DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

Not going to do that, the game went the middle road between implosion and heroic deed from Germany. France were effective and scored with their really good opportunities. 

I actually thought we dominated the first half aside from the first six, seven minutes where they put on lots of pressure. And we not only looked like winning it, but even like crushing Les Bleux. They lost possession in their defensive third all the time, messed up every counter and there might have been two or three individual runs but those got stopped everytime and with ease. Then came the 45th minute.

How the hell we conceed pens like that in back to back games is beyond me. Nothing wrong with the call, everything wrong players with that experience level doing this. We tried to much possession football bs in the second half, lost another player due to injury and then gave away an easy second goal due to an individual mistake.

In that phase between the two goals we effectively lost the game, partly because France defended well enough, partly because we had no punch. After conceeding that ugly second goal the team threw everything forward. Neither mad about our performance nor a French win. Could have won it even without Gomez, Hummels and Khedira. But we didn't and it's okay. At least we got past Italy. And made it to another Final Four.

Probably not going to watch the final. I have no hate for any of the teams, but also not even slight interest in either and in the matchup itself. This tournament has been long and uninteresting and even as a fan of football I simply don't care with all "my" teams eliminated. EURO 2016 serves me best as a reminder on why I loved the 16-Team-Euros so much. Thank you all for the discussions, it was still lots of fun talking through the tournament with you guys.

• Like 2

Just before halftime, I found myself saying, "Throw your hands in the air. Unless your name is Schwein-stei-ger."

Yeah, that's all I got for this one.

• Like 2

I'm not going to watch the finals. Portugal, France and Belgium were the teams I wanted to lose most. Portugal solely because of Ronaldo, admittedly. I used to like Portugal. Luís Figo was wonderful.

At least Belgium imploded. I'll always have that to fondly look back on and smile.

Yeah, the whole 'One man team' hype, and then they win the game while he's not on the pitch. Good for them. Vamos!

My wife watched this because for some reason she saw Ronaldo in a match years ago (WC maybe) and instantly hated his face so much that she has watched the whole tournament just to hate on him.

I was pretty impressed today just by her heartlessness in this.  As he struggled and cried and suffered she cackled.  At one point when the were carrying him of on a stretcher she gleefully squeed "Hey, maybe he's dead!" in the same tone of voice as Stan Marsh's sister.  I was like "Damn, lady, what demon is in you?"

It was eye-opening.  I mean I hate him to, but that was next level psychopathy. I will learn to sleep with one eye open.

First and foremost: Congrats to Marcos Loura. Hope you enjoyed the victory. This is a great day for Portugal, who "greeced" it, albeit with better players.

Nobody deserves to get injured, though Cristiano seemed genuinely happy the squad won without him. I didn't see the match, but the highlights. One of my best friends who was a talented CM at one point was tackled in a similar way once, resulting in a torn ACL and never-ending knee problems. Hope Ronaldo is spared from this fate.

Taking the look at the tournament, the following spells / streaks ended in EURO 2016. List is from the top of my head, you are welcome to add if you have anything: 

Portugal's title drought

France's Germany curse (boo ;))

Germany eliminating host countries in major tournaments in k.o.-games since 1972, especially when facing them in semis.

France series of winning homefield tourneys ended with yesterday's finals. They had won 1984 (EURO) and 1998  (WC) aswell as the 2003 Confed Cup which was held in France. They hadn't won 1938's World Cup and 1964's EUROs, so this isn't a first.

The loss at Stadé de France for les Bleux marks the first loss at said stadium during major tournaments.

Germany's Italy curse (yay :D)

Italy beat Spain after not being able to beat them the last three times the teams faced off in tournaments.

Spain not conceeding in EURO matches ended after more than seven games in their group encounter with Croatia.

The fact every EURO final had at least one goal scored within 90 minutes ended this final.

Ireland finally making the k.o. stages in an EURO tournament.

Iceland being the first Scandinavian side to win a k.o. stages match in any major tournament since Denmark 1998, first in EURO's since Denmark 1992. (I really wanted to feature Iceland here ;))

Following series/spells/streaks that I know of remained intact:

Germany made tournament semis consecutively six times.

Germany haven't lost a PK-shootout at major tournaments since EURO 1976.

England has lost all of their EURO k.o.-stage matches since 1996. 

Hosts haven't won EUROs since 1984, even though there were a lot of big nations and former champions among the host nations.

Enough from me now. Once again, thanks for the talk and discussion. It was huge fun with you guys.

• Like 2