DVDVR Message Board

October 2014 NHL Thread - The Quest for Lord Stanley's Cup Begins

evilwaldo

Good to see the Tank For Connor movement is well underway for my Sabres. And no RJ calling the games is even worse, really the only victory I want this season is for him to beat cancer.

Sedins and Vrbata are going to be fun to watch all season.

I haven't been a fan of most of Benning's moves but that was astute and if the Canucks are to do something this season, it will largely be based off of that and the Desjardins hiring. I was watching baseball and not giving the game a tonne of attention but from the 2nd onward the Canucks looked fantastic.

Burrows got away with a brutal hand pass non-call that leads to a goal and he even got an assist. Classic Burrows!

Everybody knows that Sbisa was a bad idea from the get go. He doesn't offset his bad defensive play with enough physicality or offense. We've kind of been spoiled in the past with depth D, Mike Weaver being my favourite, but this year we are thin.

Fuck yeah, Sharks, btw.

Two games into the season, my take on the Red Wings:

- they're a LOT faster than previous years.  Slugs like Bertuzzi and Samuelsson are long gone, replaced by a whole bunch of guys that can actually skate

- both games - Boston & Anaheim - have been outstanding

- brutal turnovers led to the only Boston goal and the first two Anaheim goals.  Same problem as last year though defensive coverage and pressure have been a LOT better than last year

- the officiating in both games has been pretty badly anti-Detroit.  Boston game, one ref watched Zdeno Chara lay a vicious crosscheck into Darren Helm's back, sending him flying - no call.  Just a brutal, brutal no-call.  Anaheim game, Ryan Kesler nailed Brendan Smith in the head with an elbow - in front of a ref - and then got shoved by Luke Glendening.  Kesler then crosschecked Glendening.  And a penalty was called on....Glendening.  Worst of all, though, was the ending to the Anaheim game.  23 seconds left, Getzlaf pulls down Kronwall deep in the Detroit zone, allowing him to steal the puck and walk right in front and score the winning goal.  Just a terrible, terrible no-call.  No excuse for it.

- since I have NHL Gamecenter, I get both feeds of every game.  I watch the Detroit feed but flipped to the end of the game to see how Anaheim's guys would react to the game-winning goal.  They immediately said Anaheim "got away with one there" and then also just as fast started backtracking.  They first tried to claim an interference not called on Franzen (wasn't a penalty, good no-call) and then went right to the "well, it's late in the game, they let the boys play" thing.  Detroit's guys, of course, just flat-out said "the Red Wings got screwed". 

- Gus Nyquist continues roll offensively, scoring in both games.  He looked great against Anaheim, flying all over the place and scoring his goal on an awesome fake and then top-shelf wrist shot. 

- Johan Franzen has looked great so far.  He apparently got mad at criticism that he was one-dimensional (goal scoring, which he didn't do much of the last couple years) and got himself into better shape.  He's skating a LOT better and has been a lot more active thus far.  I'm sure that'll last about 3 weeks and then he'll go 20 games with 2 points before an injury but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Anyway, two games in, so far, so good.  Scoring will almost surely still be a problem this season but effort, intensity, and defensive presence are all way up from last year.  And team speed, of course.  Am very pumped for the rest of the season.

* - Paid $134 for Gamecenter and so far am very happy with it.  My only gripe is that replays of games aren't available until 6-12 hours after the game ends.  Since most Detroit games start at 4 or 4:30 my time, I am rarely around for the live broadcast and have to watch the replays.  Having them not available until essentially the next day sucks. If I can catch the game while it's still going on, I can start it from the beginning.  The bonus of the replay is that all the extra crap is cut out so a full game takes about 1:40 to watch.  Not bad at all.

Anyway, fun start

My friend and I got gamencenter and paid only $99.99 (continuing member fee? I really don't know why it was that much). Then we found out that Rogers has bought out the service in Canada and is charging a bunch more, I think closer to what Tabe paid. But, because we signed with unblock-us on and made it look like we're in the States, I cannot log into the Canadian apps and have to jump through a bunch of hoops to watch games. Kind of a pain in the ass but it's a good service overall. The only thing I get annoyed with is on computers it doesn't ever go full screen completely and leaves a bunch of black space around the picture to make room for the controls at the bottom. It's 2014, mother fuckers! That stuff is supposed to pop up when you move the mouse!

In summation, first world problems.

Tabe, which device are you watching because it doesn't take nearly that long for games to be watchable after they're done on the pc ("the pc" did I just pull a Bret Hart a la "the WCW"?). Haven't tried with PS4 yet, which I'm guessing is your device.

Edit: just checked on PS4 and yeah, certainly takes longer. Apple devices are pretty much instant just like the pc. 

The couple times I checked was on my PS3. I'll try my Apple TV and see if the game shows up sooner. Maybe it's faster on there because they don't mark key moments in the game like on the PS3.

So Jordan Staal is out for a bit. Jeff Skinner is concussed. Now Eric Staal is hurt (not sure for how long, he didn't practice this morning). This Hurricanes team is going to be real bad.

But of course, they aren't going to be so bad that they end up with a good shot at the lottery. No, they'll rally in February and finish with the #9 draft pick.

Fucking Hurricanes.

My friend and I got gamencenter and paid only $99.99 (continuing member fee? I really don't know why it was that much). Then we found out that Rogers has bought out the service in Canada and is charging a bunch more, I think closer to what Tabe paid. But, because we signed with unblock-us on and made it look like we're in the States, I cannot log into the Canadian apps and have to jump through a bunch of hoops to watch games. Kind of a pain in the ass but it's a good service overall. The only thing I get annoyed with is on computers it doesn't ever go full screen completely and leaves a bunch of black space around the picture to make room for the controls at the bottom. It's 2014, mother fuckers! That stuff is supposed to pop up when you move the mouse!

In summation, first world problems.

Tabe, which device are you watching because it doesn't take nearly that long for games to be watchable after they're done on the pc ("the pc" did I just pull a Bret Hart a la "the WCW"?). Haven't tried with PS4 yet, which I'm guessing is your device.

Edit: just checked on PS4 and yeah, certainly takes longer. Apple devices are pretty much instant just like the pc. 

Yeah, you don't really need Unblock for a BC customer. I don't think anything is blacked out here.