DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2014 - WEEK SEVEN

RIPPA

Fuck you Jae!!!!!!

Damned 1-6. Had a chance to win six of the 7 games, only got shitkicked in San Diego. Less short field goals, and more red zone touchdowns, and they are in wild card contention right now. Hopefully they can beat the damned Bills next week.

There's a video floating around of a ref telling a Pats player to move from his illegal spot over the center instead of throwing a flag on that last FG.

Refs do that all the time. In every single game. For every single team.
  • Like 3

I don't know anything about the Rams these days other than me being creepy about Jeff Fisher, but I did watch most of that game last night after the Rams started to not look good. I don't know who that QB was, but I felt he threw some pretty good passes. A lot of theme, the receivers just didn't want to catch something. Made me wonder what he would be able to do with a WR that wants to win...

But what an ugly defense the Rams have. They didn't want to win either.

Austin Davis has been shockingly good so far. Like at this point I'm almost certain he is doing better than Sam Bradford would be doing at this point the season. For a team that was supposed to be built on defense and the running game, they are pretty terrible at both of those things. Without Austin Davis' ability to hit long passes (at least the ones that his receivers don't drop) they wouldn't have even been competitive in the games they have lost.
A lot of the throws that the WRs didn't want to catch made me think "Torre Holt would never.." Really, watching him made me excited for once this NFL season.

My team has been mediocre for years now, but the whole domestic issues and how the league has handled them really made me not want to care about pro football.

Somewhere, TO is plotting to kick McNabb's behind for the SuperBowl he would have won with the Eagles.

He's too busy plotting how to pay child support.

There's a video floating around of a ref telling a Pats player to move from his illegal spot over the center instead of throwing a flag on that last FG.

Refs do that all the time. In every single game. For every single team.

Friend of the program Dom Cosentino got ahold of NFL spokesman Greg Aiello for NJ.com. Here's how Aiello explains both the rule (that defenders must be outside the long-snapper's shoulder pads) and the official assisting in lining up:

"It is a standard officiating procedure that occurs regularly," league spokesman Greg Aiello told NJ.com in an email. "In fact, it is on [vice president for officiating] Dean Blandino's video that went to the teams [Thursday] and will be on the version of it that goes to the media [Friday]. That rule was adopted for player safety purposes, another good reason to help avoid violations in advance."

"Helping players get lined up properly takes place in other pre-snap situations to avoid administrative penalties," Aiello said. "It's a longstanding standard officiating mechanic."

(From NJ.com via Deadspin)

That was my take and it looked painful to me too. Has anyone else ever stepped on a buddies foot and then rolled your ankle or something in a game of basketball? That's how I took it.

Tom Brady looks at the ref and sees the ref is not yet looking, then falls to the ground as soon as the ref turns around.  Eddie Guererro would've been proud.

Now, granted, there IS a legitimate penalty on #91 for taking his helmet off on the field (not to mention half the coaching staff coming that far onto the field).  Silly as that rule is, its been on the books since Emmitt Smith played (i.e. for most of the lifetime of the current generation of players) so there's plenty to call on the Jets in that situation, going just by the .gif

• Like 1

I think #91's helmet got knocked off during the play.

EDIT: SB nation has a gif of what led to the "flop". 91 came off the bench with no helmet on. Does it still count as a penalty if you weren't in the play? The play happened right in front of the Jets bench, which explains why the coaches are on the field too, they are probably within two steps of the sideline.

Edited by Dewar

This gimmick where a lot of you hate teams for not being awful is incredibly tiresome.

Pretty sure it's called being a fan of teams that aren't the ones winning all the time. It's not a gimmick. It's a way of life.

Apparently Danny Amendola is still in the NFL.

I expect a fruit basket in the post from Mr Kraft. Had I kept him on my fantasy roster he'd still be in witness protection.

Just prior to Tom falling over I did like the O-line (I think it was Devey) giving the Jets a receipt for a late-ish hit on Sir Tom that led to the scuffle. Something's lit a fire under that line, quite possibly a literal one, and I like it.

Got this little factoid from the twitter machine.

Brandon Marshall receiving TD's since being traded to Bears: 23

All Dolphins WR receiving TD's since trading Marshall: 23

• Like 1