DVDVR Message Board

EURO 2016 THREAD

RIPPA

Doesn't matter. They'll be saying it in French, Dutch and German, and it's easy to pretend you don't speak any of those.

Things are rounding into form ahead of the tournament in the chatter I have seen around. All the routine points are there.

- False hope among England fans

- "The only thing that can stop France is France themselves, what are the odds that happens again"

- Team that wasn't going to win anyway has their excuse now

- Debating Spain's defense as if they will ever touch the ball, win or lose

- "(Insert player here) isn't really a central forward so I'm sure Germany will not score"

- Italy is old go figure

It's all going to be great.

I'm picking France to win at home, but who knows really. Quite a few good options.

I would name France and Spain as the favourites if I had to. England looks like they´re back on track aswell. Germany is always a possibility to make the final four, but I´m truly lacking confidence. Truth is our worst games were test matches, but we didn´t look good in the qualifiers. Granted, we weren´t the only ones, but we seemed so uninspired and saturated since winning Brazil 2014. Plus the usual habit for Germany is to get into a slump after a World Championship so I wouldn´t be surprised if we´d get eliminated in the quarterfinals or even earlier.

Gotsta go with France. That is a team that could be great for a decade with all the young talent they've produced. I mean, the same can be said for the Belgians but...

Well, on paper France had a great team going into the 2010 World Cup as well, and that didn't go too well for them. Leaving Benzema at home in an attempt to help team unity might backfire spectacularly (although bringing him anyway would probably have backfired too).

• 2 weeks later...

Some England fans were drinking in a bar. Some French fans turned up for 'banter'. So the England fans returned the 'banter'. And the French cops decided to go all tear gas and riot shields right away.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Some England fans were drinking in a bar. Some French fans turned up for 'banter'. So the England fans returned the 'banter'. And the French cops decided to go all tear gas and riot shields right away.

when i was reading tweets from ken early who was in the pub, it sounded like english fans were just there when french group showed up and started throwing stuff and it escalated  from there.

Admittedly, i read all this in my timeline after the fact.

Football is great. It took nothing short of a wonder-strike to make the crowd turn 180 degrees from jeering and whistling to go "alèz les bleues". I only saw the goals and minutes 10 to 45. Those minutes looked like a typical campaign opener for a favourited team against a strong and valiantly defending team. Lots of shaky stuff, not too many chances and lots of easy turnovers on both ends. Goal from Payet was wonderful and could be quite catalyst for the French campaign. 

Payet was superb from start to finish. That goal was the perfect reward for an excellent performance. What's the reason the French hate Giroud, though? (Well, until he scored, of course, because chauvinism.)

Five minutes in and Switzerland's already ahead. Not a big surprise, really.

Let's go, Wales! I hope you brought your awesome, awesome fans with you! (Judging by everyone singing along to the national anthem, that seems to be the case... Fucking hell. Goosebumps. Actual goosebumps at such passionate singing.)