DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2014 - WEEK SEVEN

RIPPA

Not that I ever saw Broadway Joe play or anything, only highlights and Super Bowl III but previous generations will tell you to look past the stats. It was a different game. Take chances, don't worry as much about INTs. He was pretty great from what everyone says.

Anyway, the Niners are going to get destroyed tonight if they don't run some clock here. Bowman, Smith, etc. all still out. Peyton is going to have a field day.

Not that I ever saw Broadway Joe play or anything, only highlights and Super Bowl III but previous generations will tell you to look past the stats. It was a different game. Take chances, don't worry as much about INTs. He was pretty great from what everyone says.

Anyway, the Niners are going to get destroyed tonight if they don't run some clock here. Bowman, Smith, etc. all still out. Peyton is going to have a field day.

Yeah I think football of all the sports is probably the hardest one to look at guys between eras and really be able to tell a damn thing from numbers. Beyond just how much play calling has changed, you also have factors like the NFL having been so absurdly defensive for so long that it tricked two entire generations of human beings into thinking that was okay. Maybe that's one reason people bring up lack of rings with Peyton so much because it's pretty much the only thing that is consistent between eras.

And as much as he's a HOFer and Legend, Eli's better than Broadway Joe too. . .

A LOT of guys are better than Broadway Joe. He might be the worst QB in the Hall of Fame. In fact, I'd say he doesn't belong at all.

And as much as he's a HOFer and Legend, Eli's better than Broadway Joe too. . .

A LOT of guys are better than Broadway Joe. He might be the worst QB in the Hall of Fame. In fact, I'd say he doesn't belong at all.

If Stabler isn't good enough than Namath shouldn't be either.

If Namath is good enough then Stabler should be too.

• Like 2

Yeah I think football of all the sports is probably the hardest one to look at guys between eras and really be able to tell a damn thing from numbers.

Definitely. The numbers aren't even all that helpful when comparing guys in the same era. There are plenty of people that consider Elway the best quarterback ever. I doubt anyone would come to that conclusion if they were just looking at stats.

Yeah I think football of all the sports is probably the hardest one to look at guys between eras and really be able to tell a damn thing from numbers.

Definitely. The numbers aren't even all that helpful when comparing guys in the same era. There are plenty of people that consider Elway the best quarterback ever. I doubt anyone would come to that conclusion if they were just looking at stats.
Namath was a sub-.500 QB who threw a ton more picks than TDs. Even by the loose standards of the era, he was mediocre.

Eli just peaked at the right time and it worked out perfectly for him.  He was pretty mediocre to average as a QB, slowly improved his mechanics because he had a problem with sailing balls too high and getting picked off, and he hit his stride right when he was surrounded with the type of team to find success with the way he was playing, coaching staff included.  I feel like that window shut and he's back to his old ways and his team isn't what it used to be.  That doesn't mean he can't find that again and won't have the right pieces put around him at some point. 

NFL fans are pretty narrow minded.  Fans of NFC east teams for all the down years of the Cowboys just kept harping on how the Cowboys hadn't won a playoff game in however many seasons etc.  Why? Did people think they would never win a playoff game again? Stuff like that is head scratching.  Most starting Qbs can QB a team to a super bowl win in the right situation.  Hell, if Harbaugh wasn't such an insufferable prick they could have gotten Peyton Manning on the 49ers and probably won a ring or two.  Peyton has never had the luxury of having a really stout defense behind him. 

At least Peyton doesn't have such a massive ego that he planned ahead of time the celebration he and his WRs would do if he broke the record.

Oh, wait, he did.

Huge record and all that but, sorry, that kinda makes you a douche, Peyton.