DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

Iceland´s population is something like 330 000 people and the country has a winter that takes up roughly two thirds of the year. Portugal looked very dominant from the highlights (couldn´t see the match unfortunately). Yet it amazes me that every media outlet acts as if those guys are still vikings who occasionally kick a ball after a raid. I think every Icelandic player is under contract in well established European leagues. Of course, the most viking looking player ever as their goalscorer will keep that clichee alive. Really happy for every Icelander I´ve met and the country as a whole for their good showing in their first game.

Hungary beating Austria has to be one of the big surprises this tournament, Austria is in line with Belgium in being a vastly talented side that (seemingly) hasn´t shown their true potential yet. This result will be tough to come back from, however. Especially considering you´d probably need four points at the very least to advance as one of the top four 3rd-places.

And true to form, rather than taking any responsibility for missing a gilt-edged chance late in the match to win it for his side or give his opponents any credit, CR7 whines about how Iceland (the country with a population of 323,000, playing in the final stages of an International tournament for the first time ever) played with a counter-attacking mindset against Portugal (population of over 10,000,000 and runners up of the 2004 Euros).

celebscry-14.jpg

Talented as he may be, I'm glad that he will never win anything on the International stage.

• Like 1

Good for France that a game lasts 90 minutes and not 88 (ignoring injury time, of course).

My Austrians had a really bad start to the tournament yesterday. Though I must say that I am not surprised, the friendlies this year were not really good either and quite some players seem to be off-form. Austria is still waiting for a win at a Euro or World Cup since 1990 (2-1 against the US), 7 non wins (3 draws, 4 losses) in a row.

You can say one thing about France: They know how to put in a shift an win a game. Also, their fans are great at switching from "you guys are the worst and we hate you" to "allez les bleus" within the blink of a goal. But maybe every fan in international tournaments is like that nowadays and I´m watching too little of the EURO 2016 right now.

Germany vs Poland is on today. With all the hooligan violence I´d be surprised if nothing bad happens outside the pitch. The game is tough to call. Neither team looked great in their opener, both are capable of creating chances and scoring goals. Hummels might join the German backline, which would be a plus despite Mustafi´s goal should he be at a hundred percent or close to this. Hopefully our team can keep both Milik and Lewandowski in check.

On ‎06‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:09 AM, Zheroen said:

And true to form, rather than taking any responsibility for missing a gilt-edged chance late in the match to win it for his side or give his opponents any credit, CR7 whines about how Iceland (the country with a population of 323,000, playing in the final stages of an International tournament for the first time ever) played with a counter-attacking mindset against Portugal (population of over 10,000,000 and runners up of the 2004 Euros).

celebscry-14.jpg

Talented as he may be, I'm glad that he will never win anything on the International stage.

Kari Arnason nailed it.

His comments drew mass criticism on social media and now Malmo defender Arnason, who has also played for Rotherham, Plymouth Argyle and Aberdeen, has launched a quite brutal response.

"Ronaldo is a fantastic footballer - but he's not a gracious human being,” he said.” "This is the reason why Messi is always going to be one step ahead of him.

"But judging by his comments we clearly got under his skin. So in a way, yeah, it was nice to hear. It makes it even sweeter when he's a sore loser like that. I mean, he can say whatever he wants. He didn't really get a chance - he got one and he couldn't put it away. So what can I say? Sore loser. Tough s***."

“He didn’t want to lose the game. What does he expect – for us to play like Barcelona against him? He fannies about and dives around.

“Obviously we were the underdog, we played like the underdog and we were unlucky not to win the game.”

• Like 1

Gareth Bale has been talking a lot of shit in the build-up to this. Welsh players are prouder and more patriotic than English ones, he says. No England player would be good enough to make it into the Wales team, he says. Which does beg the question why so many of the Wales team have English accents, but none of the England players have Welsh accents.

Seeing as to how Ukraine wasn't able to stop the same set piece sequence N.Ireland messed up against Poland I'm 100% sure they didn't put in any prep time at all in this game. They look a lot less inspired than against us. Hopefully this tells more about them than about Germany.

This is the second free kick of the tournament from Bale that got handled awfully by the keeper. Hart is not that bad, but he is nowhere near other No. 1s.

On 13.6.2016 at 6:45 PM, Death From Above said:

Ireland/Sweden hasn't been the best advertisement for the 24 team tourney[...]

Neither was GER v POL. Some good defending, two or three good chances MAYBE. Friendliest friendly I've ever seen at a tournament. Couldn't really feel any electricity for that Match, which NEVER happens in games for "MY" team when it counts. I still happily take a draw after that 90-Minute-pee-break. We're NOT a favourite for EURO 16 winners, but who is at this point?

On 11/06/2016 at 9:13 PM, Roman said:

Sterling looks like an out-of-shape dwarf with a Kim Kardashian-sized ass whenever he's running. It's distracting.

Quality. £49 million? Fuck off.

On 14/06/2016 at 6:28 PM, The Natural said:

Listened to radio commentary more than watching the games. Think that will change on Thursday with England vs. Wales. Fancy Wales for the win or draw.

My appointment was running late so I managed to see the last five minutes in the pub. Well timed that. Place was packed and erupted with the winner.

On 15/06/2016 at 6:09 AM, Zheroen said:

celebscry-14.jpg

19 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Kari Arnason nailed it.

This.

People are finally beginning to understand Marc Wilmots is a retard. Too little too late. I hope Ireland fucks them up. My hatred for this team knows no bounds.

When Wilmots was appointed as coach (and before every single Belgian turned into a humongous asshole whenever it comes to football), I was happy that Wilmots got his chance. When he was a player, he was a no-nonsense kind of guy, a natural leader and he fearlessly battered his way through his opponents, even if they were huge names (in comparison to the 'small' Belgians). I hoped he would instill some of that in the current generation. Instead, he's a retard.