DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2014 - WEEK SEVEN

RIPPA

I'm not sure what The Rams did there was totally legal but it was brilliant. Nobody on coverage watches the ball, I don't think, so I'm surprised nobody thought to try that before.

Seems to have resulted from film study/the Rams being so familiar with Seattle's punt coverage strategy due to being divisional rivals.

And the guy in return position exhibited the body language guys typically display when they're about to start signalling for a fair catch but didn't actually wave his arm up above his shoulder and make the actual fair catch signal (which must've been the objection Pete Carrol was running down the field to make).  Quite Cagey by the Rams.

I'm glad they waited until the end of the week to start making trouble for the rest of the division.

i.e. Seattle often kicks away from their coverage as a misdirection play, apparently, so the Rams doubled up their gunners on that one side and had one of them peel off to go where they figured the ball would go (and it did.  Made a nice over the shoulder catch, too)