesome" from "The LEGO Movie" (written by Shawn Patterson)
"Glory" from "Selma" (written by Common and John Legend)
Grateful
I’m Not Gonna Miss You
"Lost Stars" from "Begin Again" (written by Gregg Alexander, Danielle Brisebois, Nick Lashley and Nick Southwood)

Best Original Score
Alexandre Desplat, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Alexandre Desplat, "The Imitation Game"
Johann Johannsson, "The Theory of Everything"
Gary Yershon, “Mr. Turner”
Hans Zimmer, "Interstellar"

Best Cinematography
Roger Deakins, "Unbroken"
Emmanuel Lubezki, "Birdman"
Dick Pope, "Mr. Turner"
Robert Yeoman, "The Grand Budapest Hotel"
Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski, “Ida”

Best Costume Design
“Inherent Vice”
"Into the Woods"
"Maleficent"
"Mr. Turner"

Best Makeup and Hairstyling
"Foxcatcher"
"Guardians of the Galaxy"

Best Production Design
“The Imitation Game”
“Interstellar”
"Into the Woods"
"Mr. Turner"

Best Sound Editing
"American Sniper"
“Birdman”
"The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies"
"Interstellar"
"Unbroken"

Best Sound Mixing
"American Sniper"
"Birdman"
“Interstellar”
"Unbroken"
“Whiplash”

Best Visual Effects
Captain America:
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes"
"Guardians of the Galaxy"
"Interstellar"
"X-Men: Days of Future Past"

Best Short Film, Live Action
"Aya"
“Boogaloo and Graham”
“Butter Lamp”
“Parvaneh”
"The Phone Call"

Best Short Film, Animated
"The Bigger Picture"
"The Dam Keeper"
"Feast"
"Me and My Moulton"
“A Single Life”

Best Documentary, Short Subject
“Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1”
"Joanna"
"Our Curse"
“The Reaper”
"White Earth"

How the FUCK does the Lego Movie not get a Best Animated Film nomination???

Probably because its release was way too early for voters to remember.

The Best Actor category is 5 first time nominees and all are unbelievable performances. Though I think it will go to Keaton for Harvey Birdman. 

American Sniper is not very good. Actually, it's pretty fucking bad. Bradley Cooper's performance was very good but the screenplay is fucking atrocious and the fact that it was nominated for that and Best Picture pretty much tells you all you need to know about the Hollywood agenda. It is not a good movie.

Gone Girl was robbed. It should have picked up a Best Director nom for Fincher and definitely Best Cinematography.

The Best Actor category is 5 first time nominees and all are unbelievable performances.

And they snubbed Jake Gyllenhaal in Nightcrawler.

I wonder if the live action parts at the end disqualified it.

Apparently it was on the shortlist, so it was eligible.

Bah, they got it right by nominating Whiplash which really was the best picture of the year.  They could have nominated Tusk for Best Picture and I'd still be happy.

So is there a favorite?  This feels like one of those odd years where everything seems wide open.  A few weeks ago I would have thought The Imitation Game was going to be a lock, but it just doesn't seem to have that "buzz" behind it.

I think Boyhood or Birdman takes Best Picture. Probably Boyhood because it is an "achievement."  I don't have an issue with that but it does feel like a film people will forget about in a few years. 

American Sniper is probably the worst film to ever be nominated for Best Picture.

See, my gut tells me Boyhood is the favorite, but it just doesn't "feel" like something the Academy would really vote for.  It's not a message movie or a huge crowd-pleaser.  And it's not even really a Hollywood movie, it's an indie labor of love that caught on to a certain extent.  Hollywood tends to pat themselves on the back, and I don't think they would be with this one.

I literally have no problem with it or Birdman winning.  I enjoyed them both.

And Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is by far the worst movie to be nominated for best picture.  One of the very few movies I gave up on and never cared to finish.

I think Boyhood or Birdman takes Best Picture. Probably Boyhood because it is an "achievement."  I don't have an issue with that but it does feel like a film people will forget about in a few years. 

American Sniper is probably the worst film to ever be nominated for Best Picture.

Let's not get into immediate Hyperbole. I bet if you run through the list of all of them, you would find some worse ones.

For example, I was just reminded that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was nominated for 2011.

Let's not get into immediate Hyperbole. I bet if you run through the list of all of them, you would find some worse ones.

For example, I was just reminded that Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was nominated for 2011.

Not to even mention that it may not be the worst movie to be nominated this year.... hi, Theory of Everything.  

I love that we can now say Michael Keaton, Oscar nominee.  Or Guardians of the Galaxy, Oscar nominated movie.  Or Oscar nominated song 'Everything is Awesome'.

There's no sense bitching about the omissions, but it is fun to point out weirdness.  Like 'Nightcrawler' and 'Inherent Vice' getting nominations for being the best written movies of the year...and nothing else (Save a costume nomination for Vice).  Or Interstellar being nominated for Sound Mixing, when a good portion of the movie's audience didn't like the way the sound/music overwhelmed the dialogue in several scenes (I liked that, ftr, but can see why some were annoyed by it, Michael Caine's whole big speech, didn't hear a word of it).  Or Meryl Streep and Robert Duvall getting the "Oh Meryl's in a movie, better nominate her!" and "Good for him, still acting several years after his death!" nominations respectively, in spite of the fact their movies were either largely ignored or completely ignored, also respectively.