DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

Seven years ago today my mother passed away in 2009 and because of this my heart was very much in my chest about the match today but that was a pretty easy 3-0 win for La Furia Roja against Turkey. Morata bagged a brace and Nolito got one in as well. 1st half was better than 2nd half, 2nd half was a bit just cruising through. Pretty happy with this obviously, especially today!

Trouble with the Croatian fans fighting in the crowd? I did Nazi this coming (remember they got sanctioned in qualifying for, uh, creative groundskeeping)

Former England goalie Gordon Banks set a record 50 years ago for most consecutive minutes played without conceding a goal (in competitive (not friendlies) international matches). 442 minutes. In the 83rd minute of Spain vs Turkey, Dave De Gea broke that record. And he'll extend it against Croatia unless they score from the kickoff or something.

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

Trouble with the Croatian fans fighting in the crowd? I did Nazi this coming (remember they got sanctioned in qualifying for, uh, creative groundskeeping)

I'm not sure how related the two incidents are (not that anyone would care about it). The one you mention may have been just my countrymen making fools of themselves (thought it also could have been a sabotage like this one was) but this particular incident was carefully orchestrated and planned for months in advance. There is a portion of folks with a lot of free time and no life that are very bothered about how things are run in the Croatian Football Federation (it's about as shady and illegal as anywhere else) and always try and make a ruckus when the national team plays to get our national team punished and/or suspended and try and make the people in charge step down. It hasn't worked and it never will but that won't stop them from trying. Your average fan despises them but our inefficient laws make dealing with that group of people quite hard.

• Like 1

It only took a couple of years for Wilmots to not-really-admit-he-was-wrong-but-he-was-so-so-wrong-the-entire-time. But Belgium played more or less the way they should have been playing for ages, and it showed. Still... Go Sweden!

16 hours ago, GOTNW said:

I'm not sure how related the two incidents are (not that anyone would care about it). The one you mention may have been just my countrymen making fools of themselves (thought it also could have been a sabotage like this one was) but this particular incident was carefully orchestrated and planned for months in advance. There is a portion of folks with a lot of free time and no life that are very bothered about how things are run in the Croatian Football Federation (it's about as shady and illegal as anywhere else) and always try and make a ruckus when the national team plays to get our national team punished and/or suspended and try and make the people in charge step down. It hasn't worked and it never will but that won't stop them from trying. Your average fan despises them but our inefficient laws make dealing with that group of people quite hard.

Following up on this, ESPN FC actually did some proper coverage for once.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, piranesi said:

I really hope the 2nd half of this Portugal/Austria game is exactly the same as the first, if only for the Ronaldo-crying gifs.

I don't think I (my heart) could deal with that. Though at least the last 10 minutes are halfway okay from an Austrian point-of-view, the rest was... well... horrible.

It's not your team now. It's Ronaldo's team. It'll only start belonging to the Portuguese people again after he retires.

• Like 2